Metamorphosis

smerchly

Fishing related somewhat ....one of the reasons I like shore fishing . 

My back yard in the city has interesting things happening most of the time .

I have some milk weeds and like to see the monarch butterflies come and deposit their eggs on them  and watch them go from egg to butterfly .

Today I spotted a monarch butterfly drying it's wings by slowly open and closing them as the nice breeze helped them dry .

Juat 6" away I saw a caterpillar eating a leaf from the milkweed  ....nice to see mother nature's masterpieces.

A few shots ...catapiller at top right corner.... (snip shots)

Monarch catipillar.JPG

monarch butterfly and catapillar..JPG

Monarch Butterfly New.JPG

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

That’s 3rd pic is a beauty smerch

Thanks Tyler ...notice how both wings are so identical in pattern . 

The other side of ma nature ....my very first ripe tomato had bite holes on it today ...I thought it was a rat or possum . It got 2 beefstake  tomatoes !

The tomatoes  are 2 ft. off the ground .

So I set the rat trap tonight and tied on a piece of bacon at the base of the tomato plant .

I just checked the trap and found a dead rat about 8" from the trap . It must have got wacked on the head , slipped out of the trap and died . 

It only took 2 hours to get that sucker !  There may be more .....

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday , one of the monarchs was a caterpillar attached to the siding on my garage .

This morning , it was a green glossy chrysalis . It transformed to this stage overnight , hope to see it emerge into a winged butterfly in about a week . Don't need to go far to see Mother Nature performing her magic.

Chrisalis Monarch.JPG

monarch catipillar attached to siding.JPG

1 hour ago, Port_D_Guy said:

I would like to plant more butterfly friendly flowers.

Where would one even get milk weed?

When the seed pods turn brown and split open there will be many (too many) fluffy seeds blowing in the wind to start new plants next spring (aka dandlelions).

They multiply very easily and the plants like sunshine and will grow over 6 feet tall . Monarchs are easily attracted to the butterfly bush & many other flowers.