Wildlife Charities

First thing I read this morning while having my coffee ....... and I was a member of Ducks Unlimited , it seems the only thing "unlimited" with many of these charities is the pay checks the upper management receives .  I'll help support the humane societies anytime , but thinking twice for any others.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/heads-of-17-canadian-environmental-charities-collecting-major-compensation

You have to remember that DU is not just a charity handing out money to people in need.

It is a major environmental organization that does wetland creation, development and maintenance all across North America!

To do all that work requires a large number of employees with various environmental skill sets, and that requires a great skill set in management.  They do everything from major wetland creation (e.g., 1.5 million acres just in Manitoba alone) to tiny scale projects.  Several years ago, after a careful property assessment,  they created a 1/2 acre pond in the family farm bush, and it now supports a small duck population every year.

The other important fact you need to understand is that 90% of the money they raise is done in the U S, but they spend 70% of their total wetland development money in Canada since we are the breeding grounds for ducks.

I think their executives earn every cent they make!!

And Bill, as a side note, I refuse to ever help the humane societies because they proliferate the cat population, and cats are the biggest all-time killers of small mammals and birds!! Many of these species are nearing dangerously low levels because of cat predation!!

57 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’d support more charities if I knew management wasn’t getting 90% of it. And that’s why I help the homeless because I know 100% is going to them. 

Good to help our most vulnerable people who end up on the streets caused from many unfortunate reasons . 

Food banks also help but there are some who take advantage of free food they really don't need.

And many help out by getting involved with fish habitat and tree planting as some NFN members have done , like JWL , Canada Dude ,Dan Andrews(son), GeneC., ect.ect.

It was a learning experience for me feeding the penned salmon at Port (SCGFA) and watching them grow until released for everyone's benefit .

...and thanks for all that good info Gene . We need to have a large organization to do work across the country . The question we ask is how much of my $100 donation goes to the ducks ? There has be be a reasonable balance . I still get my DU letters in the mailbox and still wear the nice DU hat they sent me .

When newspapers print stories these days I have to question what are their motives ....usually supporting their favourite political party, or looking for comments pro or con.

Bill, I cant find any figures on what percentage of their funds goes to ducks, but according to their website, there are only 359 employees for all of Canada, which is very low considering all their work duties across the whole country, and over 4200 volunteers.

I would think from these numbers that the vast majority of funds raised goes into the wetlands projects.

I will not ever give homeless people money. I used to work at a shelter and all they do is panhandle until they get enough money for their next hit, or just go and buy booze with it. I have donated clothing, food etc but I'm not going to enable their addictions by giving them cash

14 hours ago, Darryl L said:

I will not ever give homeless people money. I used to work at a shelter and all they do is panhandle until they get enough money for their next hit, or just go and buy booze with it. I have donated clothing, food etc but I'm not going to enable their addictions by giving them cash

You can usually tell if they're really struggling. Most seem to be younger and able bodied. 

The panhandling is an organized effort for sure and have their territories marked.

Same applies for those collecting cans.

Newspapers like the T.O. Sun print stories to "Phish" for comments and then "go with the flow" to make themselves look like they are on the side of the "people" . There are many comments that are against all charities . On Jan. 3 the big story was about those super rich people who made more money by Jan 2 than the average wage earner makes in a year . Reading all the comments from this story shows how divided we are on many issues . Many said they support animals in need but may frown on hunters , like the peetah people . As most comments come from Toronto , I expected them to agree with their newspaper . 

TO loves to receive illegals, but none will welcome any into their own large homes.

As for charity.....I'd never blindly hand over a large sum of money. But rather purchase goods/services as needed.

I'd hate to see the board members each get themselves each a new luxury car to attend their meetings to get more money.