Rock Fish

smerchly

He was a member here for many years who started a "Pike Off" derby . He had serious migrane issues and stopped fishing to go into photography and posted many inspiring pictures on Facebook . Most of his shots were outdoor pictures & he became well known for his photography skills .

We learned today that Dave DeJong has passed away , but I don't know when he passed.....He lived in Hamilton & would visit us this time of the year ...

This has been a bad year for losing friends .....this picture was taken at Bay Front Park about 15 years ago .

Dave DeJong 2006.JPG

5 minutes ago, smerchly said:

He was a member here for many years who started a "Pike Off" derby . He had serious migrane issues and stopped fishing to go into photography and posted many inspiring pictures on Facebook . Most of his shots were outdoor pictures & he became well known for his photography skills .

We learned today that Dave DeJong has passed away , but I don't know when he passed.....He lived in Hamilton & would visit us this time of the year ...

This has been a bad year for losing friends .....this picture was taken at Bay Front Park about 15 years ago .

Sorry for your loss!

Sounds like he was a great guy! 

Just now, honeyv said:

Sorry for your loss!

Sounds like he was a great guy! 

Thanks .   My closest friend from early childhood has been in a 'home' for the last 3 years . I got to visit him once until the c19 restrictions came in . I haven't been able to see him since (not vaxxed) and they have had more outbreaks which are ongoing today . I fear I'll never talk to him again as he slowly loses his memory .What a stinking 3 years we have had to endure and we are now paying a steep price in many ways . 

I am the last of 6 guys who hunted and fished together for many years who can still carry on enjoying fishing and the great outdoors . Two are still alive but can't join me again .....I feel very fortunate that I'm still quite healthy and able to enjoy life . ...one day at a time . 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

RIP rock fish. 
you’ll be catching all the big ones now 

I hope to find more info about him , maybe from an obit. from Hamilton or his family ..... 

16 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I am the last of 6 guys who hunted and fished together for many years who can still carry on enjoying fishing and the great outdoors . Two are still alive but can't join me again .....I feel very fortunate that I'm still quite healthy and able to enjoy life . ...one day at a time .

Wow, this last part hit me!

I see this happening with my Dad. Still a very healthy man at 78 but, he's slowed over the years. He still hunts geese on his own, and he came with me to put up a tree stand and prep for this year's deer season, but the man is getting older and he barely fishes anymore... I think fishing a little more strenuous for him than sitting in a blind. I took him to St Johns after we went 0 for 0 on the Spring Turkey opener so he could feel the tug of a fish again and maybe get a fillet knife in his hands. Always amazing to see him light up again. Part of why I ice fish Simcoe a lot is Dad's in Toronto. I bring my catch to his house on the way home and then I clean the fish and we do a fish fry before I come back home to Niagara. Makes for a loooong way back, but any amount of time I get to spend with my old man is always worth it.  

We all get older. It's unavoidable... that's why it's a great thing to appreciate what you do while you can still do it for as long as you can do it. 

318463443_887949098988216_7682167840144116358_n.jpg

St Johns Pond

57 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Thanks .   My closest friend from early childhood has been in a 'home' for the last 3 years . I got to visit him once until the c19 restrictions came in . I haven't been able to see him since (not vaxxed) and they have had more outbreaks which are ongoing today . I fear I'll never talk to him again as he slowly loses his memory .What a stinking 3 years we have had to endure and we are now paying a steep price in many ways . 

I hope you get to see your friend one day. 

That's sad about Dave for sure Bill.....I can remember a few times on the bank somewhere when I may.... or haven't won the " pike off" he started...also had the pleasure of having Dave up to my trailer on Moira back in the day.,.that's where I learned by the campfire playing guitar and singing why he called himself " rock fish,"......he shrugged his shoulders and said " I like to Rock... I like to fish"  ...,

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

I hope to find more info about him , maybe from an obit. from Hamilton or his family ..... 

Sadly I lost track of Dave a couple of years back.  Even then he was having some health issues.

Not likely to find an obit. His relationship with his parents was somewhat stormy, but he was in close contact with his sister.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

That was a great weekend up at the trailer, even despite the fumes🤢

We had a great time there Bruce , good entertainment with Jack on the guitar, big ski chewing my prop , the hunt for my boat trailer bunk in the dump site !

Good eats = great fumes !   

11 hours ago, honeyv said:

I hope you get to see your friend one day. 

I don't see any problem for me to see him at all . I would wear a good mask and keep a 'safe' distance from him . There is less chance of me passing anything on to him than the employees who are free to go on a cruise ship ,eyc etc . I have abstained from going anywhere except to few stores for groceries etc. Their rules don't make sense at all .

But I still have hope I may get to see him even if he doesn't recognize me . 

Thanks for your concern ....and your Dad is fortunate to have you take him fishing and enjoy a fish dinner . That trout is a beauty from the St.John's Pond ....such a beautiful place . 

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

I don't see any problem for me to see him at all . I would wear a good mask and keep a 'safe' distance from him . There is less chance of me passing anything on to him than the employees who are free to go on a cruise ship ,eyc etc . I have abstained from going anywhere except to few stores for groceries etc. Their rules don't make sense at all .

But I still have hope I may get to see him even if he doesn't recognize me . 

Thanks for your concern ....and your Dad is fortunate to have you take him fishing and enjoy a fish dinner . That trout is a beauty from the St.John's Pond ....such a beautiful place . 

Have to agree with you there... So many of these C19 rules are whack! I understand people wanting to keep people safe, but make it make sense! 

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

We had a great time there Bruce , good entertainment with Jack on the guitar, big ski chewing my prop , the hunt for my boat trailer bunk in the dump site !

Good eats = great fumes !   

So, you do remember the "roadkill" chili😁

On 12/20/2022 at 9:34 PM, smerchly said:

Today , I got a call from my  buddies wife that he passed away ....what a bad month for me as I see my buddies passing .....

My bud , Stan Duke and I lived in the war time houses in the western hill when we were about 5 yrs.old . His Dad was a golden gloves boxer of the same name who took care of the water filtration plant property at Decew . Stan & I worked and fished & hunted together since our teen years , and yes he was quite the scrapper himself .

I had big hopes I could see him again at the home at NOTL ,but the covid put a stop to that .  Memories never die they say unless they are stolen by alzheimer's disease ...

Cherish your younger years guys ,  I'll be 80 soon , and I know how time flies. 

50 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Today , I got a call from my  buddies wife that he passed away ....what a bad month for me as I see my buddies passing .....

So sorry for this loss too.