Canada Day Carp

Mike Pike

I had a little time before having to head to my cousin's place for a barbecue in the afternoon so I grabbed my gear and hit the harbour to see if I could trick a carp or two.  When I arrived, I found the swim was packed( lol ).

SWIM TWO.jpg

I enjoy fishing this area but the birds can be overwhelming.  The gull squawking is maddening and I have no idea how some people can bivvy up for an overnighter.  I do find you actually get used to it after a while, though, so it's not quite as bad as I'm making it out.

So I certainly had lots of company this morning.  On several occasions, I had gulls swimming into my line and causing no end of troubles.  The young gulls,in particular, have absolutely no fear and would come right over to me and my gear.

YOUNG GULL.jpg

All the while, a parent was never far away always on the watch.

MOMMA GULL.jpg

I cast out the method feeder to reach some surfacing carp in the distance and hoped the fish would stay active for the time I had to spend there.

While I waited, a carp boiled right over my bait so I was filled with confidence, almost willing the alarm to go off.

ROD AND POD.jpg

Oh joy, more birds!

CHOO CHOO.jpg

Although I had a line bump or two, I began questioning my presentation with all the fish showing and still unable to get a take.  After recasting my method feeder and hair rigged maize, I new I was building up the swim and something had to happen soon.  While chatting with another angler down the bank, I heard a few beeps coming from my alarm.  I rushed over to my rod and just as I got there, I got the long awaited one toner and I was in!

A battle began with the fish kiting to the right and straight into the line of the angler next to me.  Fortunately after a bit of quick action on both our parts, a serious tangle was avoided and the carp headed back into open water and the fight resumed from there.

I the end, I brought the net under this nice specimen, and it made my morning.

17 lbs ONE.jpg 

I wasn't able to tempt any other fish on this quick session, although the angler down the bank was able to capture one himself of about the same size.  

I switched to pva bags filled with goodies, pop ups, anything I could think to get these showing carp to bury there noses but nothing seemed to work.  Oh well, I was going to be late for the barbecue if I didn't pack up soon, so it was time to go.

Happy Canada Day weekend everyone! 

SWIM ONE.jpg  

Nice healthy looking carp Mike , congrats !  Sometimes they just want a plain "meat & potatoes" meal and other times they want caviar... and dessert !  It seems the more carp I see breaking water , the less likely they are feeding ......   I have a big pot of maize cooling off now ....it takes longer for it to swell up after sitting in the bag for over 2 years  lol.

I spooled up at Peter's Friday  ...going to try mono on my bait runner for a change . It's only 15#  ( not a deep spool ) but I can't break a single loop knot with my hands ....very strong & coated with fluorocarbon ....should help with line fraying when the carp run deep at the drop off . Keep up the great catches Mike !  :Gonefishing:

Archived