Fish finder questions

Chrisb

Does anyone have a good resource that demystifies all the options.

I see all these terms and don't know if some of them are the same or better or what.

CHIRP, Panoptics, Livescope, side imaging, down imaging,

In a nutshell

Chirp is traditional 2D sonar but sends multiple frequencies instead of just one

Down Imaging gives target separation dtraight down to clean things up and differentiate structure 

Side Imaging does the same but off to the side

Mega Live / Active Target/ live scope/ panoptix is live sonar. Allows you to scan in different directions and you can cast/jig and see your bait in real time allow with fish 

All these features have a time & place 

Chirp 2d has become standard on nearly all units now. Si / Di pretty common too

Live Imaging is pretty cool but pretty pricey

I used to have 2 in my boat till I sold it - one with Chirp set to down imaging, and the other running the GPS mapping screen.

If I was buying a new one now I personally would look at a unit that combined both of the above, so you get the good down imaging plus the mapping, preferably that could be set up with split screen display to show both on screen at the same time.

Side imaging is an expensive upgrade, but would help spotting schooling fish like pickerel on L Erie…depends on what you can afford.  I was always a Lowrance user, right from the old paper graph unit.  I still have an old battery powered Eagle Strata 128 that I use for ice fishing, and used to use in my kayak till I upgraded to a Lowrance Hook 7 in it.

I have been an eagle/lowrance user. Had a 9500 with LORAN module and currently a 642c/gps. Eagle as a company is no more and my current unit ran into a date issue on the GPS because of Y2K type rollover and no software update because Eagle is no more. It still functions fine except for GPS having the wrong date. I also have a hand held Garmin GPS. I like the live view I see on fishing shows and am thinking I would like to have that. But Garmin? HUmmingbird? Lowrance?

What style of fishing and or species do you target most?

If you primarily troll then side/down Imaging will not benefit you much.

Side imaging is great for scanning areas looking for structure & transition areas. 

Live sonar is very good and depending on the transducer you buy it can be used for casting/jigging or trolling. It's nearly a $4000+ investment though. 

Whatever you decide,  get at least a 7 inch screen.

On 11/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, Chrisb said:

Does anyone have a good resource that demystifies all the options.

I see all these terms and don't know if some of them are the same or better or what.

CHIRP, Panoptics, Livescope, side imaging, down imaging,

Buy soon Black Friday is coming quick or wait untill Boxing Day you can get some killer deals on finders these days 

51 minutes ago, The_Fish_Dawg said:

depending on the transducer you buy

How many different transducers are there? Can you run more than one?

Trying to understand all the options and decide which ones I want/need.

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

If you have questions I’d go to a small tackle shop like grimsby fishing world bills bait or angling outfitters don’t go to bAss pro. 

Go to Angling Outfitters and talk to Joslyn he is the man with Electronics and will always help even later with problems

23 minutes ago, The_Fish_Dawg said:

Sounds like a regular 2D chirp sonar & GPS will suit your needs

Do you have any suggested models? I am not good at making decisions when there are too many choices.

The Helix 7 seems to have more than one version and some of the places selling don't seem to include the transducer or power cables or mount. I have seen prices from $780 to $1400. there's mega di, mega si, g4, g4n

This just gets more confusing the more I look. I will have spend some time on the Hummingbird site reviewing all the options. Maybe before next spring I will have an idea of what I want.

I bought a used helix 7 chirp/gps/di last spring for $600, was a great purchase for me, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with a helix 7. I really like using the down imaging when ice fishing, but it can drain your battery’s life quickly if you use gps a lot.

Make sure you have good battery power is something else to consider that hasn’t really been mentioned. When I go away camping for a few days and going portable I’m often running out of juice, (using a 12v 7a) I’m contemplating getting a Dakota lithium for a power source, but it is expensive 

This unit will not be used portable.

My research tells me that the MEGA is the version with live imaging and if I upgrade I think want that feature.

I am trying to compare this unit with the Garmin and Lowrance to see what might be best for me.

Had Helix 7 GPS and DI, tried using the DI display and turned it off, found it was a gimmick.🙈

It still works OK but fishing 10 to 13 Hour days the screen was melting in the sun, they say it's because using lighter Gage wire. 

Was at a seminar and found out the most important thing is use 8 Gage wire direct from the battery and as short as possible.

Now I have a Helix 9 sonar with GPS has 2 Micro card slots for Navionics and LakeMaster cards, that's all you need.

Don't get hung up on the Bells and whistles.

I found the Humminbirds very user friendly, you can turn off a lot of those display screens.

But that's my opinion, got lots of money, buy those bells&whistles.👍😀