Damn !

smerchly

Not dam .....but damn ! 

I have been working my @ss off for over 2 weeks revampng the back yard , and turning my gardens into grass (mowing is easier than digging etc.

I finally got the work done then decided to explore why my Astro smelled a little mouldy....I ended up cutting the thick carpet along a seam to find the underpad VERY wet from the back to the sliding side door. I rolled back the carpet & cut out a large piece (4' x 5') of the dripping wet under pad & hung it over the fence for a week & ran a fan inside the van for a few days ...got it all back together , then decided to do an oil/filter change and grease job only to find the swaybar was broken off on the drivers side ...

Taking it in to be fixed Friday ,9:00 a.m.  The van is 26 years old , still a pup and I hope it's the last vehicle I buy . It's perfect for a fishing vehicle (will hold lots of fish)  !

I can use the G6 for fishing , it's only a teenie bopper at only 17 years old !  

But it's blazing HOT out there !   :o

I  check  Y.T. and found they are noted for leaking at the rear doors . My Astro has the Dutch doors (2 small doors and a glass hatch above the doors which has many possible spots to leak . I caulked the bottom seal and drilled a 5/16" hole at the bottom right hand corner & gave it a little water test with the hose It seems to work as the water drips outside now. I will also park front first as the driveway slope will allow any rain to run off the back better ....will be checking it out often .

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

I  check  Y.T. and found they are noted for leaking at the rear doors . My Astro has the Dutch doors (2 small doors and a glass hatch above the doors which has many possible spots to leak . I caulked the bottom seal and drilled a 5/16" hole at the bottom right hand corner & gave it a little water test with the hose It seems to work as the water drips outside now. I will also park front first as the driveway slope will allow any rain to run off the back better ....will be checking it out often .

Exactly as I told you where the water was coming from the other day I was down.  I should of mentioned Y.T. so you could see others have the same experience. Happened to my astro van many years ago. I just put a small bead of caulking at the base of the barn doors and the water never entered past that point.

Ya Dan , my last 97 Astro (same colour, same milage) also leaked a bit . The guy I bought it from installed snap & click flooring & I spent $600 for a new carpet , glued to the steel floor .  It had the barn doors which I prefer over the 3 piece Dutch doors that have a wiper blade . For a 26 year old van , I can't complain.....