A Little Cat Adventure

Spiel

I finally had a window of decent weather to take my daughter, her pup as well as my pup. This was my boys first time in the boat and he enjoyed it thoroughly. The target, big Channel Cats. Sadly the big girls didn't come out to play. We weren't fishing 5 minutes when we were into a double header, my daughter's was a Cat and mine a was Bowfin. The next 30 minutes was constant action but few fish over the gunnels. The end result for a few hours of fishing was, 1 Cat, 2 Bowfin, 1 Pumpkinseed and and a scruffy Northern.

Gordieboat2.jpg

Gordieboat3.jpg

Dunnville1.jpg

Dunnville3.JPG

Gordieboat4.jpg

Dunnville5.jpg

Gordieboat6.jpg

Dunnville6.jpg

Sounds like a good day out either way.... those bowfins can be pretty scrappy...and can have some cool markings....looks like the pike may have been in a bit of a scrap

6 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Sounds like a good day out either way.... those bowfins can be pretty scrappy...and can have some cool markings....looks like the pike may have been in a bit of a scrap

Yes those Bowfins are scrappy. The Pike, battle warn from the spawn gave a good account of himself as well, even went air born a couple times (58* water).
It actually picked up cut sucker bait that was intended for the big Cats.  ;)

Nice day to fish ...warmer & it looks like very low winds . Maybe the cats will turn on when the water temps get up to 60 +F. 

Nice surprise to get a bowfin ...bonus with two !  They have strong jaws and are built like tanks and can get very colourful  when spawning .

And those dogs.....beautiful ! Looks like they enjoyed the day as much as you and your daughter !

BTW ....what type of reel is that you are using ?   It looks different from the average spinning reels ...

14 hours ago, Spiel said:

I finally had a window of decent weather to take my daughter, her pup as well as my pup. This was my boys first time in the boat and he enjoyed it thoroughly. The target, big Channel Cats. Sadly the big girls didn't come out to play. We weren't fishing 5 minutes when we were into a double header, my daughter's was a Cat and mine a was Bowfin. The next 30 minutes was constant action but few fish over the gunnels. The end result for a few hours of fishing was, 1 Cat, 2 Bowfin, 1 Pumpkinseed and and a scruffy Northern.

Gordieboat2.jpg

Gordieboat3.jpg

Dunnville1.jpg

Dunnville3.JPG

Gordieboat4.jpg

Dunnville5.jpg

Gordieboat6.jpg

Dunnville6.jpg

Looks like a beautiful day to be in the water. Nice catches