Welland R.fishing

smerchly

Nice day on the river! Was out with my two sons (shore fishing) yesterday...got a few Channel cats, a drum, a silver bass and a bullhead. Never know what will bite next! Been meaning to drop our canoe in there but those boats speeding by all of the time have me very hesitant to do.

Nice day on the river! Was out with my two sons (shore fishing) yesterday...got a few Channel cats, a drum, a silver bass and a bullhead. Never know what will bite next! Been meaning to drop our canoe in there but those boats speeding by all of the time have me very hesitant to do.

Most of the boaters there will slow right down to a crawl and show respect other small craft . We only encountered one large inboard/outboard who slowed down & we sent a thank you wave to them . If everyone did this there would be no problem for the small boats , yaks or canoes . We never got any silvers but we caught a few white perch, one being about 12" . They are worm stealers , like gobies , hard to hook the small ones . We also got a few channel cats that went about 3 ounces lol

Hey Knightfisher do you have a sportspal canoe and take a dog with you when your alone?

Yes, the sportspal is a great canoe for fishing. The dog enjoys getting out as well,

when I make those spur of the moment decisions to get on the water.

that is because ownership of the canal was transferred to the city of welland and they made the decision because of liability issues

Speeding boats said to be erroding the shore line had nothing to do with it ????? You didn't do your homework.

Start complaing about the boats in the river and dictating as to what you would like to see there and soon motorized boats will be banned there also. Let sleeping dogs lie. If the people living there aren't complainong neither should we.

I have lived on the river for decades and would love a HP max or no wake zone along this entire western river portion

last year I was almost killed by a jet boat in a near collision

i see parents pulling their children on waterskies in water that is 6 feet deep and full of deadheads SOMEONE IS GOING TO BE KILLED OR HORRIBLY HURT SOME DAY!

yes, my shoreline and my neighbours' is being destroyed by boat wakes

and finally.... MOST BOATS DO NOT SLOW DOWN FOR YOU NOR DO JET SKIS..... It is rare for me to encounter a boat that will slow down as they pass, very rare, most whip right by and i ponder how many of them have a watercraft operator's card (as much of a joke as that card is, but hey).

I have lived on the river for decades and would love a HP max or no wake zone along this entire western river portion

last year I was almost killed by a jet boat in a near collision

i see parents pulling their children on waterskies in water that is 6 feet deep and full of deadheads SOMEONE IS GOING TO BE KILLED OR HORRIBLY HURT SOME DAY!

yes, my shoreline and my neighbours' is being destroyed by boat wakes

and finally.... MOST BOATS DO NOT SLOW DOWN FOR YOU NOR DO JET SKIS..... It is rare for me to encounter a boat that will slow down as they pass, very rare, most whip right by and i ponder how many of them have a watercraft operator's card (as much of a joke as that card is, but hey).

You have every right to complain but if you want something done go and complain where it will do some good.

Kind of a common complaint anywhere you go...marinas have the problem as well. Land owners banks being eroded also on the list. Policing of the waterways and hefty fines is really the only solution. Just like our CO's , there simply is not enough on duty. I agree, the boating card is a joke....another cash grab like drive clean. There is a loss of respect in this world...simple as that. You see it every day with the garbage on the shorelines, the careless boaters, and wreckless drivers on the road. I don't disagree that when people complain about these issues, it often ruins things for the people that abide by the rules...and if that happens to be taking away a fishing spot, or shutting down a waterway to motor boats, or installing red light cameras.....well so be it. You reap what you sew....just too bad that the abiding people take the loss as is always the case. You can debate that until the cows come home...nothing will change until you and others call for change.

Thanks for the great report Smerchly,

I have never fished on the Welland River and would like to spend some time with my son exploring it,

I am trying to figure out where to start. I have found 3 places that I could launch from.

E.C Brown Park on River Rd near the Airport

Chipawa Creek Conservation (I have a seasons Pass)

Across from Merritt Island on River Rd

I would greatly appreciate it if you could point us in the right direction.

Not looking to target any single species, A mixed bag would make for a great day.

Thanks

Cam

As Drifter said just get on the river and start. There is fish all through out the river. Just have to find them. As any body of water, there are days you get into them and day you spend just washing lures.

I'm hoping to get out Sunday.

Good luck.

I grew up in Port Robinson and it is easier to list the types of Ontario game fish I have not caught than the types of Ontario game fish I have caught.........brown trout, Atlantic salmon, and sturgeon simple as that. It is prolific body of water that needs to be taken care of for the enjoyment of all. Years ago the MNR didn't believe my father as to the number of species being caught in this river. They subsequently asked him to provide them with samples so they could perform toxicology testing. I was amazed at the time as to the wide variety of fish he caught for them. They gave him a letter of thanks as a result.

Even a max hp size of motor would be a good start for the river portion west of the canal.

Let's not forget about the east side of the canal in town too. Boats will fly up river towards the aquaduct, take the corner before the bridge in a 180 and roar back down river. "Ah man! I gotta cast again". If restrictions get created with conservation authorities let's include east river and post restrictions at the boat launch on River Rd.

Archived