New flys for Cuba

Dave

Decided to tie up some different patterns for Cuba this winter.I've already got lots of Tan Crab patterns so decided Olive green would be the next choice..Also a few micro sized crabs for the lagoon..My first attempt at a glue together fly tedious to build to say the least...Hopefully it wont blow apart casting.A few Barracuda flys at the top and some gotcha variations top right..

20231213_100509.jpg

20231213_100806.jpg

7 minutes ago, deetch said:

Cuba has some of the most beautiful beaches, the only downfall is the food SUCKS!

I've been to Cuba so many times I can work a Cuban buffet and eat like a king.But I agree if you can't adapt not the place for you.I get budget guiding in the Lagoons for $200 USD and can get in some diy..

Dave , nice work on those flies , very life like , I hope you have great success with them .

What's wrong with the food there , no meat & potatoes ? Any McDons or pizza/sub-fish'n chips shops ?   

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

What's wrong with the food there

I don’t think they use spice. The food is very bland and probably low quality. Best food I found was burgers from the bar. 
im sure Dave knows how to get around a bit more than We did. 

Remind me to take some spices to Cuba Ty.

Dave ...Cuba is known for fishing for bonefish . I see many like using their fly rods for the ultimate challenge .

I also see they can go up to 15 lbs. , what a blast to tangle with one of those fish that go ballistic !  

This link is one of many showing some favorite spots to fish for them ......look very inviting !

https://www.lovecuba.com/blog/bonefishing-in-cuba/

Yes Smerch the Bonefish in Cuba can get big.They are also extremely spooky and can run at 40 mph..Typical water depth for fishing is knee to ankles.A 5-6lb. fish

can open up your hook if the drag is set too tight...The fish at the top is a Mutton Snapper.I never new you could catch them in the shallows.Fights as good as a Bonefish but different..

20230426_124150.jpg

20191226_131018.jpg

Very clear water , reminds me of sight fishing for carp with a fly rod . lol  

I suppose the rods are long, light and flexible to handle those speed demons as I see in the photo.

• 3 weeks later...

So happens Cuba was having some of its worse cold fronts in 20 years according to some..This made some of the fish disappear in certain areas.Fishing was tough, cold water, and lots of wind...Add Christmas and my buddies birthday to the mix I didn't get out a whole lot...Last day with the guide made up for everything, landed 6 and dropped another 3.Mostly respectable sized Bones in the Lagoons and hit one small Cuda.As always I learned a lot about stalking fish on the flats...

20231226_104451.jpeg

20231226_135848.jpg

20231226_142046.jpg

Nice to see you had a good successful trip to Cuba Dave . Those bones look like a cross between a sucker and silver bass ....with an attitude .

I noticed the "protection" on the legs ...from critters (jellyfish) ? And the sunglasses (polarized) are a must to spot the bones in the bright sun .

I don't mess around now, ever since I had some skin cancer removed from my face..Now I wear swim tights under my shorts.I also have neoprene socks that come up to lower calf, as well as Saltwater flats boots.I have very little skin exposed now..I've also been stung by jellyfish in the lagoons so I'm hoping the swim tights will be an extra protective layer..

All you fisherman should be wearing SPF 50 sunscreen and protective sun clothing.Skin cancer doesn't show up until latter in life.Trust me many friends and relatives have had it.I dress almost the same way in Lake Erie when I'm in the kayak now..

50 minutes ago, Dave said:

I don't mess around now, ever since I had some skin cancer removed from my face..Now I wear swim tights under my shorts.I also have neoprene socks that come up to lower calf, as well as Saltwater flats boots.I have very little skin exposed now..I've also been stung by jellyfish in the lagoons so I'm hoping the swim tights will be an extra protective layer..

All you fisherman should be wearing SPF 50 sunscreen and protective sun clothing.Skin cancer doesn't show up until latter in life.Trust me many friends and relatives have had it.I dress almost the same way in Lake Erie when I'm in the kayak now..

I had a piece of my left ear grafted to my nose about 5 years ago . It was a painful ordeal getting those needles in my ear and nose . I will be going to the hospital Jan .3 to get  sutures removed from my left ear after a small cancerous lump was removed over 2 weeks ago . I have been fishing with a Tilley hat that covers the ears but still got skin cancer . I was told many people (truckers) get it while driving as the sun hits the left side of the face and arms . I went for a hearing test and the lady spotted the open sore and my doctor said to see a dermatologist who confirmed it was cancer , then off to see Dr, Bush ,a well known plastic surgeon , same doc who did my nose .

As I stated previously we need to be careful while playing in the sun !

Thanks for the update Dave and be well .

2 hours ago, Dave said:

So happens Cuba was having some of its worse cold fronts in 20 years according to some..This made some of the fish disappear in certain areas.Fishing was tough, cold water, and lots of wind...Add Christmas and my buddies birthday to the mix I didn't get out a whole lot...Last day with the guide made up for everything, landed 6 and dropped another 3.Mostly respectable sized Bones in the Lagoons and hit one small Cuda.As always I learned a lot about stalking fish on the flats...

20231226_104451.jpeg

20231226_135848.jpg

20231226_142046.jpg

Awesome pics 

• 3 months later...

Some new patterns going back to Cuba..Kind of excited about the Bastard Crab with the legs tied top side.Should have great action on the drop.More of the usual Gotcha style patterns but with more hot colours added...

20240328_101110.jpg20240328_100721.jpg

Great looking flies Dave , they will catch fish anywhere !  Are they streamer size ?

During my past 81+ years I have only been east to the Maritimes once , Thunder Bay 3 times and Fort Lauderdale Fl. once . 

Too many would have's should have's and a little late in the game now . I wish you good luck and looking forward to seeing how your flies performed .

:Gonefishing: