Hunting wmu 58 and surrounding areas

Tyler0420

In 2026 I’ll be moving just south of pembroke. Gf’s parents bought us 4 acres of land so we’re going to build a small cottage/home. 

I don’t hunt now but I will be when I move there. I know absolutely nothing about hunting,guns,ammunition etc. 

I know I need licenses/guns etc but where should I start?

anyone know what hunting is like around this area? Looks pretty good. Lots of bush and no major developments. 

58 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

An adventure it will be. 
born and raised in brantford and have had 2 jobs in my life. I’m not one for change so this will be a journey.  

That's a long way from the big lakes !  You will find some great fishing and hunting spots up there . I hope you can visit us southerners sometime .

I had 2 basic jobs as well . First one lasted about 1.5 years at ETF Tools ,then 30 years at GM  and retired at 49 in 1992.

That's a lot of fishing/hunting time in after 31 years of retirement on Dec.23 this year .  :Gonefishing:.....:th_fudd:........    🐰 

17 minutes ago, smerchly said:

That's a long way from the big lakes !  You will find some great fishing and hunting spots up there . I hope you can visit us southerners sometime .

I had 2 basic jobs as well . First one lasted about 1.5 years at ETF Tools ,then 30 years at GM  and retired at 49 in 1992.

That's a lot of fishing/hunting time in after 31 years of retirement on Dec.23 this year .  :Gonefishing:.....:th_fudd:........    🐰 

Ya no more Great Lake fishing really. Bay of quinte is only 2hrs south so I’ll be venturing there.  Lots of lakes around mostly pike walleye bass musky and some lakers.  Should be some smaller lakes around stocked with trout. 

as for hunting gf’s parents bought 13acres plus 4 for us so I might just have 

17 acres to hunt before having to look elsewhere. 

bucket list- shoot a deer/bear from the kayak. Unfortunately no moose around but I’d think there’s some more north. 

Sounds like the gf's parents retirement dream Ty ? I thought there would be moose up that far north .  As for carp ...probably will have to go south a tad on the Ottawa R.

If I was to choose a different place to enjoy my retirement I would choose the Quinte area with a place on (near) the water like Long Reach , Deseronto ....

In the meantime , enjoy our nice warm comfy winters here in the banana belt .   

I'm super excited for you Tyler!

Your fishing opportunities just expanded incredibly!! You will be almost on the doorstep of Algonquin Park with so many backwater opportunities plus the amazing Ottawa River fishery that you are familiar with. My grandparents used to have a cottage on White Lake which is also a very rich fishery, then you have the Mississippi River system.

There are moose up that way so there is definitely an opportunity there. When you start asking questions about firearms you will get SO many opinions. I belong to a couple of different forums and these discussions sometimes get quite heated. In reality what you would need to get started would be a plinker .22, a workhorse shotgun, I'd stick with a 12 gauge and a big game rifle. I would go with a tried a trusted well known cartridge like .308 or 30-06 as you can find the ammo anywhere and it has been around forever. Yes there are "better" options for different situations but these two will get the job done in virtually any situation if you know your limitations. That's just a starter without getting into brand comparisons.

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

I'm super excited for you Tyler!

Your fishing opportunities just expanded incredibly!! You will be almost on the doorstep of Algonquin Park with so many backwater opportunities plus the amazing Ottawa River fishery that you are familiar with. My grandparents used to have a cottage on White Lake which is also a very rich fishery, then you have the Mississippi River system.

There are moose up that way so there is definitely an opportunity there. When you start asking questions about firearms you will get SO many opinions. I belong to a couple of different forums and these discussions sometimes get quite heated. In reality what you would need to get started would be a plinker .22, a workhorse shotgun, I'd stick with a 12 gauge and a big game rifle. I would go with a tried a trusted well known cartridge like .308 or 30-06 as you can find the ammo anywhere and it has been around forever. Yes there are "better" options for different situations but these two will get the job done in virtually any situation if you know your limitations. That's just a starter without getting into brand comparisons.

Thanks bubba. 
going to have to retire soon so I can enjoy it all. I’m 36 :)

2 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

amazing Ottawa River fishery

I can’t wait to fish here. There’s the Bonnechere River that runs though the town we’ll be living by. Hopefully their be some carp in it :)

You will be almost on the doorstep of Algonquin Park

Not sure of the boundaries of Algonquin park but if it’s  hwy60&17 that surround it then I’ll be 15min from the east side of it. 

the closest town is eganville and from what I see it’s absolutely beautiful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 7:42 PM, genec said:

Kayak hunting??  That might be iffy, as you may not be able to transport the game back in it.

I definitely have to look into it more. I’d make sure there would be a way to get the animal out. I’ll have a quad also 

On 12/19/2023 at 7:49 PM, smerchly said:

Sounds like the gf's parents retirement dream Ty ?

Ya they just wanna get away from the city life and it’s never a bad idea to buy land. 

Ohep dot net

Take the course. If you're not doing well they'll assign some extra effort your way. It's not just regs either it's ethics. As for hunting from a kayak, I've taken a few geese but I can never fit more than two in the kayak. Doesn't matter because around the big ponds as soon as you fire a shot somebody's calling the cops. Then you have to paddle in and show them your accreditations and they apologize for bothering you. But by then it's too late. Things are probably much more relaxed up there I hope. Hey even if you think you're not going to hunt, take that course. It's definitely education that everyone should have. Like they should be teaching this in junior high

10 hours ago, Dan Andrews said:

Ohep dot net

Take the course. If you're not doing well they'll assign some extra effort your way. It's not just regs either it's ethics. As for hunting from a kayak, I've taken a few geese but I can never fit more than two in the kayak. Doesn't matter because around the big ponds as soon as you fire a shot somebody's calling the cops. Then you have to paddle in and show them your accreditations and they apologize for bothering you. But by then it's too late. Things are probably much more relaxed up there I hope. Hey even if you think you're not going to hunt, take that course. It's definitely education that everyone should have. Like they should be teaching this in junior high

Thanks dan

ill look Into that course 

• 4 weeks later...

Went and checked out the land today. An absolute beautiful place.  
Deer tracks,droppings, scrapes and trails all over the land. 
nice little frozen “pond” owned by the beavers. 

the amount of ponds/lakes, rivers/streams is unreal. I’m use to Icefishing lakes and seeing 100’s of huts out. I think the most I seen on one lake was 5-6. 

lots of snow their right now. Snow mobile trails everywhere and in town  they even had a huge snow mobile racing event going on. 

Didn’t really get any good pics but here’s a few. 

IMG_3991.jpeg

IMG_3992.jpeg

IMG_3995.jpeg

On 1/9/2024 at 2:59 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Where would I find maps of crown land?

Just seen this. For looking up Crown Land (for camping), I use the Crown Land Atlas. 

https://www.ontario.ca/page/crown-land-use-policy-atlas

Beautiful place country up that way. You could try a different river/lake/stream every day for a month and not travel more than an hour!

Ya there’s so much around. The busiest lake I seen with ice fisherman was maybe 5 huts.  Definitely not like looking out on lake simcoe. 

Nice land Tyler an outdoorsmans dream to have a chunk like that in a beautiful area...good times ahead! Let me know if you need help setting up a spot for me to hunt 😆 lol...I mean you ..joking..maybe lol..you'll love it there but alot of work ahead that's for sure.

15 minutes ago, fishingking said:

Nice land Tyler an outdoorsmans dream to have a chunk like that in a beautiful area...good times ahead! Let me know if you need help setting up a spot for me to hunt 😆 lol...I mean you ..joking..maybe lol..you'll love it there but alot of work ahead that's for sure.

I will need some hunting buddies :)

the people that owned the 13acres used it as a hunt camp. Theres a bunkie  on the property with a tree already set up to hang deer.