Lake Erie Bass

Dan Andrews

My wife and I headed out in the kayaks despite the strong east winds and rain. Unlike every other day that isn't opener we couldn't see bottom or the hoards of fish following our kayaks. You could barely make out the shallow Boulder areas. We managed to find some yakable water on the west side of a reef.

After working hard for my first strike I finally had a small airborne bass behind me. By the time I fought the wind enough to face my battle it was over. Two more of those and we were both frustrated. I had 3 on but lost them all and she didn't even have a strike yet. She changed lures so now we both had the same kayak and lure.

I mentioned to her that there must be some algae on her wriggler because her rod tip wasn't bending or shaking at all but she checked and it was fine. Suddenly she had a fish on and unlike me she took care of it quick. One for the live well. I unhooked it for her but never noticed anything unusual until later. I got one quick bass and released it but the wind and rain were really hampering us now so time to go in and cook.

I get to shore and start to unload only to see this!

image.jpg1_1.jpg

Cooking bass to me is just wrong.. Bass taste like a$$. Cook a brookie see the differance :). Bass are a pretty good sport fish though.Just refrain from eating them yuck

Slow cook a bass in garlic and when its done...pull it out and eat your shoe...lol Too each his own. Might have to try that wiggler setup though..hahah

Cook a brookie and see the difference?????...what is wrong with catching a bass and eating it???..eating fish is good for you...some people don't have that almighty brookie spot like you cliff..(although I suspect Dan can catch brookies)...instead of the negative post about how bass taste like a$$ and cooking bass is just wrong..how about you congratulate them on keeping with it to score some fish for the table instead of a useless post about how their catch doesn't match up to the almighty brookie......thanks for the post Dan...glad you kept with it and got a meal out it for your effort....even if it wasn't a brookie..geesh... heaven forbid it's a bass

Pudge.. It was only my opinion on eating them. Some love eating bass..see my humor in it and stop being so serious.Dan knows i am messing with him. Bass is a great sport fish.

Small bass are tasty...fried!

Don't soak your fish, it draws out the natural oils. You also don't need to marinate fish. Catch, dress and cook...that's it. You can season fish after they cook with sauces, oils, chutney, salsa...whatever. But don't ruin fish by soaking them. A quick dip before cooking is fine, especially if using a coating. I prefer a buttermilk dip, before a homemade coating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttermilk

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-quick-easy-buttermilk-substitute-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-185757 (I use cider vinegar and a touch of lemon for my buttermilk - nicer flavor)

Sorry to hijack the thread...but I couldn't let bad cooking habits to be formed.

Everyone's palate is different, catch and eat what tastes good to you, the rest release to swim and fight another day.

It must be a rainy weekend if we are debating the taste and recipes for smallmouth bass!

The wife and 3 little ones and I had a great fry up with my limit of 6 smallies. I just use the beer and garlic fish crisp and everyone goes crazy for it. I know there are people that grab the bass fillets over the perch or walleye

gotta say for 20 years my fishing friends ,neibours and family 'usually 20 or so of us have a fish fry at my place of opening day bass from Long Point bay . The fish are pan fried and beer battered and there has never been any left over or any refusals or complaints . Early season or deep water bass are delicious. Dave :bravo:

The WB Brigade eat plenty of bass . I've seen many buckets full of smallies ( and largemouth ). Other cultures cook them different ways ....same thing with carp . Some fish taste "fishier" than others , like the white bass (perch) . By removing the greasy fatty tissue that runs along the lateral line , much of that fishy taste can be removed . Some shallow water spots get very warm and some are muddier than others , like the Welland river and the bass & other fish may not be very tasty at all ...... The haddock I ate last week was great ! :D

Pudge.. It was only my opinion on eating them. Some love eating bass..see my humor in it and stop being so serious.Dan knows i am messing with him. Bass is a great sport fis

i missed the opener on erie this wknd due to the winds/rain.we usually have a feed of bass on opening day and they taste great! We hit the N.river yesterday and did well with the smallies and didnt get wet! We released them though as it is the niagara river eeewwww! Picked up a monster lamb as well.

I think its all in the way you cook them!(the bass not the sheephead!)

FF

Soaking the fish takes out the blood taste u get from erie bass. Learned that from my grandfather who's grandfather taught him that lol guess old habit's die hard

Guys, growing up my father use to tell me not to keep the bigger ones. Two reasons, big spawners and they have a fishy taste. Well, any fish that I clean I take out the middle "mud line", "muscle line" "lateral line" what ever you want to call it..... lol I shouldn't say any fish, cause I don't do it with perch. Bass and walleye I do. What a difference, I remember a few years back when my father was watching me clean some mature bass and then we had a fish fry later that evening for the family. He couldn't believe how great they were. Another thing, if I know I'm going to harvest a fish, I bleed them out right away, makes cleaning a lot cleaner and less blood in the fillet. Especially walleye, talk about clean white fillets. Best of luck to all!

When you take the skin off the fillet, flip the fillet over and you can see the dark like going down the centre of the fillet. Just cut that strip out, the smaller bass you don't really need to. But anything over 2.5 pounds I do? Actually haven't caught many under 2lbs this year. Lake Erie fishery has never been this good, for all species. Except the damn Cormarants good lord. Good luck!

always want to know how to " clean I take out the middle "mud line", "muscle line" "lateral line"" :wall:

Here's the whole ball of wax from cleaning to final resting place , using a "white bass" which has a prominent "mud line"...... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcb3dYWiXcs

Archived