GRASS CARP

smerchly

I've been doing some Googling , looking at ways to catch grass carp .  They also feed on bottom like our regular carp so I have a pot full of maize sitting in water on the hot asphalt driveway to  soften the maize before I put it on my ice fishing stove,  outside to keep it cool inside . It might boil out there today  lol ...temp over 90F in the shade ! 

I found lots of info for baits and methods to catch them .....will try a few of them at Gibby after this hot spell is over . One of the grass carp on a video was 64 lbs....but I would be happy to break 40 lbs.  :wub:

In this video ,  the guys shows a good way to clean a big carp , using a sawzall  .  The fillets are then headed for the smoker .  Tastes like chicken ?  ....nope ....he said it tastes like ham !   That's why we call them  pigs .....:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pYQ9r6wE8

Bill, I'm almost finished modifying an attachment on a  cordless drill, that you can use as a power assist on your reel, if needed hauling in one of those big brutes B)

I might need that auto reel Dan , I seem to be hooking the carp by the cheeks or fins lately , and they are destroying my arms . We may see grass carp reach 50lbs.+ at Gibby soon .  I may have to call 911 for assistance . 

I boiled up a batch of maize today ....took longer to soften and expand (about 2x) . I added some pineapple scent to it ....smelled up the whole neighbourhood real pretty like.....

....started by setting the corn/water sit on the hot asphalt for an hour .... over 100*F in the sun... don't need the extra heat in the house ....

SAM_7232.JPG

...brought it to a boil on the Coleman propane stove for about 20 minutes & let it cool down for an hour

SAM_7234.JPG

SAM_7236.JPG

much softer after final soak and smells good too ...I took longer to soften the corn that I bought last year ...think it has dried out more....kept in the big 55# bag inside a tote ....

....ended up with 8 bags about 1.5 lbs + each .  ....13 lbs.after cooking .....hope they like my cooking .....:Gonefishing:

911 for assistance :lol:

May have to tag team those brutes.

Looks like your set up with bait and chum for a while.

I was out at Gibby this evening. No fish but nice wind off the

water made it very comfortable.

:Gonefishing:

I gave the new batch of maize a try today ....used it for chum & baited up with P.& C. can corn .  No bites at spot #1 (new spot) for 2 hrs ., went to old spot (deeper water) & hooked a real lively girl . She got me into the weeds & the 30# braid  & 20# gut leader pulled her out of it .  Off she went again for another 5 minutes !  It's a little tricky to haul these big mamas into the net solo  lol !  She tipped the scales at 21 lbs ....my largest so far at Gibby ......still waiting to hook one with the thin lips .....:wub:

...she was a real pretty lady .....a little overweight , but corn does that to ya ......

SAM_7248.JPG

These ducks were cleaning up some of the spilled maize ....hope they liked pineapple ....

SAM_7246.JPG

Archived