Special Fish

The last few years has been difficult for me to get out like I normally do. That being said, I truly appreciate the times when I can get out on the bank. This year I had one short 3 hour session locally, and a trip to Rice Lake this past weekend. Friday night until Monday morning, 3 of us fished when we could. The wind made it impossible to fish for most of the day Saturday, and almost impossible to fish during the night. Everyone caught fish and we had a great time together. I wanted to share the absolute beautiful mirror carp I caught. For most Canadian carp anglers, catching a mirror is nothing short of extraordinary! These fish were the highlight of the trip for all 3 of us. 

IMGP7714-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IMGP7797-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Beautiful markings on those mirrors !! I didn't know Rice Lake has a good number of mirror carp .

Two the same day ? And you had nasty weather to boot ! 

What was  the bait of the day ?  Someday , I hoping to catch a grass carp , have you had any luck with those yet Kevin ?

And why the chest waders Kev ?

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Beautiful markings on those mirrors !! I didn't know Rice Lake has a good number of mirror carp .

Two the same day ? And you had nasty weather to boot ! 

What was  the bait of the day ?  Someday , I hoping to catch a grass carp , have you had any luck with those yet Kevin ?

And why the chest waders Kev ?

I had the bigger mirror on saturday and the smaller mirror sunday. It's rare to get a mirror Smerch. 2 is a blessing. And this is the 3rd time I have had 2 mirrors during the same session. The mirror whisperer lol. Just good luck sir and the stars were aligned.

The weather was tricky, we had to pick our windows to fish. The wind was raging. 

I caught majority of my fish on a 15mm banana pop-up. I used what they call a ronnie rig and it keeps the bait up off the bottom. 

I have never seen a grass carp sir, nor have I encountered anyone who has personally caught or seen one in canada.

The chest waders were to stay dry. I was up and down a bank that was getting smashed with waves. Majority of my fish I fought and landed in the water. I often do this. In this particular swim I fished, waders were absolutely necessary. Was a bonus to have them for a photo in the water as well!

Thanks , great info . There are times  when I elevate my baits like when there's algae on the bottom . When I first fished for carp Lorne Morley showed me how to use the corn puffs which I can not find now . They float so it was easy to rig them any distance from bottom . Cheerios also float and carp take them too.

That beast on the bottom photo sure  looks to be more than 22 lbs. with that girth ! They must be eating a lot of Rice !

That shoreline looks pretty rough ,sometimes a battle to keep the fish clear of the debris . 

This photo was taken at Lake Gibson near Beaverdams Rd. . (MNR)

Grass Carp Gibby.jpg

On 4/25/2024 at 9:16 PM, smerchly said:

Thanks , great info . There are times  when I elevate my baits like when there's algae on the bottom . When I first fished for carp Lorne Morley showed me how to use the corn puffs which I can not find now . They float so it was easy to rig them any distance from bottom . Cheerios also float and carp take them too.

That beast on the bottom photo sure  looks to be more than 22 lbs. with that girth ! They must be eating a lot of Rice !

That shoreline looks pretty rough ,sometimes a battle to keep the fish clear of the debris . 

This photo was taken at Lake Gibson near Beaverdams Rd. . (MNR)

Grass Carp Gibby.jpg

Lake Gibson! WOW Smerch. Yes sir those are big fish!