Port D Sheepshead...Where Are They?

Port_D_Guy

I used to get them often, but this year I haven't caught one in the harbour.

Are their natural numbers dropping or being kept for food more often ?

I also strongly believe that the rebuilt piers have diminished the fishing over all.

Maybe its just me. lol 

I believe the overall aquatic ecosystem has changed since they dregged the bottom of the harbour for two years and then dumped massive rocks to support the canal walls .As I fished there yesterday , it was easy to see the current is faster flowing into the high water level of the lake , and more water is coming from the 12 Mile system which adds more current . Some alewives could be seen but there seems to be less minnows the past 2-3 years as I net some every year for my winter fishing.  I bought my minnow supply last winter.  I believe I saw a guy net a small drum yesterday where the old "Rooker" willow stood . They were bottom fishing with worms.

I  did catch a nice trout but for the past 4 years or so fishing has been slower , except for getting some good size pike . And there are people who eat any thing that swims ....  

21 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Never heard of anyone complaining about lack of sheephead lol. 
their fun to catch and I’ve eaten a few before. 

Port d, do you fish the lower grand at all?

No, I only stay local to learn the water as much as I can.

It was more of an observation and curiosity.

I remember getting a 10 lber years ago and impressed at its power

The "new" piers, don't have that undercut  where fish could hide under or in.

The old piers were most likely good for the eels. Somewhere to hide/scavenge.

There are some big drum at Jordan harbour and I see some being kept for the table ....actually not bad eating but like walleye , the smaller ones are nicer to eat .

That "undercut" sent lots of the harbour water into the marina and it would cloud up the marina water which I believe helped to bring in the bait fish , perch and pike ....not so much now as the water is so clear.