Bait Hunting

smerchly

Looking for minnows again today ...a little too warm & windy & only a few small ones breaking the surface . I took some old salties & had a few casts , but only a few gobies were interested . I found a school of 2" -3" fish that 'looked' like minnows but I think they were small gizzard shads which are illegal to use . They have a small black dot just behind the gills .

I heard that big tall ship start up and it soon left the harbour with dozens of blue barrels aboard . It was blasting the horn as a farewell to Port Dalhousie I think ...got a video of it leaving the harbour & took a 'snip shot' to show here. 

I posted a link trying to I.D. that school of bait fish ,etc..It will take a while to check out !! 

Check out the black dot on these  bait fish (trout love them ! (long shot about 20' away...)

https://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/publications/baitfish-poissons-appats/index-eng.html

Bait Fish at Port.JPG

Tall Ship at Port.JPG

Same as me last time Bill...only minnow action around there was way out....I may go try and dunk some worms again tomorrow and perhaps chuck some hardware

Just now, Jwl1 said:

Same as me last time Bill...only minnow action around there was way out....I may go try and dunk some worms again tomorrow and perhaps chuck some hardware

I should have taken a few lures to toss today but I was in the minnow mode and scouting for a few perch ...

Just now, deetch said:

Does the owner of that boat stay in it all winter long?  That boat has been there for maybe 5 years now

I believe the owners lived there all winter as I saw big cables hooked up to the boat  ....may be a hydro line.

Just now, bigugli said:

Have not seen any minnows in my spots yet.

My son is keeping an eye out for them at the River . If he finds them I 'll take my net ,air pump AND fishing rod !

Haven't seen any in a few of my go to spots either.... water is too warm still or something...I been creek fishing a couple times in the last few weeks...only minnow action I have seen is way out.....I have my daughter on the lookout up there too Bill when her and friends go walk and chill by the river

My tank is all set up and ready for some visitors . One good catch of minnows sets me up for the whole winter .

I feed them goldfish flakes and clean the crap from the bottom with a long garden siphon hose, then add more fresh water that has been sitting a couple days.

I hope they come in soon ! 

On 10/11/2022 at 10:56 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Bye bye boat. Thanks for our fishing spot back. 

I checked that spot out again today ....looking for minnows on both sides . More water to fish , fast current today and parking is scarce on west side .... more condos to be built at the old "rubber factory"  . It's a zoo now !  I may have to buy 120 minnies this year.....or more if it's legal.

Water level is down as the lake level has dropped .....slippery rocks now coated with algea and moss , be careful,  and about 10 anglers on the east bank tossing for salmon/trout . 

I stopped in at 7-11 (Allen & Lake) to put more time on my little phone .... young lady didn't know how to program it , said manager will be in a 3 pm and there's another 7-11 at Lake & Albert so I went there.....ah ...a young Asian guy ..... fixed me up in 2 minutes , put $35 plus TAX on my phone , good to yap for another year ! 

A little breezy (again) but still a good day to  :Gonefishing: .