fireflies

jwl

Just a silly observation and looking for a little insite

I have noticed a big lack of fireflies the last couple years, I wonder what the cause is or just a weird coincidence.

When I was a kid and used to go camping, if there where fireflies out, there would be loads of them along the brushline, lighting it up like crazy, so much that we could actually get a bunch of them in a jar just to goof around with.

This year at my trailer where there are usually alot of them around, I find it really strange that if I see any at all it is only like 1 or 2 flying around, so little of them in fact that everytime I see 1 or 2 I try to get my little Emily to come and check it out so she can see them and then it is gone :unsure::D

well glad to see I am not the only one who thinks so, I been talking to my wife about that a couple times this year.

JW.....I saw a few at Deseronto July 1st weekend . I think they are actually attracted to our camp fires , maybe think it's a huge firefly ! When I was about 14 I caught about 12 -15 of them & put them in a jar ....got a "charge" out of watching the room glow in the dark & if you tapped the jar they would freak & put on a sparking light show .....amazing little bugs ! If we can get the formula we can use it to make........glow sticks !!! :unsure:

The Decew area used to have lots according to Knightfisher. :unsure:

We still have a good number in our back yard this year. Actually had one

land on my hand two nights ago, trying to get our dog to notice the flashing :D

However I believe the amount of rain has really affected the numbers so far.

The Decew area is usually teeming with fireflies however the nights I notice

them have always been warm, dry nights.

If this wet weather lets up, hopefully the Decew area will be aglow again :blush:

Guest Rockfish

Saw lots of them in Cayuga at the Grand River last weekend when I was there with Uglyfish that can verify, so we weren't both just seeing things, :unsure: almost could have a lit a path for us in the dark. :D

The weather has had an impact this year.

More disturbing is the other reasons behind the firefly's decline. How much of the wild shrubbery , that is part of their habitat, has been cut down in the past decade. Then add in pesticides, and bug zappers and foggers.

Finally take a look in the mirror. We have our collective selves to blame.

Actually Bruce I think they've made a huge comeback since they DDT's from the seventies have started to lose effect. Along with birds of prey, mosquito's, cormorants and allot of songbirds, there has been quite an increase this last ten years. Evidence of the profound impact we can have to our surrounding environment while trying to control one link out of the chain.

Surely that sea of brick up the 400 has wiped out allot of good habitat, but in the areas where it still remains in tact, there is still nature to see. We just need to recognize it can't keep expanding forever.

my 2 cents

Actually Bruce I think they've made a huge comeback since they DDT's from the seventies have started to lose effect. Along with birds of prey, mosquito's, cormorants and allot of songbirds, there has been quite an increase this last ten years. Evidence of the profound impact we can have to our surrounding environment while trying to control one link out of the chain.

Surely that sea of brick up the 400 has wiped out allot of good habitat, but in the areas where it still remains in tact, there is still nature to see. We just need to recognize it can't keep expanding forever.

my 2 cents

A lot of people were trying to tell governments, 20 years back, that urban sprawl had to stop. Nobody listened then and only a few are listening now. There were some prime quiet streams and great birding fields from as far South as Hwy #7. You were allowed to gun hunt North of #7 up until about 1985? I think? It was a long while back. The same type of sprawl is taking place in Niagara as we speak. Look at the sprawl taking place in Welland, Grimsby, Smithville. Lincoln and Grimsby would love to double the urban boundary, but are hemmed in by the Greenbelt.

I've got fireflies in my yard because I have re-established some shrubs along the creek. They hide in the scrub and shrubbery during daylight. I stopped using pesticides some years back. No different than the loss of various species along the Welland or Niagara rivers. People remove wildwood and thickets and replace them with manicured lawns down to the waters edge. A few years later the wildlife disappears and everybody goes out looking for the scapegoat. Within the municipal boundaries, God forbid if you leave a patch of wild flowers standing. The conformity patrol will be hounding you right quick.

Guest canada

Not sure where you dudes are seeing a decline in fireflies, I think there's an increase this year, I've seen loads of them in the city where I never saw them before. The established areas have tons of them buzzing around this year aswell :Gonefishing::lol:

Just a silly observation and looking for a little insite

I have noticed a big lack of fireflies the last couple years, I wonder what the cause is or just a weird coincidence.

When I was a kid and used to go camping, if there where fireflies out, there would be loads of them along the brushline, lighting it up like crazy, so much that we could actually get a bunch of them in a jar just to goof around with.

This year at my trailer where there are usually alot of them around, I find it really strange that if I see any at all it is only like 1 or 2 flying around, so little of them in fact that everytime I see 1 or 2 I try to get my little Emily to come and check it out so she can see them and then it is gone :Gonefishing::D

Walking in the evening I have seen many fireflies this year. Insects seem to come in cycles from year to year depending on the weather, etc. What I have noticed is a decline in the praying mantis. As a youth I seem to remeber seeing them all the time. Now it is a very rare occasion that I do see one. Also the walking stick. I saw one a couple years ago but none since. I know they are stealthy, but seem a very rare find these days. The decrease in frogs is very evident. Certainly one factor is the loss of Habitat.

Whirlpool

Guest canada
Walking in the evening I have seen many fireflies this year. Insects seem to come in cycles from year to year depending on the weather, etc. What I have noticed is a decline in the praying mantis. As a youth I seem to remeber seeing them all the time. Now it is a very rare occasion that I do see one. Also the walking stick. I saw one a couple years ago but none since. I know they are stealthy, but seem a very rare find these days. The decrease in frogs is very evident. Certainly one factor is the loss of Habitat.

Whirlpool

Don't worry seen lots of praying mantis out in the fields this year aswell, there starting to come out now that summer has taken hold. The insects seem to be alittle behind this year aswell, I've noticed the seasons seem to arrive a couple of weeks later. eg: winter dosn't seem to take hold till January ,spring june, summer well into july and the fall not till late October :Gonefishing:........just seems to be a trend I've noticed

• 2 weeks later...

Was up north of Kingston in late july and have never seen MORE fireflies than than I saw there those nights camping. Seem to be a few less down here in London this year.

jjcanoe

Archived