2018 Moose Hunt Guaranteed Group Size

Well it's that time of year again, and the guaranteed group sizes are out. Looks like our group is good for at least another year at 12 for a Bull. Unfortunately it looks like more areas dropping off the list for guaranteed tags. 

Good luck guys!

When our group of 6 moose hunted west of Thunder Bay  10-15 years ago at Arrow -Rose Lake , we drew 5 tags one year ....2 bull & 3 cow .

Our best hunt  produced  3 moose for 6 guys .  Those were the days ......( a few perch dinners too)   :Gonefishing::th_fudd:

2 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Well it's that time of year again, and the guaranteed group sizes are out. Looks like our group is good for at least another year at 12 for a Bull. Unfortunately it looks like more areas dropping off the list for guaranteed tags. 

Good luck guys!

Thats great glad to hear your group is good to go.Yes there are more areas out of luck and thats to bad 

45 minutes ago, smerchly said:

When our group of 6 moose hunted west of Thunder Bay  10-15 years ago at Arrow -Rose Lake , we drew 5 tags one year ....2 bull & 3 cow .

Our best hunt  produced  3 moose for 6 guys .  Those were the days ......( a few perch dinners too)   :Gonefishing::th_fudd:

Sounds like quite a hunt Smerch! Glad to hear you got to experience the good ole' days! 

7 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

Thats great glad to hear your group is good to go.Yes there are more areas out of luck and thats to bad 

Yep it's getting tougher each year, I just hope I'll be able to take my son one day.

32 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

Yes the way things are going with the government  playing around with our rights i'm hoping to be able to take my grandson hunting for any thing

That goes for fishing as well Gunner ....too many of my former spots for hunting and fishing have disappeared . 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

That goes for fishing as well Gunner ....too many of my former spots for hunting and fishing have disappeared . 

You are absolutely right smerchly a lot of fishing spots and hunting spots are going away but to be fair without siding with the government a lot of this is brought on by lawbreakers and people that just don't care we as hunters and fishermen need to wake up and protect what we have before it is all gone. i'm not saying it's all our fault . like for the moose tag drop it's a big mix bag on why they are doing what they are doing and for a good reason if things are let go there will be nothing left as things pick up seasons will be reopened again just like the spring bear hunt they dropped the spring hunt and as things got better it has  been reopened .All we can do is do our part and if something is not right we as Canadians must stand up and be heard and fight for our rights as hunters /fishermen .We have groups that fight for us all the time but they can't do it on their own. 

I belong to a large hunt camp in the Haliburton forest for both deer and moose and for the last several years we have been allotted 2 bulls and a cow tag.  I don't anticipate a change this year but who knows about the future.

We used to get tags with tags with a group of two and often get extra tags in the call-in in area 19 archery and now it is 9 to guarantee a tag. I don't think the MNR has a clue about the moose population because we still see moose and do well. The population might be down as we don't see as many moose as 20 years ago, but it's not as bad as the cuts suggest.

I hunt 12 a outta Upsala along the firesteel river and we haven't gotten a tag for three years now because we only have 6 guys .I'm applying individual this year.i might be done moose hunting in Ontario anyways cause my buddy just purchased a small house in newfoundland Unfortunately we have to go through a guide because he won't be living there enough to be considered a resident.5 years ago we ended up with 2 bull and 1 cow tag .we shot the two bulls in three days and on the fifth day we were shooting partridge and a cow and calf popped out on the trail in front of us .one guy was still in the truck and he jumped out and shot the cow after we had just talked about not wanting to get another moose and have too much meat and all that work to do again .6 guys had alot of meat and we paid a fortune in thunder Bay at the butchers not to mention the gas and the three hours each way .it was warm so we had to no choice.

I've never moose hunted before so I have some questions about what seems to me to be a crazy number of people for one bull moose tag. Why 12? Are moose numbers so low this is a must? And if so why are cows and calves hunted. I know north eastern Ontario has some of these high numbers of hunters for one tag but yet just a half hour from the Ontario boarder in Quebec it takes two out-of-province Hunters to obtain a bull tag price being around 350 each for the tag.  I also heard from the OFAH Twitter page that the ministry more or less blew off their opinion about the changes to the moose regs this year. Like I said I've never hunted for moose but I sure have eaten a bunch and would one day like to get one of my own. Just curious as to what everyone has to say.  After all of you don't ask you won't learn

It's complete b.s. .while I was up fishing there was moose every where .they got us by the short and curlys.if we don't apply or donate our tag money I should say we go to pool B and no chance at adult tag which most hunters won't even go if it's only for calf so population control and cutting down on number of hunters but if guys stop applying they'll eventually see the money lost .alot of businesses ,motels etc feel it too.i could see nockin it back to 5 guys per adult tag even 6 but groups of 12? Come on.my neighbor has hunted Quebec for a few years and last year they shot a cow and tracked it into another camp where they were told to turn around and walk the other way by a couple of French guys who loaded it up on their trailer and left shortly after .my neighbor is 72 years old and his partners not much younger so they did what they were told .came home with nothing after7 days hunting for a bull and cow.

On 4/18/2018 at 8:41 AM, verado said:

I belong to a large hunt camp in the Haliburton forest for both deer and moose and for the last several years we have been allotted 2 bulls and a cow tag.  I don't anticipate a change this year but who knows about the future.

Sounds a lot like the hunt camp I go to :)

Archived