Anyone Trying Anything New This Year ?

Jmo1685

Hey Guys,

So with the weather about to get warmer in a few weeks, I've been creating some new packbaaits / method feeder baits for this upcoming season. I'm also preparing a batch of homemade pop-ups to use as well. How about the rest of you guys ? Trying anything new this season ? Or sticking to tried and true methods ?

I started out with peaches & creme in the early season , but when the gobies came to the table I used boiled maize on the hair , flavored with pineapple or vanilla . Also used the pack baits with corn puffs with a little help from my friend Mr.Hemp ....a seedy old character. I have a few new smelly things to try this year , but hopefully filet mignon to them .

I'm just getting into carping this year having never been able to land a brute it's my goal this year. Been doing a ton of research and going to try a whole bunch of new things while keeping record of what works where and when etc. We shall see how it goes. Pretty excited not going to lie.

For me, it won't be so much about trying new baits or presentations, but trying new venues.

I'm afraid I get stuck visiting my same Hamilton Harbour haunts year after year, so this year I'd like to travel to some new and different swims.

Over the winter, I did some traveling on Google Maps( very cheap on gas ), took some notes and made a few phone calls. The result is a small collection of new waters to explore that hold promise. Although there are carp present, these aren't 'big fish' waters( I'll stick to Hammy Harbour for that ), but it's all about some fresh scenery and a bent rod for me.

Good luck to all!

I'm thinking i will try the lower grand river hit all the marshes they hold some big carp there as the water gets warmer i wan't to take the boat and start looking for them

i have seen some monsters in there in the fall duck hunting it's a must to get in there for me so i guess i will be changing things up a bit as far as new waters to fish

I'm with you guys on new venues.. I moved to Brampton last year and this winter i too went on Google Maps and have found a few ponds nearby that I think could have carp. I also plan on fishing the lakefront in all the marinas and the lower stretches of Duffins, Rouge and The Credit as the water warms up.

I started to soak my particles for my new groundbait mixture.. Hempseed and pigeon conditioner... the rest is coming together Thursday so I can go out on Friday!

Mike, This year i plan on hitting up Hammy Harbour on a weekend or two.. Never fished there before but I wanna give it a try. CCIW, Pier 8 and Bayfront Park are on my to fish list!

Those are all good locations to try Jmo. Hope to run into you. Just leave Pier 8 'til late July or early August. That's when the carp appear there in better numbers( Perhaps because it's around 18 feet deep and warms up so late? ).

Hmmmm. Didn't know it was that deep there. I'll put it as my August fishing trip. Most of my weekends I'll be back in Niagara because the GF has a kayak, so were gunna be out yakking around. There's a few spots where I bass fish that I noticed big carp last year so I'm going to carp those spots. One has me really excited. Super deep and clear water.

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon to a pond in Brampton. Hoping to finally catch my first of the year.

I'm always surprised I don't see more carpers down the lower Niagara. I have only carped a couple times down there and managed a 25lber. If someone is looking for a new PB I would assume this would be an easy place to get it.

I don't carp fish, so maybe this area isn't what the typical carp angler is looking for.

I'm always surprised I don't see more carpers down the lower Niagara. I have only carped a couple times down there and managed a 25lber. If someone is looking for a new PB I would assume this would be an easy place to get it.

I don't carp fish, so maybe this area isn't what the typical carp angler is looking for.

most carp guys (guilty as charged) carry a TON of gear. Probably the main reason :)

most carp guys (guilty as charged) carry a TON of gear. Probably the main reason :)

Oh yes... 5 gallon bucket full of chum (if its a serious session), rods, rod pod, backpack with other stuff and miscellaneous tackle. Then there is the chair, bivvy if you got one.. I don't wanna go up or down the stairs to the whirlpool carrying all my usual carp stuff. One trip and i could break something, and that something is probably expensive

There are a few creeks along the upper that hold HUGE carp. They are too shallow for boats unfortunately. While paddling them last year, you could see dozens sticking out of the water. Could quite literally scoop them with a net, but wheres the fun in that.

Going to be starting a baiting campaign soon at a venue close to home. Good strategy as long as I can keep the swim secret, wouldn't want to throw out bait for 2 weeks to show and see someone fishing my spot. Should be ok as its not a really heavily fished area by carpers and its very early in the season still. Will be throwing a mix of maize, cracked corn and hemp. Will bait daily at the same time for a couple weeks. I don't plan to feed heavily as its still early and fish don't have the feed bag on yet. I just want to condition the carp to check the swim daily. I plan to fish the swim with maize and pop up corn.

Going to be starting a baiting campaign soon at a venue close to home. Good strategy as long as I can keep the swim secret, wouldn't want to throw out bait for 2 weeks to show and see someone fishing my spot. Should be ok as its not a really heavily fished area by carpers and its very early in the season still. Will be throwing a mix of maize, cracked corn and hemp. Will bait daily at the same time for a couple weeks. I don't plan to feed heavily as its still early and fish don't have the feed bag on yet. I just want to condition the carp to check the swim daily. I plan to fish the swim with maize and pop up corn.

Like you said, keep it light. I wouldn't put more than about 25% of your chum mix as the maize. In fact, if you're using cracked maize, keep the actual whole maize even less. They'll recognize the cracked corn as bait and since it's so similar, they'll take the maize hook bait option. May I suggest pigeon feed ? Soaked and boiled, it's a lot of small particles to keep them lightly feeding (like you said, they're feed bags haven't turned on yet). Or go with something like ground up dog food aswell ? It can make a cloud in the water to attract the fish, and again, won't fill them up !

Archived