April 1 st !

smerchly

Cold , wet , windy ,  snow , covid shutdown announced for 4 weeks , what could go wrong ?   :wacko:

Got a message from my daughter who lives south of Trenton in Consecon  .....she plucked a tick from her little dog today !  

So now we have to watch out for ticks and the covid bug to start the month of April !    Just a heads up , the ticks may be bad this year ....

6 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Cold , wet , windy ,  snow , covid shutdown announced for 4 weeks , what could go wrong ?   :wacko:

Got a message from my daughter who lives south of Trenton in Consecon  .....she plucked a tick from her little dog today !  

So now we have to watch out for ticks and the covid bug to start the month of April !    Just a heads up , the ticks may be bad this year ....

Not to worry on the weather Smerch, I just found out that my boat is stuck in storage until May 1st due as they put it at the back of storage building rather than front like they were supposed too, so April is bound to be a stellar month!  Argh!

Ticks are scary critters, knock on wood ,the Ultra Shield has kept them at bay so far. With turkey season fast approaching will be putting it to the test soon. I think I would sooner take my chances coming down with COVID than Lyme disease.  

17 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

I think I would sooner take my chances coming down with COVID than Lyme disease.  

I just said that to my wife !   Lyme is far deadlier and hard to diagnose .  I have not hunted small small game for many years . I remember looking for lice when plucking ducks ,geese ,pheasants ,etc.but didn't see anything to be concerned about ...

Now we have turkeys , so ,do they carry ticks or lice ? We have squirrels all over the hood ( cut my apple tree down but there's a walnut tree next door) . Last year a tick dropped out of an overhanging limb on a huge maple next door & landed on my arm !  It probably came from a squirrel or one of the many birds that sit in the tree .  

Bugs bug me !   :angry:

3 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I just said that to my wife !   Lyme is far deadlier and hard to diagnose .  I have not hunted small small game for many years . I remember looking for lice when plucking ducks ,geese ,pheasants ,etc.but didn't see anything to be concerned about ...

Now we have turkeys , so ,do they carry ticks or lice ? We have squirrels all over the hood ( cut my apple tree down but there's a walnut tree next door) . Last year a tick dropped out of an overhanging limb on a huge maple next door & landed on my arm !  It probably came from a squirrel or one of the many birds that sit in the tree .  

Bugs bug me !   :angry:

Supposedly the ticks got here catching rides on waterfowl which is why the started and are worse along the north shore of Lake Erie. I believe that Deer are their primary hosts not sure about tree rats but wouldn’t be surprised. They definitely creep you out when you find one. My godson is an avid hunter and must have dragged one home with him and it ended up on his moms leg, she didn’t notice it until it was embedded and fully engorged. It didn’t go over well!  

Turkey hunting is the worst as you usually sit right on the ground usually tucked into some brush so lots of opportunity for them the crawl on you. 

A buddy of mine’s property was infested with them, if you walked across his yard you were guaranteed to get a couple on you.  He ended up burning all the long grass around his pond and out buildings then sprayed his whole place with some  nasty stuff he got from a farmer buddy that wiped them out. 

Yes , I think the deer are responsible for most ticks locally , like the 12 Mile creek valley which have a lot of deer .  I was thinking about ticks 2 nights ago when my dog was barking at a big possum in the neighbours yard . They eat ticks so I'm glad to see them ....don't know where they spend the day hours around this hood .....

And yes , they creep me out  !

Oh man, I can handle most bugs but ticks are something I do not mess around with... I’ll avoid some fishing spots in the summer just because of the hike to get to it because of them. 

I remember years ago, one time I was hiking to a fishing spot and got my rod caught in a tree shook it out and when I got home had several ticks all in my back and shoulders. I can only assume they were from the tree...

If your find the black legged tick on your body and it has been there a while the tick must be tested if possible . 

The meds they use have so many bad side effects ,  that mimic the late stages of Lymes .....NOT NICE ! 

So be vigilant and check closely for them , including the kids , etc. 

Scroll down to see the bad side effects of this drug .......unbelievable !

https://www.rxlist.com/consumer_doxycycline/drugs-condition.htm

Canada is actually really bad at testing and detecting/diagnosing Lyme when compared to the states. I’ve read about people who are told they don’t have lyme for quite some time and have to go to doctors in Florida to finally get diagnosed correctly, at a high price of course... 

it’s a shame too considering how many ticks there are in southern Ontario. 

2 hours ago, Ross said:

Canada is actually really bad at testing and detecting/diagnosing Lyme when compared to the states.

We are a rich country and should have better testing for lyme   . We had labs here for making vaccines but they got shut down ....I believe they are going to have a lab in Toronto soon ....hopefully they can do lyme checks.

I will be doing a body check later ...quite scary looking at that thing in the mirror....!

22 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Saw a possum on my neighbors garage and shone the flashlight on it and the eyes started to glow red...:o

That was probably a Tasmanian devil Dan , I have heard them down at the creek after dark......   :ninja:

Archived