Moose hunt 2022

Bubba14

Greetings all!

Well, 2022 saw the group I hunt with fill our second bull tag in two years! A few of us made it into camp on Saturday to set things up and get organized. By Sunday evening the rest of the stragglers arrived. Our plan Monday morning was to go in different directions and remain on watch for a few hours. This is what we usually do so that we can get a feel of what's been moving around recently. While we sit a couple of us will call. The spot I usually go to is a hardwood ridge with water all around, same spot where I shot my bull last year.

After 3 1/2 hours my good buddy Shawn slowly started to wander. He made it to my location and we talked for a couple of minutes. Apparently I was the only one to see any fresh sign with a cow and calf track about 100 yards from where I was sitting. Shawn left me and continued to wander. After about 5 minutes there were two well spaced shots and a "WOOOO HOOOO" as he had bagged a nice bull, 11:30 on opening morning and our hunt was over and the real work was about to start. The area had received a lot of rain over the previous couple of weeks so it make walking in the bush pretty silent. Shawn had walked to within 30 yards of the 45 1/2 inch animal as it was laying down chewing on browse. It had been laying there when I walked in but due to the dense leaves still hanging on the smaller trees I was unable to see him. I would have been within about 40 yards and I'm sure he just laid there listening to me.

The rest of the week was spent clearing trails, cutting wood and eating like kings like we always do. Getting an animal is always a bonus. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will.

Congrats on another successful hunt Bubba and your group , looks like a good size bull .  That  is nearly the same as my last hunt when I  followed fresh bull tracks in "spotty" snow and wet ground . This was the second day of our hunt after I missed out on the first day while spending hours filing off my trigger lock .

Enjoy your bounty !  

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

Greetings all!

Well, 2022 saw the group I hunt with fill our second bull tag in two years! A few of us made it into camp on Saturday to set things up and get organized. By Sunday evening the rest of the stragglers arrived. Our plan Monday morning was to go in different directions and remain on watch for a few hours. This is what we usually do so that we can get a feel of what's been moving around recently. While we sit a couple of us will call. The spot I usually go to is a hardwood ridge with water all around, same spot where I shot my bull last year.

After 3 1/2 hours my good buddy Shawn slowly started to wander. He made it to my location and we talked for a couple of minutes. Apparently I was the only one to see any fresh sign with a cow and calf track about 100 yards from where I was sitting. Shawn left me and continued to wander. After about 5 minutes there were two well spaced shots and a "WOOOO HOOOO" as he had bagged a nice bull, 11:30 on opening morning and our hunt was over and the real work was about to start. The area had received a lot of rain over the previous couple of weeks so it make walking in the bush pretty silent. Shawn had walked to within 30 yards of the 45 1/2 inch animal as it was laying down chewing on browse. It had been laying there when I walked in but due to the dense leaves still hanging on the smaller trees I was unable to see him. I would have been within about 40 yards and I'm sure he just laid there listening to me.

The rest of the week was spent clearing trails, cutting wood and eating like kings like we always do. Getting an animal is always a bonus. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will.

Congratulations on a successful hunt!!

Awesome!!!

The work starts after the moose is down but worth it in the end with lots of meat. We butcher it ourselves which makes for even more work. How many guys in camp?

You are right that much of the experience is camp life regardless of whether you get an animal...but that is a nice bonus.