That time of year (again)

NiagaraRiverFisher

Went down to Queenston last evening to check water conditions ,but what I found is the White bucket brigade in full effect looking for smelts .(about 60 + people) spent 15 mins talking to one of my fishing buddies ,spent 25 mins cleaning up all types of garbage ( fishing line, roe bags ,roe bag netting ,a bunch of plastic bottles ,timmie cups ,plastic bags ,rubber gloves ,styrofoam,  rope, lots of rubber bands, a belt, a pair of waders etc ,you name it )  ,then people were starting fires in the parking lot,  and then when I'm leaving they were taking out plastics of the garbage can to put in there fire's ,after filling  35% of the garbage can with  of crap. Will we ever " win " against  the trash pigs? literally makes me sick to my soul !:angry: 

The town of N.O.T.L. have been cleaning up after these smelt dippers for many years ...at a cost of course . It's ironic in a way that a young fellow I met carp fishing had all the proper gear for handling the fish safely and keeping the spots clean (except a few pieces of stray corn) , is a priority !  He forgot to renew his license (his fault), & gets a $155 fine ....then left immediately to buy it . Compare that fine to leaving dangerous garbage that kills birds & animals that get hung up in fishing line !!!  The MNR- (police) could do MUCH better in fines by watching this place closely . At one time that was our smelt spot , but we haven't got a chance to fish there now .

......many here know how the smerch feels about the garbage brigade ......:wall:.....are we beating a    :deadhorse:  ?...I hope not !!!!!!!

Guest brookie slayer

Great memories I have smelt fishing with my gramps back in the day.....Friggin shame what's going on down there now..  

The wife wan't to get a new garbage can and told me to throw our old one away but i'm going to take it to a fishing spot i go to and chain it to a tree and put a garbage bag in it for

$2 i can get a tag and put the garbage out garbage day not a big deal why these people can't bring a bag with them to throw there trash away make's you think what there house looks like

It's sickening that so many people have no respect for the environment.......We can't afford to lose any more fishing spots, especially for those who only fish from shore............These fishing areas need to be better enforced, and fines issued to prevent this type of behavior from occurring.............

Sounds like a lot of those items listed were there before the smelt brigade started. Just saying the regulars aren't much better there's just fewer of them. The attitude has to change everywhere not just where fishermen gather. Fishermen have a bad rap and its easy to see why. Yayaya its not just fishermen but if you go to any popular fishing spot and compare it with any spot along the river where anglers don't regularly frequent you'll get my point. There's no shortage of beer drinking rednecks who will tell you to go FY if you point out the mess they're making. I don't fish from shore anymore because it breaks my heart year round. It's not everyone but the angling community as a whole is embarrassing. 

It pisses me off whenever I see someones garbage I shake my head ..but I pick it up and get rid of it..I hate coming to a spot to see lines and packages and worm cans laying around..like wtf is wrong with people?

1 minute ago, RaedwulfFisher said:

It pisses me off whenever I see someones garbage I shake my head ..but I pick it up and get rid of it..I hate coming to a spot to see lines and packages and worm cans laying around..like wtf is wrong with people?

In some cases all you need to check out is their home/parents .....(low lifes)

On the flip side they are the product of well off parents and are  spoiled BRATS  ! ....so they would laugh at fines ...daddy will pay ...

The police don't have time to babysit ,nor does the MNR.....and the night fishers are immune....:ph34r:

The easiest "solution" is to ban shore fishing where garbage is a problem  . Back in the 50's I remember seeing hired people picking up garbage with a nail stick in our parks , city and highways . I've "heard" that the parks on the U.S. side are much better taken care of by the state and littering is taken more seriously  

RWF......WTF  is wrong with people ???..............LOTS !   :wall:

Good on ya streamer....and welcome to NFN .....We need more anglers like you .....and I'm sure a very high number of us here clean up after ourselves .  The problem is , anglers get a bad rap in the media , and rightly so if the garbage found is fishing related , the worst being fishing line !    I found a green 5 gal . pail on the ice weeks ago , and put some Tim cups , etc. in it , brought it home and set the empty pail out with my garbage & recycle bins ......they would not take the plastic 5 gal .pail ! I'm suppose to take it to a waste disposal myself !  They sell thousands of 5 gal pails full of many products , from wine to paint,  & expect us to find a place to take it ?  That's another reason stuff ends up in ditches ....

