PIKE

Hellfish

Those pike in cold water are excellent eating. Take the time to properly clean them and you will be surprised at what you will get. I've had a few good meals this spring and I may go back for one more :blink::Gonefishing:

I am pretty picky on eating fish, and don't really eat much at all;.but must say that pike is one of my favs to eat..if you clean em up the "5 fillet way" you virtually get no bones at all.

With practice they are easy to filet. they are about as tasty as walleye any day. Even a walleye out of the Grand loses some of its sweetness.

I prefer to eat a large pike rather than a large walleye anytime. A 10 lb. pike is excellent eating and I do the 5 fillet thing on them . A 10 lb eye goes back in the drink for sure .A small pike about 3 lbs is hard to fillet doing the 5 way , so I just fillet it normally like I would a catfish ! B)

Pike + bacon + onion + lemon + Italian bread crumbs + bottle of wine = fine cuisine ! :D

LOL u guys are too much, someone has to teach me this 5 step fillet thingy cause pike isnt my fav fish to clean i spend more time picking bones out then i do catching the damn things.

Here's a quick look at the 5 fillet method......

northe2.jpg

You can also fillet the pike the same as other fish , then , to get the max. meat from the fish , take the y bones out after the fish is cooked.......Run a small sharp knife along the bone line and remove them ...or pick them out with tweezers ......This method is good for the smaller pike.

hey thanks Smerchly..great reply, will show lots of people what the heck others are talking about when we say "the 5 fillet method"..I am picky when it comes to eating fish, I hate getting bones, spoils my whole meal..and years a go when I went to school ect..to become a chef,I got pretty handy with a knife for cleaning fish and game. Thats a great pic on how to do it

Hellfish nice catch man. I'm pissed at you now .lol . well dude the boat is ready for its maiden voyage and we well need to get out soon. Smerch thanx for posting the five step method. Always good info.

Archived