Worms Across the Border

smerchly

I met an elderly couple here at the park a few days ago ....helped them get their large  pontoon boat tied at the dock . They drove their bus style motor home & pontoon boat for 10 hours from Pennsylvania . At the border he declared he had some fishing worms he bought at home . The guy told him to take the worms back to where he got them !  ???    I would have dumped them in the nearest spot I could pull over .  I didn't know worms were not allowed to cross borders ......soil contamination ??  I think there are much larger things to worry about ......They are heading back to the border tomorrow ....hope those walleye fillets make it across ......

7 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

You'd think a worm is a worm, yes as you say Smerch, taking canadian Walleye might contaminate US table fair:D

I'd think they'd have more important things they should worry about.

Like guns , dope and live fish......

That could be the reasoning , but look at the tons of agricultural products we import from the U.S .  ....or transport trucks bringing in dirt from their tires or cargo area .  One guy who comes here every year  brings hundreds of worms from New York for his month long stay here, never had a problem at the border ....sometimes better to not say anything ....much cheaper to buy in NY .and not get gouged with the tax . ( like here at the reserve)  

Soil contaminants are a biggy with CFIA.  If I visit a farm in the US, I'm not allowed to visit a Canadian farm for 7 days.  Flower bulbs must be sanitized before we can get them into Canada. Potted plants must use soiless potting mix.

51 minutes ago, bigugli said:

Soil contaminants are a biggy with CFIA.  If I visit a farm in the US, I'm not allowed to visit a Canadian farm for 7 days.  Flower bulbs must be sanitized before we can get them into Canada. Potted plants must use soiless potting mix.

Seems a  little over done Bruce ....The U.S. can use pesticides that we can't and  I think high s.w. winds could easily blow air born soil across borders . 

Canada & the USA are one big land mass with no definite border barriers in much of it . Birds, insects ,etc. don't know there's a regulated border to cross and can bring in disease .....   Here at camp Grenada we can't bring firewood from home  ( bugs)  . Most here buy a truck load from the Mohawk Reserve .

Looks like a very complicated issue to me....I think I can bring minnows here from Peters .....

Being involved for years in a conservation club...many moons ago....there are alot of issues with that......its all how " invasive species" starts.......you can't bring baitfish from one body of water to another that's not connected.....so.......lol.one country to another is a whole different ball game.....although I was heavily involved in a fish stocking project....also a " put and take" stocking of recreational fowl.....there where other members heavily involved in the "flora "....side of things as well..and how many plants have also destroyed our echo system....bottom line is....if it didn't come from here....its not supposed to be here..........!@@@@.....make sure those worms get vaccinated before they go to school 🤪

1 hour ago, chromecrazy said:

I read similar things about soil contamination. Apparently you can bring worms as long as they are packed in bedding. However does anyone know about maggots or wax worms packed in sawdust???

Probably not .....and I wonder if we can bring a fish we caught on the U.S. side of the river back to Canadada..... Geesh ...some people are more polluted ....they might use our toilets with  American food and pollute the river , especially when we let a crap load of raw sewage enter the "Maid of the Mist" side for all the tourists to enjoy ....  :wacko:    Sometimes , me thinks they over do things .....there are much bigger fish to clean .....and don't look up....:tease:

.....we need to concentrate on things like this ....

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9543363-scientists-on-high-alert-as-green-menace-threatens-lake-erie/

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I bring fish(dead) back to Canada all the time with no hassle. 

I  shopped at Tops years ago ...got my cheap beer , cheese and brought back catfish (also dead)  fillets , cajun style ...yum .   B)

Wax worms ....try any tackle shops (phone call)

It's the soil that's the issue.  Soil and Plant material can't easily cross borders in either direction and anything imported needs permits and inspections by CFIA on the Canadian side.  There's many reasons for this including pests and disease.  Same reason you see all the signs going into the states about fruit not allowed to be entering.  It is what it is but just like invasive carp in the lakes there are things that can wipe out our agriculture or impact our environment considerably if they entered.   Political boundaries do try to contain problems as much as possible since it is humans who bring most of the diseases and the invasives - not the birds and bees.

We buy so much produce from around the globe I don't know how they keep track of it .  We have many products grown here ....like honey , but we import some from China ?  We get some fruit from South Africa  or beef from Australia .....it's no wonder we have invasive species that can wipe out our fisheries , or our trees . etc.  and world travel these days is very common,  inviting the spread of many diseases.....

Yup, international travel and trade has its consequences.  I was talking to a plant pathologist from NZ and  they stop ships in the water not in the harbours for biosecurity purposes and if they find even one insect that doesn't belong they send the entire ship back.  Imagine having a container with your home belongings coming from across the world or a company needing their shipment and it goes back across the ocean?  Serious stuff.

1 hour ago, duck&wine said:

Yup, international travel and trade has its consequences.  I was talking to a plant pathologist from NZ and  they stop ships in the water not in the harbours for biosecurity purposes and if they find even one insect that doesn't belong they send the entire ship back.  Imagine having a container with your home belongings coming from across the world or a company needing their shipment and it goes back across the ocean?  Serious stuff.

Unbelievable duck !!!  Insects can hide in so many nooks and crannies anywhere .  While the world leaders talk about "saving the planet" we would waste tons of fuel after finding an ant aboard a ship ??  ( think massive Chinese container ships )  ....

Those massive container ships are likely where the things like the Emerald Ash borer came in on wood from Asia in the early '90s.   Now billions of ash trees are gone.   It is difficult to save the planet when there is a global economy driving everything.  Invasive species are going to continue to exist and get worse.  There is always another new pest or disease on the horizon.  In many ways it is better not to think about it and just go fishing and enjoy what we have right now!

I heard a few months back at a grocery store in hamilton that an employee got bit by a small black widow spider carrying boxes or containers of fruit of somekind .there was 2 found in one shipment apparently both black widows.scary to think how easy things like that make it here .

11 hours ago, fishingking said:

scary to think how easy things like that make it here .

Or how easy it is to steal a  BMW and ship it to  Timbucktoo  . Global trade is here to stay . The global companies don't have allegiance to any country as they want billion dollar profits .  We can probably order dew worms via Amazon right to our front door ( just mark the insulated package " fishing lures"   :Gonefishing:

Archived