What to do with ....

smerchly

I have been looking through the regs for info regarding invasive species .......like the grass carp . We know these carp have been in our waters for some time now . Do they pose any more of of threat than the euro carp ? ......or a mute swan ?    " IF" I catch one I expect it will be in the 20 -30 lb. range .....so ....what are we supposed to do with this fish ? I can't find anything on disposing of large fish like grass carp , rudd , etc . This is a quote from the 2016 regs.

t is illegal to possess live invasive fish, including Round Goby, Tubenose
Goby, Grass Carp, Bighead Carp, Black Carp, Silver Carp, Rudd, Ruffe and
any species of snakehead. If any of these species are caught, they should
be destroyed and not released back into any waters

Do they want us to leave a big carp to stink up the shore ....or bring it home and ???  .  I wish they would spell it out and tell us what to do ....we don't all have rose bushes .... As it stands now , I would release it back into the water ......:read:......:dunno:

Contact the MNR and DFO ASAP and get ready to hold onto the fish until a response team gets there. They will want the fish for sampling purposes. 

13 hours ago, Jmo1685 said:

Contact the MNR and DFO ASAP and get ready to hold onto the fish until a response team gets there. They will want the fish for sampling purposes. 

I assume all those grass carp the research people caught are now deceased (  dispatched ) . If they just want a scale sample , then to release it we would need to keep the fish in the water on a stringer or in the net until they arrived .  If it was made clear they do not want the grass carp returned to the lake I wouldn't mind taking the fish home & call them to take it . They didn't advise what procedure to follow if we caught one of these fish .....

They cut open the fish to check on the reproductive organs to determine weather the the fish are at a sexually reproductive age and to determine what the sex of the fish is. 

If we catch one at the TRCA the fish is kept in a livewell until the DFO and MNR arrive to take it for processing. 

I guess its kind of a case of peoples better judgement and what they think they should do. Until they say that a population is more established, I would just hold on to the fish until they show up. They have a response team that should get out there quickly

Thanks JMO  ,  I appreciate the info . It's good to have someone on the inside here to help us deal with this stuff .

Now ......to catch one of these carp is going to be a challenge when they are living among our
regular carp .....any idea what veggies they prefer ?    ;)

38 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Thanks JMO  ,  I appreciate the info . It's good to have someone on the inside here to help us deal with this stuff .

Now ......to catch one of these carp is going to be a challenge when they are living among our
regular carp .....any idea what veggies they prefer ?    ;)

I swear I read somewhere about using cherry tomatoes as bait. Don't know how true it is, but getting one on a hair wouldn't be too hard. 

Archived