Carpcapade

smerchly

I decided to give Jordan another go today ....been very slow there lately .  Armed with a big bag of oats & a can of cream corn & puffed corn , I hit the water at 8:30 am , chummed the shallow spot with a cream corn oat mix ( pack bait) ,& put a piece of puffed corn on the hook .....lots of small bites & a few slight bends in on the rod , but no takers for over 3 hrs. I was going to call it a day , but decided to try deeper water at another spot ....same rig except larger egg sinker and using a hair rig with puffed corn .  I tossed the line in after chumming and got a carp on in less than 3 minutes . It took off & peeled off about 100' of line .....and puffftt....it was gone , slipped off the small hook .  I rigged up again ,  same spot & in about 5 seconds after hitting bottom I had another one !  This carp fought and fought until my arm was giving out . It was by far the longest battle I 've ever had with a carp . I brought it  into shore at least 10 times and it would take off again , peeling out 50 -60' every time . After at least 30 minutes and several attempts to net this monster , I finally succeeded !  I could barely lift it with my battled out arm & body soaked from sweating in the bright sun !  She came in at just a few ounces under 30#  ....almost beat my pb  ! 

after removing the hook I saw the hook was outside of the mouth ....may be the reason it wouldn't give up the fight for a half hour ....

SAM_7208.JPG

SAM_7210.JPG

SAM_7209.JPG

oh yes ...the rig ......

SAM_7212.JPG

Corn puffs quickly  become very soft  after entering the water & small fish like gobies  or dink perch or large lake minnows (chub) will rob your  bait and you may see the puff  floating on the surface and have to keep baiting up .  Time to bring out the maize again .......   :Gonefishing:

Hay way to go smerch looks like we both had good luck i think if i got there at the time i wanted to go [slept in:wall:] i might have had 

more fish to show i'm thinking my biggest fish this morning was 25 lbs my PB 

Hey Dan ....I can get the girl free with my good looks ......but $560 for the reel is too mucho moola for this boy !  And my 12 volt deep cycle battery is a pain carrying it more than 1/2 mile...   :huh:

I have a spool of 30# braid .....suppose I could beef up the gear a tad for those stubborn hulks that play hard ball .  Time to visit the store to get a few cans of P & C corn & chase those brutes again .

.....well , I beefed up my carp rig.....spooled up the bait runner with 150 yds. of 30# Power Pro braid  and rigged it up with a test hair rig ......no knots all the way to the hook . ....all 30# braid !   I found a way to slip on the corn (can or maize) , or puff ,  and also can add a floating rubber corn with just one tiny knot at the end of the hair rig .....can also use a slide sinker (egg) , or a bolt rig .  May give this a whirl early tomorrow for a couple hours , before it get too damn hot !   :Gonefishing:

Archived