PIKE

Hellfish

First of all started the day going to the dentist to get my mouth ripped apart then came hme and laid down for a bit, was a little sceptical to go out today clouds were rolling in a lil bit of thunder but no prob, i was just going out to chuck a couple Husky jerks. Stopped by Denis shop for a qucik chat and headed out to the spot. I arrived and to my avail no one was there and it was free of ice. The water was a lil cloudy at times but and and all was alright. broke out the new casting combo and tied a rip off of a lucky craft lure on and MAN was it the right choice, also a really nice older gentleman came and tied up luckily he had a net. So for the first 45 mins no action then the sun came out and it was nearing 4:00 then the pike turned on hit one lost 2 hit another one lost one hit 2 more thne lost maybe another 2 or 3 the action was HOT the older gentleman hit another 3 pike and missed 1 i think, the lure of choice was the rip off,husky jerks didnt produce anything only the rip offs did. ended up leaving around 6:00 as it was starting to get packed there, all and all very satisfied about how the day went. the largest one was 30 inches and the smallest was 25 inches.

Biggest of the day

big.jpg

Smaller one

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/Hellfish66/small.jpg

and the 3 i kept all posing happily together.

pikey.jpg

Sorry if it wasnt too exciting but itz better than nothing :Gonefishing:

BTW prolly the best day of fishing ive had yet this year. Also the fish look a heck of alot smaller in the pics then they do in real life LOL, I guess keep in mind im 6'2 270lbs just for a lil comparison.

way to build up my excitment then nothing!!!!...it better be worth the wait

Guest Rockfish

Nice catch Hellfish, looks like the Pike are getting into spawning mode with the bite marks they have.

Males will fight each other and bite the bigger females to spawn, one 28" er I caught last year was really hacked up. :blink:

:Gonefishing:

Ya there were some marks on them but also 2 of the 3 hap those Lamprey marks. Those fish actually faught preety well i was surprised 2 of them actually did some tail dancing too, must be warming up a bit :Gonefishing:

hey nice catch man, looks like ya finally nailed a few in a day,was hoping to give it a good go today but the wife had other plans :blink:, on a side note, I am starting to get a decent chub collection on the go :Gonefishing:

Guest Rockfish

Aren't pike closed?

Pike are closed right now in Div. 8, Lake O and the lower Niagara River as of April 1 and reopens first Saturday in May. They are also closed in Div. 4 until 2nd Sat. in May. Pike is open year round in the inland Niagara area, Lake Erie and the Upper River.

:Gonefishing:

Guest fishmaster

Now where they caught hook & line or in a dip net they look right full of eggs ..and ive never caught them when there full of eggs on hook & line this time of year ..only when we use to dip net for them in the grand years back when we use to get some over 15 to 20 lbs ..

:Gonefishing: Nice beasties. I do believe I smell the heady aroma of bacon wrapped fishburgs on the barbie smothered in tartar sauce. Yum Yum! :P

That was my supper you could smell BigUgli ...... must be that east wind blowing your way ! :P We had the bacon - onion -breadcrumb pike for dinner and it was excellent ! Yep....yum yum ! :)

Sorry ....forgot the rest of it........GREAT catch hellfish ....looks like you had a fun day out there ! Congrats on some nice pike ! :blink:

Now where they caught hook & line or in a dip net they look right full of eggs ..and ive never caught them when there full of eggs on hook & line this time of year ..only when we use to dip net for them in the grand years back when we use to get some over 15 to 20 lbs ..

Lol reread the post i used husky jerks and a rip off of lucky crafts :blink:

I quote

"broke out the new casting combo and tied a rip off of a lucky craft lure on and MAN was it the right choice, also a really nice older gentleman came and tied up luckily he had a net. So for the first 45 mins no action then the sun came out and it was nearing 4:00 then the pike turned on hit one lost 2 hit another one lost one hit 2 more thne lost maybe another 2 or 3 the action was HOT the older gentleman hit another 3 pike and missed 1 i think, the lure of choice was the rip off,husky jerks didnt produce anything only the rip offs did" :Gonefishing:

ive never dip netted before dont really know how to even do it. Couldnt possibly be any fun doing that. the big one had alot of eggs, and the other one had some nut much and the last one was a male or a juvenile female i guess.

Just wondering why you keep them. Not a great eating fish. Lots of little pike there. :Gonefishing: Nice report.

Good fishing. Scottydog

If cleaned properly, they are a great eating fish Scottydog. They are a bit of work to clean until you get the hang of it but are one of my favorite fish to eat!

PB

Archived