Bass Pro Shop. (Please Support Your Local Tackle Shop)

perkins

Good day folks, a friendly reminder to try and avoid these big box stores. Our local tackle shops have been providing us with great service and prices for years. I actually got hired at bass pro but declined not to mention they pay their staff worse than the locals. I understand they may have a selection that is unobtainable for small businesses. Im sure you all understand how big box stores work. Cheers.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give it a @@@@ing break on this BS.

I buy my stuff from where ever needed. There are members on here who will have a job from that store that might otherwise not exist.

at least if you have a bad experience you can complain. I have had poor experiences at all tackle stores in niagara at one time or another. People have bad days.

Bass pro is also not a specialty store. They are an all round store. Tackle stores are specialty stores.

Waste of space for a post. Search this out on the forums and there are tons of threads.

The whole taking away jobs argument is null and void in my eyes. Bass Pro will hire more people than it will put out of work, not to mention the jobs the store construction has created. Like Snags said, most people will go where the price is best, whether that is at BPS or online.

A tackle shop has to offer something more than price. Offer me a cup of joe when I stick my head in during a slow time, give me practical advice for the type of fishing I want to do, take the time to show me the difference between rods, reels equipment. Don't play the price game, with the overhead for a small location and minimal buying power compared to BPS a local shop will loose.

Get a grip. BPS does way more for the local ecomomy than any tackle store will do.

Job-wise they will hire more than all the local stores combined. I highly doubt tackle stores pay their staff much above min wage.

BPS wont put local stores out of business. It is no different that getting your gear at walmart or canadian tire.

As said in previous BPS threads by others it will also get new people interested in the sport way mpre

Bass pro= more jobs

Pete's/ bait shops= more knowledge base

Bass pro= a more competitive pricing market which keeps people from being gouge

Pete's= limited buying power so the knowledge is a hidden cost in pricing

Bass pro= more people enjoying the sport and creating fisherman that will eventually use a smaller store for more independent knowledge

Petes= area specific tackle

Bass pro= stuff for all over the world

Also lets keep in mind normal bait shops pay there employees minimum wage and don't supply benefits or compensation

Bass pro will give families benefits and bonuses. So if you shop there then fine and if your not going to shut up. This argument has already been to drawn out on here.

Creating 250 jobs is pretty rough on the local economy... You need to relax Perkins. Personally I support Peters and Grimsby tackle whenever I can, but I will definately check out Bass pro, and get things that I cant get at the other local stores.

So if I understand your post correctly, you applied for a job at BP ( the bad big box store that hurts the local businesses), but backed out when you realized the pay was crap? Then you come on here whining about BP? Interesting morals...?

Your message to support local business I agree with 100%, but your approach could use some thought

You do realize walmart and canadian tire have hurt the economy? Im not even arguing because you are pretty illinformed. And i applied there on a cusp and a huge factor was going against my morals. Granted if the pay was 5 to 10 grand more per annum than yes maybe i would take a temporary job there. I obviously understand shopping there for items out of reach with local businesses. So what im gathering is you all have no problems hurting your sponsers webpage? Resign your account and use bass pro shops local fishing forum.

I will remain a small shop guy my buddies own fishing world hence why I'm a site sponsor. I am telling you that with them I discussed this and they are excited for the people that it will introduce to fishing also the fact that bps is more of a experience shop it won't be the seasoned fisherman's go to store. Also Canadian tire was a terrible example of big businesses due to the support they give the community and the fact that through.customer service and knowledge they went from a garage in Toronto to the power house we know today. This may be time for.smaller shops to check out customer service. I have had issues at smaller shops with warranties and such. The rod I bought at sale they gave me a new one and said well handle the warranty. People that oppose bps and canadian tire and such need to widen the view they have on life. The small business that failed was probably not because of the new walmart or whatever it may be,but probably poor business plannimg or.customer service. Also Pete's employs about 6 people and bps will have around 200 when it's all said and done not mention the construction workers and engineers that built it. I agree walmart is bad but businesses need to adapt. It's called an s flow chart. In order to stay competitive and profitable u need to constantly update and try new things. I'll be happy to spend my money I earned anywhere I pleasr and if small shops are concerned then they can update and earn my business. Little info a pack of Berkeley powerbaits is 2 $ at cost average shop sells them for 4.99-5.49. Pete's sells them for 6.79 maybe u should ask Angela why she feels the need to rip u off when all you do is support her shop.

And about the pay so you won't sell out and shop there because u wanna support the small shop but you'll see out and work there if the moneys right. Hahahahaha classic hipocrit. Read a book. And after come over and read the business degree I have. Lol

Most CTC outlets are franchise operations. That means that they are local businesses. I don't know if BPS outlets are franchises or not, but they do hire locally.

I worked at a CTC for just over 2 years. When I left there, I did so with $6,500 in profit sharing. They do look after you!

If a local business featured local suppliers and manufacturers, I could see a point to the argument (that is why I'd rather buy produce at the Farmer's Market), but when the products are the same, I'll go for price point every time.

Classic hipocrit? Did you mean hypocrite? Did your business degree require spelling or was it a certificate you obtained from a retail store making minimum wage. I can interview for jobs and look at prospects and still support local shops and with that being said you are not familiar with my agenda and purposes for employment so maybe you should take your f@#%(ing business degree and stuff it in your pie hole you mutt.

Please no bashing fellow members on my web site. I will not tolerate this abuse

You shop where you want to shop its that simple.Personally I support small shops for my fishing needs but that the choice I make.We all have opinions on fishing related things .But please refrain from name calling .

Thank you

Cliff

To clarify, I am a fly angler, and in point of fact, I usually do buy at a local shop simply because they have what I need and CTC does not. If CTC (or BPS) have a quality equivalent to what I'm looking for, and at a lower price, I'll probably go there.

Well Perkins I apologize as this got heated. In respect to cliff and yourself I apologize. I really am dying to know what you actually called me as it was scrambled, but I'm sure I would of laughed. You have your opinion and I have mine as a grown man I should of not attacked you personally as this was an opinion on a topic not on eachother. Sorry guys. Hope were good but if not hey I tried.

Awwww. :wub: Just like on tv. :P

Hey , the fishing sucks right now ....got the :skunk: today . ....carp have lock jaw .....good reason to get bent out of shape ......but everything is temporary ........ grrrrrr.......may tomorrow be a brighter day ! :Gonefishing:

Honestly don't feel particularly welcomed in local shops, at least not since Steve's shop in Port D. many years ago. Did find the owner in Grimsby Tackle to be fantastic. When B.P. shop is open will be checking it out but don't fish often so won't be a big buyer.

Archived