Archery moose hunt success!

I got lucky again. Got my 10th moose...9 with the bow. Went up with 2 of my brothers and my nephew. My brother and his son had a moose by early in the week as close as 47 yards but nephew couldn't get a shot. Thursday morning my nephew had to go home and of course I got the moose that night. So me 58 and my brothers 65 and 69 had to quarter it and drag it out probably 600 yards on a game carrier and toboggan. Lots of work. My brother was about 130 yards away from me and saw it coming along clearcut on my side and tried some calls but it wouldn't come so when it went into the woods closer to me he told me to call. Nothing for a bit so I got a little more aggressive in my cow calls/pleading and he popped out 25 yards. No grunts just heard a little noise and I tugged back the Bowtech Reign7 and stopped him and made a good shot. He went down the cut and into the edge of the woods and crashed right there. Shot it just before dark and went back to pick up one brother, got it quartered and hung up ands safe by midnight. Back at first light and took it out and back to camp and hung the quarters friday. Skinned and cut up the quarters and deboned it Saturday. Broke camp and drove home 8 hours sunday and butchered and vacuum sealed it last night. Still have to unpack and get ready for deer, put boat and gear away but we have meat for the winter. The rack was 34 inches wide and he had a good sized body.

moose1.jpg

moose2.jpg

moose3.jpg

Congrats on your hunt Moose slayer, no luck pure skill! Impressive for the three of you to process and recover from 600 yards away. My back is aching just thinking about it.

We were up the week of 17th opener. First skunk in over 10 years, never even caught a glimpse of a moose or a single response. There was a large group of locals that had been hunting the area hard the week before we got there and were still "hunting" while we were there, which limited where we could even go. 

Congrats on another successful bow hunt ! You put that arrow right into the heart  .  I miss my moose hunts .....

Just now, Bubba14 said:

I'm hoping that lady luck can be on our side in less than two weeks. 

Good luck Bubba ,  I hope you have a great hunt .   

5 hours ago, mooseslayer said:

I got lucky again. Got my 10th moose...9 with the bow. Went up with 2 of my brothers and my nephew. My brother and his son had a moose by early in the week as close as 47 yards but nephew couldn't get a shot. Thursday morning my nephew had to go home and of course I got the moose that night. So me 58 and my brothers 65 and 69 had to quarter it and drag it out probably 600 yards on a game carrier and toboggan. Lots of work. My brother was about 130 yards away from me and saw it coming along clearcut on my side and tried some calls but it wouldn't come so when it went into the woods closer to me he told me to call. Nothing for a bit so I got a little more aggressive in my cow calls/pleading and he popped out 25 yards. No grunts just heard a little noise and I tugged back the Bowtech Reign7 and stopped him and made a good shot. He went down the cut and into the edge of the woods and crashed right there. Shot it just before dark and went back to pick up one brother, got it quartered and hung up ands safe by midnight. Back at first light and took it out and back to camp and hung the quarters friday. Skinned and cut up the quarters and deboned it Saturday. Broke camp and drove home 8 hours sunday and butchered and vacuum sealed it last night. Still have to unpack and get ready for deer, put boat and gear away but we have meat for the winter. The rack was 34 inches wide and he had a good sized body.

moose1.jpg

moose2.jpg

moose3.jpg

Your name says it’s all. Congrats on the kill. 
Is that an arrow with a light on the end?

Yes that is a luminok that lights up when the string pushes against it on a shot. The arrow has a 3 blade extremely sharp broadhead. The best shot is a double lung or heart shot and does devastating damage and they go down in less than a minute. My archery group that didn't get a tag this year has shot over 50 moose and we always heard in the early days how a bow and arrow can't kill a moose but it is sometimes as or more devastating than a gun...your range is just much shorter.