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Good on ya streamer....and welcome to NFN .....We need more anglers like you .....and I'm sure a very high number of us here clean up after ourselves .  The problem is , anglers get a bad rap in the media , and rightly so if the garbage found is fishing related , the worst being fishing line !    I found a green 5 gal . pail on the ice weeks ago , and put some Tim cups , etc. in it , brought it home and set the empty pail out with my garbage & recycle bins ......they would not take the plastic 5 gal .pail ! I'm suppose to take it to a waste disposal myself !  They sell thousands of 5 gal pails full of many products , from wine to paint,  & expect us to find a place to take it ?  That's another reason stuff ends up in ditches ....

That is true smerchly i don't know what it's like ST.catharines but in Smithville we can only put out one garbage can for the week and have to pay $2 a bag extra i don't mind that but many people are tired of it and i'm seeing full bags along the side of the road and just today the wife and i was on are way home from Dunnville and was fallowing a car and what did he do tims cup out his window just a young kid so what did i do i stopped picked it up fallowed him to his destination TIM HORTONS go figure must have had no room in his cup holder so i let him go threw the drive thru and stopped him on his way out and gave it back to him his face was as red as a tomato i reminded him it's a $500 fine if caught 

i don't know if he threw it in he garbage but i hope i gave him something to think about if that possible some teens just don't care

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so annoyed right now. I pulled up to do some fishing this morning at Marlatts rd and a robin was tangled in fishing line. If I hadn't of showed up it probably would have died as it was unable to fly and had it wrapped around its neck. I cut it loose and it flew off.

Seriously annoyed I saw something like that...I don't understand why people leave their garbage how inconsiderate can people be...I hope I catch someone doing it so I can give them an earfull

I was watching a fishing show a few years back and watched the host cut off some fishing line wrap it up in a ball and discard it in to the water.... :o:angry:... sent him a email to his show and he apologized for his mistake and claimed he usually discards it properly :rolleyes:   will not name the show ...sorry

1 hour ago, RaedwulfFisher said:

I'm so annoyed right now. I pulled up to do some fishing this morning at Marlatts rd and a robin was tangled in fishing line. If I hadn't of showed up it probably would have died as it was unable to fly and had it wrapped around its neck. I cut it loose and it flew off.

Seriously annoyed I saw something like that...I don't understand why people leave their garbage how inconsiderate can people be...I hope I catch someone doing it so I can give them an earfull

Unfortunately , this hawk didn't survive after hanging from a tree,.. wrapped in fishing line at Port Dalhousie . Maybe the bird watcher groups can put pressure on the gov't/mnr/cops etc. to increase awareness (and fines) .....they have a lot of members ! Set up cameras to help catch the perps ....wouldn't bother me to be on camera......this was taken a few yrs.ago , but we have new members & a reminder now & then wouldn't hurt either......

SOQXaDpVx1Kh_KlRExyvRshAbYYsw0lHzTDvYg6-

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Unfortunately , this hawk didn't survive after hanging from a tree,.. wrapped in fishing line at Port Dalhousie . Maybe the bird watcher groups can put pressure on the gov't/mnr/cops etc. to increase awareness (and fines) .....they have a lot of members ! Set up cameras to help catch the perps ....wouldn't bother me to be on camera......this was taken a few yrs.ago , but we have new members & a reminder now & then wouldn't hurt either......

SOQXaDpVx1Kh_KlRExyvRshAbYYsw0lHzTDvYg6-

unfortunately smerchly this thing is going to keep happening as long as these lazy and weak people i call them weak because for some people fishing line is much to  heavy for them to take and put it in a bag and take it home what a shame to see this 

3 hours ago, Loonietoon1 said:

I was watching a fishing show a few years back and watched the host cut off some fishing line wrap it up in a ball and discard it in to the water.... :o:angry:... sent him a email to his show and he apologized for his mistake and claimed he usually discards it properly :rolleyes:   will not name the show ...sorry

Would love to know who it was!

Archived