Hunting wmu 58 and surrounding areas

Tyler0420

14 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Paradise !   

Good to get away from the big smoke .  

Nice to have venison , moose burgers and all the fish you can eat ! 

And a wood stove ??  

There’s a wood stove in the bunkie. The gf’s parents will be living in that and the small motor home they have. 
our lot has nothing but a roughed in driveway and a small clearing to build. 

• 1 month later...

Went up to the land yesterday to build a shelterlogic car port. 
The night before topped up all fluids, added air to “NEW tires”, washed it etc. making sure it was good for the 5hr drive. Around Mississauga kinda start noticing the back end swaying back and forth a bit.  I’m thinking it just the weight in the back of the truck or the snow and ice on the road.  My truck is always clunking and clanking so I didn’t think too much about it. Next thing I know we’re in Peterborough and the rear tire blows at 6am. Lucked out Canadian tire was 8min away. Towed there waited an hr for it to open and 3 hours to get seen. 
Had tire instock and was covered under warranty since I bout them at CT. 
got north and walked the land, had a beer and enjoyed the quietness. 
Didn’t get the car port built, dropped it off and brought garbage home. 
long day with 12hrs of driving. image000007.jpegimage000002.jpegimage000001.jpegimage000000.jpeg

That's why they call it God's country . Does that water lead to a larger lake ?  

Looks like a beauty place to explore , fish , hunt find bait fish ect.

That water is just a swampy beaver pond. In the second pic you can see the road they just built for us because the pond split the land in half. It will get graveled this  year.  

Where's the snow ??  We got about 2" here , had to fetch the snow shovel again !  

And the birds were bathing in the bird bath between to pieces of ice lol .

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Where's the snow ??  We got about 2" here , had to fetch the snow shovel again !  

And the birds were bathing in the bird bath between to pieces of ice lol .

No snow where we were. There was some snow from Friday night close by. Must of been the path the storm took. Some lakes still frozen and I’m assuming the ones that are open have more current, rivers/creeks are flowing also. 

• 4 weeks later...

Went up to see the land today to rip the ceiling out of the bunkie but ended up being in way better condition than we anticipated. So we left it. Hopped up on the roof and fixed some small things. 

we go for a walk and see the pond breached the causeway and eroded a small 24-36” wide “creek”Through it. 
Im like wtf how did this happen? Then notice no water coming out of the culvert. One end was plugged with mud,leaves,sticks etc. got that unclogged and another small breach further up but just some water flowing over.  Need to change the grate set up. Right now it’s right against the pipe, so easy to get clogged.

Really it wouldn’t of happened but the in-laws don’t  live up there yet.  they would’ve noticed the problem way before the breach. The pond dropped 2” in 20-30min so that was a plus.   

Talked to a stone guy and we’re going to get the driveway done when the city lifts the weight restrictions on the roads(may15-june1). 

went into town and checked out chainsaws stihl 170, 362 & 462.  
     Any input on saws??

hopefully in the next couple weeks start fishing up thereIMG_4178.jpeg

Good news for sure!! You've picked the correct saw manufacturer just make sure you pick one big enough for the biggest job you're gonna do. You don't want to be underpowered or undersize, you're only asking for problems and an accident to happen. 

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

Good news for sure!! You've picked the correct saw manufacturer just make sure you pick one big enough for the biggest job you're gonna do. You don't want to be underpowered or undersize, you're only asking for problems and an accident to happen. 

Thanks bubba

think we’re going with the 170 for cutting branches etc and the 362 for a bigger saw. 

Any beavers in that area Ty ? They can cause problems with water drainage as we know here in Niagara . 

My 30+ year old 16" Pioneer chain saw has cut up many moose and trees and still works great . I sharpen the cutters with a 12 volt stone devise (handy in the bush).

There is a Stihl dealer 1 km from here and I believe they sell quality products , my neighbour has a Stihl  saw , runs great .

And I have a 14" electric chain saw for trimming small branches , came in handy when I used it from a ladder for trimming the large apple tree , nice and light but not built for heavier work . (plastic parts) 

I’m with smerchly on this one.
Looks like you have beav’s. If it was me i’d be getting them out of there or you’ll be fixing that road continually.

about the saw, my brother bought a stihl 170 recently. It was a good price and a decent unit but be aware that it is a homeowner saw.

