Port dalhousie pike

pike007

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've known about it for years... never ben 'cause i wasn't sure where exactly it was... the only thing i'll tell others is that i fish the old canal..... same as i tell them i fish Beaverdams- try it in certain spots there and you'll never go back lol

Alot of people know about they just think theres no fish there so they dont bother fishing...same with welland canal on government road no one fishes there even though theres good smallmouth and sheephead fishing ...i dont know about pike though!

Hey spanky did you end up going to Gm today?

So you live on the st.catharines side! Where you need to fish is by the waterfalls ,smallmouth sheepheads,perch,browns,rockbass,carp,channel cats,and the odd crappie ..i mostly use live bait like minnows worms leetches crayfish but sometimes powerbait and small spoons work good to.! GOOd luck and like i said try by the waterfalls because you know the fish are moving beacuse of the current be careful though ..let me know how you did!

all these years i thought you weren't allowed to fish in the cannal.... i'm only a hop skip and a jump from Glendale Ave. too :)

I did get up there today, didn't get to the spot you mentioned but i did get to the cement "ledge" and fished straight from there, i was a bit confused 'cause i was thinking to look for a piece of driftwood, well i found it sorta there was some on my left and some on my right.... but i did get to the spot, didn't have any bug reppelant on me so i only stayed for an hour..... but we didn't get anything, wife had a follow on her spinnerbait from a bass, but that was it.... tried spinnerbaits, heddon torpedo's and strike king 3x jerk baits.... couldn't get a thing, made a few casts by the front of the lock and didn't get anything there either....... by that time we were eaten alive and the wife cut her finger with a hook, so we packed it in and headed to Beaverdams.... managed a few small LM bass (spinnerbait) and a nice rock bass (10" long on a 3" senko)....

supposed to rain tomorrow so i'm not sure if i'm gonna head back to the canal or not anytime soon 'cause it's all dirt paths and it'd be a hell of a fall :lol:

lol.... i was rather surprised by the size of the fish myself, it was one you could lip..... the wife LOVES the senko's now... think we'll be back in for a another package or 2.... need to keep a variety of colours.... didn't notice if you have bubblegum in stock... or not tho.... :lol:

oh did i say rock bass..... well, i can't really identify fish that well.... so let's say it was a very large sunfish? :)

LOL you probably were at the cement ledge that over hangs the water right! Well if you on that if you look to your ight youll see a cleared spot and then theres a mini trail that leads down to it .This is where the piece of plywood is.Yep mosguitos are pretty bad on a humid day its awsome when theres a light wind.

yeah i saw that spot, the slightest of wear marks for a path... but at that time wifey was injured and i wasn't tempting the mosquitos any more in my shorts and T-shirt.... gonna try and pick up some repelant tomorrow and give it a go again soon.... now that i know 100% where the spot is :)

Guest Gill Finigan

Yeah, i've got Bubblegum, cream, and the gold pearl in 3". Might have to get a couple more colours too. The 3" have been popular. I love fishing them. You using them weightless? I Like them Wacky style too. They are a very versitile bait

weightless and wacky, yes...... i haven't really found i like them yet, the presentation is a bit too slow for my liking, but i'm sure with time i'll get used to it.... wife loves them tho, she can cast 'em out and sit and wait and wait and wait and wait... :)

think i'm gonna try and stop in tomorrow and grab a package of bubblegum :lol:

Yes i never head there without bug spray i like to use the lotion its (off) its very affective also muskol spray works good i use a face net too ! My freind went there yesterday and he showed me a pic of a 36" he caught very nice pike.! It was released to fight another day.So i figure if theres one theres gotta be more.

i've honestly never used bug spray down here.... up north yeah, but down here it hasn't been too bad so far this year.... of course i don't typically fish in heavy wooded type areas... the damned deer flies are a PITA tho.... but i grabbed some OFF today :)

Today i fished a differnt spot in Gm i walked all the way down to the end past the gates untill i reacheed like a lake type thing that goes into the canal i caught 3 pike and a smallmouth onspinnerbaits i lost lost 2 smaller pike and a bigone broke me off i should get in the habbit of using leaders! I was thinking could of been a muskie,also seen soemthing huge go down the water fall it was huge i think mabe a strugean!

looks like i'm gonna need to walk way back there.... saw a map of the area today and there appears to be a rather large lake back there..... however in the hour or so i fished today i managed a small LM and a 27" deformed pike :lol:

just gotta get the pics developed, but he was seriously mangled/deformed :)

Yep its like a lake its right at the end ! spanky were you fishing in the spot i mentioned by the peice of plywood! How was the fish deformed by the head! ? And what lures of choice !

nope, i was fishing at Beaverdams..... lure of choice was a spinnerbait to initiate contact (missed the strike, he likely couldn't git it only the bottom of his mouth) and then tossed a senko at him and he grabbed it up....

I've got 5 pics left on the camera, it's a disposable type one, and then i'll get it developed and post 'em (maybe tomorrow if i get out to fish), didn't bring my digi-cam.....

The top of the pike's mouth was gone, looked like it was cut off right infront of his eyes.... it's lower jaw extended out like normal, but the top of it, well it looked like it was cut off and then grew inwards.... i've got pics of it tho, i just hope this disposable camera takes decent pics :-?

i'm gonna try and get out to GM tomorrow, i hate leaving my car that far from me tho so i'll have to remove the stereo and stuff before i go.... so i'll need to be very energetic and my fishing partner (wife) is heading to Sturgeon Lake for a family get together, so..... :)

Archived