Port Pier

smerchly

Have a seat and enjoy the scenery . They say this photo was taken THIS winter during the short cold spell ?  I remember past years when the whole harbour froze over almost  up to the hydro dam .  Beauty shot with the lighthouse on the east side !  

Screenshot 2024-02-15 090101.jpg

9 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Anti homeless benches with bar across the middle so you can't sleep on them.

Good thing !! It would take a while to thaw him out !  😉

Spent the morning checking out ice conditions ect . First stop was Martindale , mostly open water and some downed trees by the beavers  and on my way out I caught a glimpse of an eagle (long shot)  Then off to Henley Is. where it's wide open now, road needs fixing .

Off to Port Dal.where there I saw 6 guys fishing the west side where the current was strong . I checked out Rennie P. on the way out and was shocked to see they were busy clearing out many trees and shrubs on the east bank I assume is for the spectators when the regatta races start this summer . It also opens up more space for anglers .

Nice day to get out to decide where I'll wet my lines in open water ....some pics....

Eagle at the GRT.jpg

GRT beaver tree.jpg

Beavers at work.jpg

Rennie Trees .jpg

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

Spent the morning checking out ice conditions ect . First stop was Martindale , mostly open water and some downed trees by the beavers  and on my way out I caught a glimpse of an eagle (long shot)  Then off to Henley Is. where it's wide open now, road needs fixing .

Off to Port Dal.where there I saw 6 guys fishing the west side where the current was strong . I checked out Rennie P. on the way out and was shocked to see they were busy clearing out many trees and shrubs on the east bank I assume is for the spectators when the regatta races start this summer . It also opens up more space for anglers .

Nice day to get out to decide where I'll wet my lines in open water ....some pics....

Eagle at the GRT.jpg

GRT beaver tree.jpg

Beavers at work.jpg

Rennie Trees .jpg

No luck today smerch ?

took the car for a run to C.Tire then checked out spots for remaining ice ,water viz. 

Think I'll rig up a light rod for pannies soon but some colder temps on the way for a while so may hit up Port D for some drifting.

Ty....Rennie looking good for pike  now and lots of space for carping .

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

took the car for a run to C.Tire then checked out spots for remaining ice ,water viz. 

Think I'll rig up a light rod for pannies soon but some colder temps on the way for a while so may hit up Port D for some drifting.

Ty....Rennie looking good for pike  now and lots of space for carping .

I noticed my local carp pond has opened up. Going to start putting some bait in. 

I have fished for carp while sitting on that bench but it was not easy casting along that bank with a 12 ft. rod with the low tree branches ....all clear now !

How much chum and how often Ty ?   Will the carp leave as soon as dinner is done or will they hang around for dessert ?

Just asking for a friend ......    :Gonefishing: 

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have fished for carp while sitting on that bench but it was not easy casting along that bank with a 12 ft. rod with the low tree branches ....all clear now !

How much chum and how often Ty ?   Will the carp leave as soon as dinner is done or will they hang around for dessert ?

Just asking for a friend ......    :Gonefishing: 

they hang out in the shallow end of the lake cuz it warms quick. I’ll just put some packbait balls/corn out once in a while. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's very busy at Port (Rennie) now as the finish line building is being demolished and a new one will be built . They are also going to re-sod a large area of grass near there . And there was some talk of turning Lock St. into a pedestrian mall ???  That was shot down by city council , for now. Imagine the traffic nightmare if that happens . Story on this in the Standard .  It's better to come from JC Park to fish the Rennie area , lots of parking there.

The worms are out tonight , took me 10 min.to grab 2 doz.  

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

It's very busy at Port (Rennie) now as the finish line building is being demolished and a new one will be built . They are also going to re-sod a large area of grass near there . And there was some talk of turning Lock St. into a pedestrian mall ???  That was shot down by city council , for now. Imaging the traffic nightmare if that happens . Story on this in the Standard .  It's better to come from JC Park to fish the Rennie area , lots of parking there.

We gotta do a rennie trip this year smerch 

25 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

We gotta do a rennie trip this year smerch 

Yup ...  there are some real hungry carp there that can 'catch' you by surprise . They are doing road/sewer work on  Ontario St. near JC park now , hope they finish up soon 

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

It's very busy at Port (Rennie) now as the finish line building is being demolished and a new one will be built . They are also going to re-sod a large area of grass near there . And there was some talk of turning Lock St. into a pedestrian mall ???  That was shot down by city council , for now. Imaging the traffic nightmare if that happens . Story on this in the Standard .  It's better to come from JC Park to fish the Rennie area , lots of parking there.

It's that much of a shopping destination?

So it would become a dead end? That doesn't make sense.

That four way stop is a bottle neck as it is, coupled with that traffic light when it is red.

I remember during 1998 I avoided the area when the last World Rowing Championships were here.

We would need to drive to the main parking lot and exit out to Main St. ? Visitors will need to use the pay parking lot and it would not be surprising to see the 'pollenating' property behind the finish building . Go east young man ......   :Gonefishing:

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

We would need to drive to the main parking lot and exit out to Main St. ? Visitors will need to use the pay parking lot and it would not be surprising to see the 'pollenating' property behind the finish building . Go east young man ......   :Gonefishing:

Yeah. I would not be surprised if city council will suggest a toll booth to go through Lakeside Parking to get to Main St. 

I'll bet that whoever came up with such ideas to improve Port Dalhousie are from Toronto area.

1 hour ago, steelshady said:

I was fishing the west side yesterday, browns are around....

I planned on trying for browns today using a spinner worm combo but Ma Nature was in a mood again .....

And a 10' x 3' piece of rolled roofing just came crashing to the ground from my barn shed this morning , broke away from the nails ! Crazy !! So I filled the seam with black roofing cement and will get some shingles later this spring . 

East wind today Steelshady , not nice on the west side . Are the parking machines up there now ?

18 hours ago, smerchly said:

I planned on trying for browns today using a spinner worm combo but Ma Nature was in a mood again .....

And a 10' x 3' piece of rolled roofing just came crashing to the ground from my barn shed this morning , broke away from the nails ! Crazy !! So I filled the seam with black roofing cement and will get some shingles later this spring . 

East wind today Steelshady , not nice on the west side . Are the parking machines up there now ?

I would be casting 2/5 Cleo's (blue/silver) on the lake side.....

19 hours ago, smerchly said:

I park by old pier 61 Restaurant, next week will start fishing the river when days are longer, lots of fish are moving up and going back to the lake by April, Lake Erie water is warmer by 5 degrees F, warmest recorded temp in 100 years for March.  With the last two warm winters I doubt that there will be any fish in the pool by May just like last year.  I was catching spawning fish in the river early February.  

I tossed few swimbaits for an hour on the west side and that north wind was cool . Then I tried Rennie pond for 15 min. while the big machines were cleaning up the remains from the finish line structure . I didn't get a chance to try the worms , tomorrow may be a better time to try again   :Gonefishing:

Good to see some spring fishing happening.

Anyone wanting a few dozen pannie sized shiners for free tomorrow morning pm me and il leave a pail under my boat in my driveway ...im in allanburg by the bridge on hwy 20...or they'll just go in my  garden when I get home from work tomorrow ...just freshened the water and they're on a pump over night...msg me by 7 am..