Fish finder questions

Chrisb

I've always ran Humminbird and has been just fine for Erie.  I have the unit with Mega side and down imaging along with chirp sonar.  I check spots with chirp and switch to the down and chirp screen to verify the chirp is not leading me astray before I try for perch on the bottom.  Honestly getting a unit that is larger will give you the navigation screen and sonar of your choice at the same time.  If you have i pilot it makes it simpler to spot lock and then spot lock again if you drift a bit due to winds or no wind.  Side imaging really hasn't done much for me as it is better in the shallow water.  So great for inland.  I have used it and seen cars laying on the bottom of the welland river.

On 11/27/2023 at 7:48 AM, Fish Farmer said:

Had Helix 7 GPS and DI, tried using the DI display and turned it off, found it was a gimmick.🙈

It still works OK but fishing 10 to 13 Hour days the screen was melting in the sun, they say it's because using lighter Gage wire. 

Was at a seminar and found out the most important thing is use 8 Gage wire direct from the battery and as short as possible.

Now I have a Helix 9 sonar with GPS has 2 Micro card slots for Navionics and LakeMaster cards, that's all you need.

Don't get hung up on the Bells and whistles.

I found the Humminbirds very user friendly, you can turn off a lot of those display screens.

But that's my opinion, got lots of money, buy those bells&whistles.👍😀

Interesting point about the heavier gauge wire. I've been having similar issues with my Humminbird with screen at corners and edges. It will often cycle on/off when I restart the engine which is hard on the electronics not to mention, annoying. After doing a bit of research it looks like they are very sensitive to voltage fluctuation. Will be upgrading wire in the spring to see if that helps. My unit is 12 years old and I don't know or try to use half the features and it still serves me well for my use at least.

3 hours ago, Chrisb said:

It seems like the hummingbird is the one I want. The boat is packed up for the winter so I will keep looking until the spring unless some super deal comes up sooner.

The helix 7 G4 is 100 bucks off from humminbird, they just emailed me, good till the end of the year.

image.png

• 4 weeks later...