New News to Me ...

smerchly

I have been 'saving' a $100 Visa gift card for a 'rainy day' . I did some yard/fence work for a neighbour and she sent me the gift card via postal mail . 

Well , I gave the card to my daughter to help her buy things she needs and low & behold the card is now worth $000 . I wasn't aware these gift cards have an expiry date !

I had it in my wallet for approx. 2 years , lol I believe they invest the $100 which makes more $ for them,  but lesson learned . 

Now about that Timmies card that I haven't used in months .....    💀

The Visa and Mastercard gift cards are the biggest scam going that's why we stopped buying them years ago..if you read the fine print they say that every month you don't use them they decrease in value until they eventually hit $0. We just give cash now.

they get  $millions  to invest & make more $ from the gift cards . Lesson learned , thanks guys .

I googled it up & found different answers as some cards are not allowed to expire . This lady lost $250 to Visa , so we need to read the fine print & use it quickly .

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-shocked-when-her-250-gift-card-expires-1.6236579#:~:text=Under the Ontario Gift Card,covered by gift card rules.

Don't feel too bad. We received a $200 gift certificate to a restaurant (Terry's Cut Steakhouse) that closed down after a fire and never reopened.

Good luck getting that money back.

The was a few years ago, but the point is to use them before something unexpected happens and your expense. 

4 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

use them before something unexpected happens and your expense. 

Yup , or just deposit it in your bank account and get some interest on it .  A few bucks extra can get you a down payment on a new J-11 Rapala .

And at my age I should have known better . (never buy green bananas)