Perch Or Bass....what Is It ?

knightfisher

Fishing my super secret spot, catching gills when Drifter shows up. Fished for a few hours and one of the fish caught was this.

Posted Image

Can someone tell me if this is a white perch or bass ?

Tommy left and a few minutes later the Ugli boys showed up. We caught a few gills and a few crappie.

Posted Image

This crappie was just over 11 inches. Posted Image

We fished till the light was gone and called it a day.

Guess my secret spot is not so secret after all :rolleyes:

:Gonefishing:

I'm pretty sure that's a Silver Bass in the 1st pic...... Nice outing by the sounds of your day..........

Cheers Bic

Dan , you are right both ways .....it is what is called a white perch or a white bass . I prefer to call them white bass since they are more a member of the bass family rather than the perch family . They are good eating and it helps to cut the "mud line " tissue from the skin side of each fillet since it is oily and tastes very "fishy" . They are real scrappers for their size & I've seen them reach 2 lbs or more . The fly fishers could have fun catching these fish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_perch

My largest white perch , caught in the Bay of Quinte in 07 ........When the "run" is on , the bridges at Quinte are lined with people , filling up 5 gal. pails with them ....a good thing !

wh.perch.jpg

Both..White Perch and White Bass are from the same family (temperate Basses)..easiest way to distinguish between the two is to lift the front dorsal fin..White Bass (the first and second dorsals are separate)..White Perch..(first and second dorsals are joined)..if you lift front dorsal and second doesn't move (White Bass) if rear dorsal moves with front (White Perch)..number 1 rule when identifying any fish..is never identify by colors..(too many variations)..

You guys are all talking about the same fish. LoL

Smerch even posted a link. No such thing as a "white perch". A "striped bass" has the darker lines. A white bass and a silver bass are the same thing...and they sure as heck live in mud holes, cause you can catch them in Jordan.

On a side note, they should start hitting really good anytime now. Great action and good fighters. Very tasty with a side of cottage fried potatoes as well!

Fishing my super secret spot, catching gills when Drifter shows up. Fished for a few hours and one of the fish caught was this.

Can someone tell me if this is a white perch or bass ?

Tommy left and a few minutes later the Ugli boys showed up. We caught a few gills and a few crappie.

This crappie was just over 11 inches.

We fished till the light was gone and called it a day.

Guess my secret spot is not so secret after all :rolleyes:

:Gonefishing:

they dont have teeth ... have you given upon fishing for real fish?

Yes , we call them white perch in this area . They have been here for a long time . The 16 Mile pond , south of the QEW is full of them , although mostly small in size . The silver bass come in heavy at the Niagara River in late spring . We used to get heavy runs of silvers at Port Dal. and even Lake Gibson . Silvers are still plentiful it seems , they have derbies in various places in Ontario and the US , like Detroit ......

check it out !!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/05/18/anglers-descend-on-windsor-for-silver-bass-bonanza/

Found this on another forum...http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39917&d=1367183758 I would say Perch for sure.

Did you read the descriptions? The original pic and post is most definetly a silver/white bass...the "white perch" that they show in the link, says "a perch in name only". A walleye is closer to a perch than the white/silver bass...however, a pickerel is closer to a pike. LOL

Archived