The 12

I have previously said I'm reluctant to fish the 12 Mile since there are people living in their shelters on both sides mostly near the city and the Welland Vale area where there was a stabbing last fall . There's a good variety of fish there including pike , carp and channel cats . There's a story in todays paper about some homeless people living in tents at the "Root Beer River" , that Marth11 called it as he fished from the cement abutment there .  It's not safe to fish alone there anymore unless we stay close to where most people walk their dogs , jog or bike near Glendale Ave bridge . Joey , aka Marth11 fished this spot a few years back but it's not a good spot to fish now .  

root beer r.jpg

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

why do they get the good fishing spot?

They come early & have heat , water , toilet , camp fire and fresh fish . 

I can't compete with that ........   😪

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

They come early & have heat , water , toilet , camp fire and fresh fish . 

I can't compete with that ........   😪

Some days I wish I lived on the river bank :)

On 1/5/2024 at 3:04 PM, smerchly said:

I have previously said I'm reluctant to fish the 12 Mile since there are people living in their shelters on both sides mostly near the city and the Welland Vale area where there was a stabbing last fall . There's a good variety of fish there including pike , carp and channel cats . There's a story in todays paper about some homeless people living in tents at the "Root Beer River" , that Marth11 called it as he fished from the cement abutment there .  It's not safe to fish alone there anymore unless we stay close to where most people walk their dogs , jog or bike near Glendale Ave bridge . Joey , aka Marth11 fished this spot a few years back but it's not a good spot to fish now .  

Definitely a great spot for carp and Cats. Last year I went a couple times to get a line wet, but it made for an uncomfortable feeling of not being safe not to mention they've made a complete mess of the area on both sides. I just found myself looking over my shoulder a fair bit, so I put a bell on my rod lol

RBR was also great for channel cats... Haven't fished there in years though. 

I haven't fished the 12 for a couple years and I miss fishing for the carp and channel cats . Ten plus years ago we had some great bass fishing . go back 60 years ago we caught so many suckers that came through the old locks at Port Dal. and also had some fun with Kamloops trout that we stocked in the upper 12. Those were the days my friends that 'ended' .