Welland R.fishing

smerchly

I got an invite from Knightfisher to fish the river today , fishing from Dan's canoe . The bite was slow at first but improved as we changed up our colours ,,,,,,an expertise, lol........doing some trolling & drifting using worm harnesses . The nice thing about the river is there's a great variety of fish , you never know what the next fish might be .....as we found out . ........a few pics of our day .....

some nice clean looking channel cats in there.....

DSCN3334.JPG

small walleye , a good scrapper

DSCN3332.JPG

feisty little pike....

DSCN3330.JPG

nice clean brown bullhead ....

DSCN3328.JPG

Dan's nice channel cat....

SAM_3296.JPG

a little surprise , a bowfin !

SAM_3297.JPG

Great day on the water ! :Gonefishing:

Damn! You're making me jealous. LOL. Looks like lots of fun. Glad you guys landed some :)

Wow, a Welland River Walleye!, I thought it was myth lol. Is it strictly release for the walleye in the river though, as some sort of program to increase pop?

Wow, a Welland River Walleye!, I thought it was myth lol. Is it strictly release for the walleye in the river though, as some sort of program to increase pop?

While not an "official policy" persay the Port Colborne and District Conservation Club and Fort Erie Conservation Club that brought walleye to the Welland River thru their great stocking efforts using Grand River eggs, like to hear that Welland River walleyes are released to live and spawn. This year was the last year for now for stocking in the western Welland River, the programme will continue on eastern sections.

.... besides, with the Hamilton Airport fire retardant now showing up in the flesh of all fish, turtles, frogs in the Welland River (the ministry regs have been updated as a result), DO NOT EAT ANYTHING FROM THE RIVER or use your own discretion.

Please go barbless on this unofficial "barbless river".

All fish were released in good spirits including the white & yellow perch caught . (no crappies) We saw some young lads fishing with floats , catching a few smallies & drums . Like I said a real mixed bag of fish in the river . What I do not like about the river is the large powerful boats that fly down there creating huge wakes which is detrimental to the wildlife and land erosion and fish/habitat . I have shore fished there for many years and did very well bottom fishing with live bait .......some big carp in there as well .

It was a great day on the river. Weather was nice.

The water was stained enough where we did not

know what we had on till it was at the canoe.

Surprising fight for the size of some of the fish.

What amazed me was how fast the time went.

But that seems to happen when your having a good time.

:Gonefishing:

All fish were released in good spirits including the white & yellow perch caught . (no crappies) We saw some young lads fishing with floats , catching a few smallies & drums . Like I said a real mixed bag of fish in the river . What I do not like about the river is the large powerful boats that fly down there creating huge wakes which is detrimental to the wildlife and land erosion and fish/habitat . I have shore fished there for many years and did very well bottom fishing with live bait .......some big carp in there as well .

Bang on! The river is getting ripped apart by boaters who DO NOT HAVE A CLUE THE DAMAGE THEIR WAKES ARE DOING. The closure of the Rec Canal to power boats and flippin jet skis has created a problem on the river where I swear someone will be killed or seriously injured hitting a deadhead. Most of the river is 6-8 feet deep, boaters!!!!! You live between two massive Great Lakes --- USE THEM!!!!!

@Smerchly: Its interesting that you say small Walleye. I spent a week up north in pembroke with my family, who eat walleye on a regular basis because of the HUGE population of them. They're contributors to a program that states that a keeping fish (walleye) is from i believe it was 13-18 inches. Any smaller and its a "baby" and any bigger was still a breeding fish, though i have not heard of anything like that around here mainly probably because of the lower amounts of walleye. Have you heard of anything like that before?

@Smerchly: Its interesting that you say small Walleye. I spent a week up north in pembroke with my family, who eat walleye on a regular basis because of the HUGE population of them. They're contributors to a program that states that a keeping fish (walleye) is from i believe it was 13-18 inches. Any smaller and its a "baby" and any bigger was still a breeding fish, though i have not heard of anything like that around here mainly probably because of the lower amounts of walleye. Have you heard of anything like that before?

Yes YB .....we have slot sizes for various fish . The MNR has determined that it's best to eat the smaller walleye up to 18" and allow a keeper over 25" for either eating or mounting , except in the Great Lakes where there is no size restrictions . This idea seems to be working so I have no problem with it if it helps sustain the populations. The Bay of Quinte which is a part of L.Ont. has it's own slot size on walleye which is more lenient ..., 4 fish limit , keep up to 25" with one being over 25" if desired. (they use metric numbers so use a metric tape)

Jitterbob.....I would like to see a no wake zone established there . Those big props are running close to the bottom ,especially when the water is lower . I believe that makes the fish very vulnerable to being injured or killed as well as reeking havoc among all the creatures , from reptiles to birds that dwell there .

Start complaing about the boats in the river and dictating as to what you would like to see there and soon motorized boats will be banned there also. Let sleeping dogs lie. If the people living there aren't complainong neither should we.

It would have to go up the chain and sit on the desk of Environment Canada or MNR before anything happens.

Do you really believe that? Environment Canada and MNR had nothing to do wirh banning motorized boats in the Welland Canal.

It would have to go up the chain and sit on the desk of Environment Canada or MNR before anything happens.

Unless someone gets hurt or killed there .It's a narrow river and basically a free for all . We don't need to ban any boats at all , just have a no wake placed on it . I'm sure some of the people with their small boats tied up at their docks would agree . I'm more concerned about wild life than some boaters trying to impress others with their big boats etc.

Hey nice mixed bag there guys...everything but the kitchen sink id say. One fish I have never caught is a bowfin...mostly because I don't target them. Cool looking fish, thanks for the great report.

Hey nice mixed bag there guys...everything but the kitchen sink id say. One fish I have never caught is a bowfin...mostly because I don't target them. Cool looking fish, thanks for the great report.

Dave , we don't target them either but they will hit most anything you throw at them . When I was a teen , a few years back , we used a Mepps with a piece of worm at CDP , tossing it close to the lily pads , and the dog fish would slam them hard . They will take a live minnow anytime , using floats or bottom fishing .

Great day guys, wow! Do bowfin change colour? Ive only.seen them in black.

All the bowfin I have caught were green. And when spawning the ones I have caught had bright green fins with a red dot on the tail. I suppose the water they are in dictate the colour.

The bowfin is actually a prehistoric fish from the Jurassic period, over a million years ago. I caught one that was 8 lbs and it fought harder than any pike I have ever caught. Always a pleasure when I get one, which is not to often.

All the bowfin I have caught were green. And when spawning the ones I have caught had bright green fins with a red dot on the tail. I suppose the water they are in dictate the colour.

The bowfin is actually a prehistoric fish from the Jurassic period, over a million years ago. I caught one that was 8 lbs and it fought harder than any pike I have ever caught. Always a pleasure when I get one, which is not to often.

I know that when bowfin spawn they change colours, and some look really cool.... Not sure when they spawn tho

Archived