Port dalhousie pike

pike007

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chilli

Right up top at the regata. I've caught pike on powergrubs in the spring. Seen them come through the ice too. Up stream at Martindale pond can be productive. The 12 mile creek just up from Glendale bridge is also good. I've been told by many people that behind McDonalds on Ontario St is also good for larger Pike but I've never tried there. A spot that looks good is the Wellandvale spillway by the old Niagara collage. If it's not too grown over by now. Just watch out for the men's men down there. And finnally down Decew rd. There's the raised man made lake. I've watched them swim in at night looking for rock bass etc. You can enter from behind Brock U also.

All these spots I've mention are part of the twelve mile creek system so I Imagine that mostly everywhere in the system is a safe bet.

Thanks a million the spot you mentioned behind mcdonalds ive fished there last year a guy caught a small muskie maybe 5-7 pounds i seen pike come up to the surface but never caught em ....just caught smallies and sheephead..i went back a couple more times with no luck.Theres muskie there too !! Hey have you fished near gate 12 GM ..i think its the old welland canal system i caught 13 pike there but now i cant get anymore lol!

Guest chilli

Was talking about that spot just yesterday. Haven't fished there since I was a kid but we used to get em there. I was talking to a guy at the entrance about 2 weeks ago who was headed back up there due to catching a hammer handle the day before while fishing for bass. He was just using a stick bait so maby a nice feathery spinner would go well up there.

Really eh i didnot think alot of people knew about the spot! Red and white spinnerbaits are killer there also small bucktails ..by the way were talking about Gate 12 right? :P Anyway is there muskie in there! Also what other speices of fish?

where's gate 12? it's not where the salmon come in in the fall, is it?

the lower part of Lake Gibson is incredible for pike in the spring, but i don't think you can fish there anymore..... i think that's right across from the man made lake chilli was talking about....

I've heard the McD spot is good in the spring aswell....

My bor and i were fishing Beaverdams a week ago sunday and he managed into a small pike..... last year i ended up with a gar pike out of the same area in the spring....

And if you want to get into Welland, i've seen them netting pike up there in the spring by the dam thing and it's supposed to be good bass/pike fishing in the welland river all year long.....

I'd be interested to get out for a day with some of you and do some pike/bass fishing.... i usually get out every evening upto beaverdams (got a 2lb LM yesterday) and a follow from a pike....

*EDIT* also thoght i'd add the first pike i caught in the area was up in Allanburg (off hwy 20), by the little "falls" i believe it runs into Lake Gibson aswell....

Yes indeed salmon to make a run through there ! Beaverdams are you talking about when the highway ends you make a left and its a bumby gravel road tthat leads to a dead end then theres waterfall with a little rusted bridge!

that place is Allanburg, but yes that's the first place i caught a pike.... drive the car down the gravel road, 'til you come to the abutments and then walk way back in, i caught it at the base of the falls a few years back.

The beaverdams area i'm speaking of (where we got the pike a week+ ago) is right at the end of Collier rd. in Thorold..... just go to the Canadian Tire on glendale, head up the hill and Beaverdams is right at the end of that road....

So gate 12 is the spot right in by GM.... do lots of Salmon fishing there, but have never heard of anyone getting anything other than that (and sunfish) in that area.... :P

Theres a spot where there isnot much weed and no fish only in october when the salmon come through theres big tubes with alot of rocks.But then up further there is aspot wiht alot of reeds and this is where the pike are!

hmmm.... i'm not exactly sure where that would be.. i've only fished where the tubes come out at glendale and down towards the lock part of it.... i have heard people say that there are pike up further behind the plant more, but i've never been up there...... remember my neighbour used to do alot of pike fishing in that area now... might have to go and get lost in that area and find out :P

Im all booked for the rest of this week and next alot of work to do before i go upnorth ill let you know though when i get back...anyway if you really want to check out the pike fishing its really simple ...in your vehicle go straight when you hit the gate turn around and park on the side your going to see an opening walk up and over the hill youll see a short field and ull see tall reeds theres a few openings go right through them and youll be in pike heaven theres a few cleared spots so keep your eyes opended ...through out spinnerbaits bucktaill ..any average pike lure ...Im pretty sure theres muskie there too !

i went and checked it out earlier today to see if i could find the spot..... did exactly what you said, except we turned right went above the lock that was there (a nice bass was in there- 4lb range i would say) walked up where there lots off reeds, looked like a tressel went over the spot just up a bit..... didn't bother casting tho...

I did stop at the spot before i turned right there were a bunch of rocks/boulders it was right near the opening of the lock... not sure if that's the right spot or not? lol

on a side note i did get to Beaverdams and did get a couple nice bass, really windy tho and had to cast into it... but still a nice hour :P

Sorry if you couldnot find it ..it is pretty tricky to find if you dont know the area one question did you go past the gates.! Ill make you map whats your email!

nope, didn't get past the gates.... pulled upto the gates and turned around and parked about 50ft from the gates toward Glendale Ave.... there was a large opening and then we crossed the field, went in between a few trees and came to the bottom of the lock (there's an old car just inside the lock itself)... i wasn't sure whther to turn right or head back towards Glendale Ave., so we walked to the right (away from Glendale Ave.) and were heading upto the tressel.... would like to try this spot out tomorrow morning... i probably found it, but just didn't know it lol :P

my email is spankareno@hotmail.com

Was the car dumped in the lock pretty smashed up then you look to your left and theres big rocks boulders and if you look up theres a golf course ...if you keep walking left youll see some more boulders and you can fish right off them smallmouth-pike then if you keeping going down the trail about a 50 sec walk if that youll come to a cement block look to your right and theres a path that leads to a cleared area where theres tons of pike ! Let me know how you did? And look in you email box if the map i made werks you should have it!

yeah, the car was up about a 10sec walk to the right it was pretty beat up... the big rocks are right at the base of that lock (the end of the entrance-where we first walked in) and the golf course is right across the way......

So i go to my left back towards Glendale Ave. and NOT to the right towards the back of GM?

Haven't gotten the map yet, but i'll keep a look out and i will let you now how we did :P

Ok heres what you do when you go to the big lock you look down and theres the car ...go LEFT youll see the rocks'bouldrs in between the trees you can fish right off them if you like , theres current there keep on going left down the dirt path you come to a cement block at your feet its like a ledge at the ledge if you look to your right youll see a hidden path LOOk VERY GOOD...walk down the path and there is a cleared spot this is where i fish also there is a peice of brown plywood this is how you know your in the right spot! Sorry about the map Hp imaging wont let me attach it . I would save these directions let me know how you made out thanks!

Re: Gate 12 ... I tend not to wander deep since i tend to fis halone and have heard recent stories of rattlers being seen/heard around there and can do without being bit and having noone around!

bah, should only be mississauga rattlers, nothing to worry abou... if coursei did grow up in western hill and spent alot of time at the 12 mile and there were tonnes of them there lol

shoot me an email when you're ready to head out somewhere and i'l meet up with ya's... i'm always ready to do some shore fishing :P

I have Saturday off for the first time this year so I will be fishing somewhere all day. If you wnat to meet up and try for some pike/muskie in that area I am game!

IBC

aka

Dan

Archived