proposed cull of cormorants

packrat

Unfortunately , because of human pop. growth , and urban expansion which clear cuts the trees & paves over the farmlands, wildlife habitat keeps on getting smaller . So we have to "manage" the wildlife populations and balance the birds, animals & reptiles so that one species doesn't overpower the other into extinction . That theory includes such wildlife from starlings to deer etc. We must remember , where your house now sits, there were at one time wild birds & animals living there..........

If the animals could speak they might reccomend a cull of the human population.

Again, we are forced towards certain seemingly harsh population controls due to a man made problem. We are the problem, not the birds.

Of course we could do nothing and push a few more species closer to extinction; another manmade problem with no easy solution.

"If the animals could speak they might reccomend a cull of the human population"

Surprising enough that was the gist of a reply that was made to this particular article.

Not surprising is that both groups mentioned have a web site---read at your leisure---draw your own conclusions

As said before, we created several problems over the years and there are no easy solutions. We, humankind, have thrown things permanently out of balance. End of story. The problem with the Environmental extremists on the left, or some of the gun toting extremists on the right, is that they all want a return of the good old days.

Here's the ugli reality. It ain't gonna happen. The passenger pigeon is gone. The blue pickerel is gone. They can never come back. Many of our fave fishing and hunting spots are now subdivisions. We can't turn back the clock. SO now we must learn to successfully manage the resources that remain. Some strategies are not pleasant, And no matter what is done somebody is bound to get pissy.

Take the extremists from both sides, lock them up in a big warehouse and let them beat each other senseless. That way, the people working on realistic solutions can get on with the tasks at hand.

One of the sites I believe quoted a figure of 10000 cormorants already have been culled.

News to me but that's not surprising either.

Dont know how the story got leaked out----maybe they should have just gone and done it as part of responsible management. Then let the doo doo fall where it will.

It wouldnt be exactly the first time the public is not made aware of what's going on until "after" the fact.

I added this comment to that site. Some of my point like the fish farms wer based on prior comments to my own.

It is ignorant to say let nature take it's coarse. We have interrupted nature and thrown it out of balance. When we mess it up, we must manage the consequences.

For those who say killing excessive populations is murder, your contribution to the imbalance and refusal to act while thousands of other species die as a consequence is a death sentence by pure ignorance.

As a hunter and one who participates in protection and rehabilitation of habitats, killing these birds and not being able to eat them gives me an horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I will however participate in the cull if given a chance because it's not the killing of one excessive population that should stand out here. It's the saving of many many others.

If it were your local neighborhood and these were rats or coyotes, surely for safety and heath sake you would understand the thinning of numbers. If you can't see past your own neighborhood and apply these standards into the wild community, you have no business adding your accusations.

If you haven't spent time outdoors watching the deer drinking from the poison water, watching certain slow growing species of fish be decimated in their nurseries and slow growing Carolinian trees shrivel and recede, then do so. Then come back and explain your murder theory! Cormorants need managing thanks to all of us no matter what side you support.

Also it doesn't matter where the populations come from weather it be here or fish farms in the States. Watching these birds destroy "our" wild kingdom is criminal. Lobby the fish farms if that science proves valid but please don't ask us to patiently watch our environment and biodiversity shrivel until a long term solution is found. manage the birds!

When the numbers get out of hand, regardless of the reason

something has to be done.

Down at Green Ribbon Trail, the eggs of geese were oiled to

control the population, this was a few years back. Don't know

if it's still being done, but I suppose it was required.

The shooting of birds sounds harsh, compared to oiling.

It's just a matter of facing the situation at hand logically.

Gets me so upset.

Sharon Hill, Windsor Star

Published: Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The public had an April 7 deadline to comment on a draft report on the proposed cormorant cull on Middle Island, even through the draft report isn't yet available...The cormorant defenders, who are opposed to the cull, are concerned about the amount of time for public comment. The deadline posted online this week was April 7... Parks Canada says that deadline will be changed. White said she'd like more time -about a month - for comments once the draft environmental screening report is posted. She questions the rush for a cull since the number of nests dropped last year.

Parks Canada is proposing to shoot double-crested cormorants on Middle Island for five years beginning as early as April. The agency posted a notice of commencement of an environmental assessment March 6 on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency's website. http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/index_e.htm

Cormorant Defenders International is a group that says it celebrates cormorants and other fish-eating birds. It is made up of 11 groups including the Animal Alliance of Canada based in Toronto. White is a staff member and one of the directors at Animal Alliance of Canada.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To lighten my mood: How to Cook your Cormorant

'Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from the body ..these birds are extremely verminous and the lice are said not to be host specific. Hang up by the feet with wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This removes the feathers and the lice. When the smoke has cleared cut off the beak. Bury the carcass in a light sandy machair type soil for a fortnight. This is said to remove the taste of rotting fish. Dig up the bird, skin and draw it. Place in a strong solution of salt and water for 48 hours. Remove, dry and stuff the bird with whole unpeeled onions..the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat from black to dark brown.

Simmer gently in seawater - to which 2 tsbs of chloride of lime have been added - for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Meanwhile mix up a thick paste of methylated spirit and curry powder spreading the mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally roast in a hot oven for three hours.'

Jamie Oliver's company are one of three fighting for the film rights to the book containing this and other recipes.

I would like to see the cull stopped. No killing at all.

I say..if a cull of any sort on any species of animal is in order, and studies have proven it to be needed, through poplulation/demographic surveys, biologists and the MNRworking together to check the general health of whatever animals are in question, and the impacts said animals are having on other species of animals that share the same small part of the ecosystem in the area, what kind of environmental impacts are issues inb theareas in question to the water supply, plantlife..ect..then if in fact they deem a cull needed...they should not pussy foot around about it...don't make it a public awareness thing or anyhting..just go right in on the QT and do what needs to be dome that's it period the end.

I know this sounds kind of harsh up front..but I am a conservationist, one who loves nature, am also on the executive commity for a conservation club, and sometimes it may not be the solution the public is looking for as a whole..but it is needed to keep the natural balance of things in areas, and in turn is actually a valuable conservation effort both for the species in question to sustain viable healthy populatioons of animals in an area, as well as the whole bio-diversity of the natural areas and animals that share the same space..it actually does make it healthier all around for all species of wildlife and plants that inhabit an area that is deemed for a cull of any sort.

• 1 month later...

I think that management most likely should take place in other areas to preserve the balance between human activities and these birds, but I don't understand why on Middle Island? Shouldn't a place mandated to preserve the natural ecology of the area be left to let nature take course. While maybe unprecedented in population size the cormorant is native to the area and effects the natural evolution of the island. I don't believe for one minute that there is a species of mammal, fish, insect, reptile, tree, etc. that is threatened on Middle Island because of these birds despite what some twists on the research says. There are no species found on the island that are not found somewhere else in North America (locally or further away). Trying to maintain a natural area in a static state is impossible.

Its a debate that will rage on, I'm sure. This bird has been under human persecution as long as the Europeans have been here and for this species it will go on and on.

Archived