late report

rbrwrm

fished Monday out of cb  ,what a fantastic day weather wise and fishing, got on the water about 11:30 with 2 scoops from Dominion .straight out to 60 fow to a waypoint I have but nothing there so moved about a third of a mile east to a group of boats and they were on fish

and I started catching but my partner wasn't and after a while and a dozen fish reallised all my fish were being caught on a gold hook and john didn't want to change and it stayed 5 or 6 to 1 all afternoon all big fish with one that must have gone 2 pounds ended up with 46 big perch

'great way to end the season, time to put the boat away    Dave

Fishing is a strange thing. I have sat in a small ice hut with holes in each corner and all the fish came out of the same hole even though the others were all within 6 feet of it. My Dad and uncle for years fished Algonquin Park for the opening of trout season. They both used wire lines and big 606 Dominion Canoe baits. My uncle constantly outfished my Dad and he claimed it was because he always handled the motor, a cantankerous 3hp Johnson, and he always had the smell of gas on his hands.

3 hours ago, verado said:

Fishing is a strange thing. I have sat in a small ice hut with holes in each corner and all the fish came out of the same hole even though the others were all within 6 feet of it. My Dad and uncle for years fished Algonquin Park for the opening of trout season. They both used wire lines and big 606 Dominion Canoe baits. My uncle constantly outfished my Dad and he claimed it was because he always handled the motor, a cantankerous 3hp Johnson, and he always had the smell of gas on his hands.

That is an absolutely true fact. 
There is a book called “The Scientific Angler” which goes in detail about which smells are positive or negative from a fish perspective. 

Here is a quote from my friends at Saltstrong:

Below is the list of negative, neutral, and positive smell tracks from the book, The Scientific Angler, by Paul Johnson.

Negative:

• L-serine (human skin oil)
  • Nicotine
  • Petroleum and derivatives, including gas and motor oil
  • Suntan lotions
  • Bug repellents
  • Chemical plasticizers added to soften plastics
  • Perfumed soaps

Neutral:

• Alcoholic beverages
  • Anise oil
  • Natural vegetation (grass, leaves)
  • Human urine
  • Chlorinated water and treated septic water
  • Soda pop and fruit juices
  • Nonperfumed soap and biodegradable detergents

Positive:

• Fish extracts, including herring oil
  • Baitfish guts
  • Fish slime*
  • Natural bait (including juices from worms, frogs, crawdads, leeches, and maggots)
  • Milk and some dairy products such as cheese
  • Human saliva

*Fish slime can also become a negative deterrent if the slime originates from a species offensive to the target fish. E.g. the slime of a northern pike is a deterrent to many species.

7 minutes ago, RJR said:

I didn't see bananas in the negative list, maybe it has not been scientifically proven?  

I haven't taken a banana with me in weeks and the fish still avoid me ....but I do eat one almost every day , must be my breath !! 

WD40 is supposed to have fish oils in it ?  Maybe the oil is from pike ?  lol

I think most bottom feeders have more sensitive scent capabilities (carp , cats ) while pike , bass , crappies , etc. go for moving "objects"  .  As a teen we used grasshoppers to catch trout , don't know if it was the scent juice , sight or just because they were feeding on them as many hoppers hopped into the moving stream ....

2 hours ago, RJR said:

I didn't see bananas in the negative list, maybe it has not been scientifically proven?  

Haha.  

I believe the no bananas on the boat theory is a bad luck superstition thing more related to dying than fishing. 

I really do not have any superstitions .  ...Black  cats  , breaking a mirror , walking under ladders , super beings , good or bad luck , etc etc .

Good fishing !    :Gonefishing:   .....

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I really do not have any superstitions .  ...Black  cats  , breaking a mirror , walking under ladders , super beings , good or bad luck , etc etc .

Good fishing !    :Gonefishing:   .....

I don't believe these or bananas. I'm sure it was just coincidence you got the white stripe eating your banana on our last outing in the Pal 🍌 😎

58 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

I don't believe these or bananas. I'm sure it was just coincidence you got the white stripe eating your banana on our last outing in the Pal 🍌 😎

That banana was for you !   haha   So you proved the theory wrong .....   :th_fudd:........   🍌

On 11/15/2020 at 12:40 PM, deetch said:

I remember back in the day spraying lures with wd40 and trolling for salmon. I guess there was so many fish back than they hit anything!

that absolutely worked, and kept spoons nice and shiny too...lol. 

Archived