Its not going to put up with continual usage like a commercial unit would. Get yourself about 3 extra blades and keep them sharp and you’ll be happy.

57 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Any beavers in that area Ty ? They can cause problems with water drainage as we know here in Niagara . 

My 30+ year old 16" Pioneer chain saw has cut up many moose and trees and still works great . I sharpen the cutters with a 12 volt stone devise (handy in the bush).

There is a Stihl dealer 1 km from here and I believe they sell quality products , my neighbour has a Stihl  saw , runs great .

And I have a 14" electric chain saw for trimming small branches , came in handy when I used it from a ladder for trimming the large apple tree , nice and light but not built for heavier work . (plastic parts) 

Yes there is beavers in this pond.

There’s a stihl dealer in town up there and they are very knowledgeable compared to speaking with guys down here. The local guy talked to down here pretty much, gave us a brochure and said here’s your options.  The guy up north is a stihl and  Husqvarna dealer.  He said he repairs 40 huskies compared to one stihl. 

42 minutes ago, Markster said:

Looks like you have beav’s. If it was me i’d be getting them out of there or you’ll be fixing that road continually.

about the saw, my brother bought a stihl 170 recently. It was a good price and a decent unit but be aware that it is a homeowner saw.

Its not going to put up with continual usage like a commercial unit would. Get yourself about 3 extra blades and keep them sharp and you’ll be happy.

I not sure about getting the beavers out of there. Don’t think the in-laws would be up for that. I believe they’re protected or some shit like that but I’ll definitely run the idea by them.

The saw, I know the 170 is a homeowner saw. It’s just going to be for light work liming trees, cutting small trees Maybe like 4 inches etc. 

He said yeah, the 170 will cut down any tree but cut down one not 20 or 30.

The 462 is a sick saw but might be a little overkill for us. We’re not running a company or cutting acres of trees might do 40 trees over the next couple years. I think we’ll settle for the 362.  

Fyi the smaller saws are made in China. The bigger saws are made in Germany.

56 minutes ago, Markster said:

The road will be getting graveled to help with erosion. But that still doesn’t help the beaver problem

51 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Some prices from Philbrics Vineland where I have done some business with .(lawnmower repair last year) The pro saws are verrrry pricy !

https://www.pfgequip.com/collections/chainsaws

I think the 170 was only a couple hundred bucks with a 16 inch bar The 362 I think was 1100 with a 24 inch bar the 462 I think was around 1500 with a 24 inch bar

No legal issue with getting the beaver out of there. You can ask the guy that has the registered trapline in the area. He may include your place in his rounds. He may try to charge you, but just know that the price of beav pelts are hot right now, but caster is down. 

The beaver is the only animal that creates its own habitat. He’ll try to back the water up to create that habitat and you wont like the result.

pm me if you need options.

As far as chainsaws go, a sharp chain is your friend. A good sharp chain, seafoam, no ethanol fuel if you can get it, and regular maintenance will make a homeowner saw last a good long time.

4 hours ago, Markster said:

As far as chainsaws go, a sharp chain is your friend. A good sharp chain, seafoam, no ethanol fuel if you can get it, and regular maintenance will make a homeowner saw last a good long time.

Do guys run race gas in their saws? Like 100+ octane. 

4 hours ago, Markster said:

No legal issue with getting the beaver out of there. You can ask the guy that has the registered trapline in the area. He may include your place in his rounds. He may try to charge you, but just know that the price of beav pelts are hot right now, but caster is down. 

The beaver is the only animal that creates its own habitat. He’ll try to back the water up to create that habitat and you wont like the result.

pm me if you need options.

The in-laws are not interested in getting rid of the beavers I asked. They said they’re good for the pond. Maybe they’ll change their minds. 

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I think the 170 was only a couple hundred bucks with a 16 inch bar The 362 I think was 1100 with a 24 inch bar the 462 I think was around 1500 with a 24 inch bar

I've had my 170 going on 8 years without an issue...a touch of seafood as mentioned in every couple tanks...don't leave bad fuel in it ...change it every month or run it dry same as a small outboard