Lure Id needed

Davidp16

Hello everyone, I just got back from a fishing sale today, and I bought a mystery tackle box, and included in this was these?? I've fished my whole life and never seen these or am sure what they are used for if someone could help me thank you! 

20240309_181013.jpg

Top water 'attractors' for bass or skis ?  They are plastic with a hole through them ? Just add a big treble .  I have never seen those things anywhere.   

Spin and glow were originally a west coast steelhead / salmon thing in the late 80's, early 90's or so along the time corkies came around and way before beads became popular. They would trail them with yarn or roe or shrimp. They fish alot differently out there than us, and some really fast, shallow runs we would never really try around here. Fish out there seem to grab anything that gets there attention as they don't have any time to inspect so these probably took their share of fish. I remember trying them in the lower river a few times back than and never got a fish....All that said they should probably be relegated to the bottom of your tackle box where they'll never be seen again!

Maybe more so in a bottom bouncing situation they will.

MAYBE from a boat where the drift is controlled it can be better.

That's why I don't use them. Even with good swivels it won't help if it

tangles/twists upon itself during the drift. Could be the wings, could from not true center lined?

I notice this with corkies and streamers as well. Just worse with winged corkies. 

Used them many times in the lower Niagara. Caught mostly Lakers with them. I also made my own from cork and plastic I cut from a bleach bottle.

1 hour ago, boogaloo said:

Used them many times in the lower Niagara. Caught mostly Lakers with them. I also made my own from cork and plastic I cut from a bleach bottle.

Do you pin it on the line and add a hook Like a bead?

On 3/15/2024 at 8:36 AM, Tyler0420 said:

Do you pin it on the line and add a hook Like a bead?

No pin, I drill a hole through the cork and glue in a piece of tubing from a spray can. As long as they can spin freely it won't twist yer line.............Daniel