Doug Draper

Dan Andrews

Well it appears Doug Draper has dove into the animal rights activist (ARA) movement head first. Last year he wrote a feelgood article about a Thorold hunt club that was releasing some of their ringneck pheasants in a sanctuary where they had previously planted habitat that would support a broad spectrum of wildlife. It was thought that if the pheasants hung around, they may better establish a sustaining population in the area. That way surrounding hunting areas may someday benefit and they could move away from put and take stocking efforts and utilize CFWIP money for other projects.

Well the next week an animal rights advocate by the name of Daniel K. Wilson wrote a letter condemning the hunters and falsely claimed they were hunting the birds within the sanctuary. In a later editorial Doug Draper quoted Mr Wilson for an article addressing animal rights. Why would Doug publish a quote from an ARA that dishonestly tore up one of Doug's articles. I suspected Doug may have just held the football to set up the kick for Dan so they could send hunters soaring through the end field posts of public perception.

I called Doug on it. I phoned him and pointed out Daniel's mistake and warned him to scrutinize what ARA's feed him. I said "Don't just take their word for it. Check the facts before printing what they tell you because they have a habit of twisting words and misleading the public". Doug became emotional. It was a familiar tone I hear from ARA's all the time. He started blathering on about how animal abusers turn into child abusers etc. I informed him how ARA's use animal abuse to call for laws that will infringe on hunters and property owners rights but Doug was so upset he wouldn't listen. He wouldn't have any talk about mistrust for the animal rights movement.

I explained that the reason for my call was to discuss my rebuttal to his editorial about animal rights and why shouldn't just take the word of an ARA like Daniel K Wilson without fact checking first. He angrily ended the phone call with "WELL GOOD FOR YOU, YOU WROTE A LETTER! GOODBYE". The letter obviously never made it to print as Mr Draper works in the editorial/opinion department. A department that seems to be getting more animal sympathetic in every towns publication so the argument is becoming ever so one sided with time.

For a quick read of the facts only without all the emotional sensationalism, just read the blue. Things that worry me coming from ARA's are in red. To get the message Doug wants you to hear, read the whole thing.

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/printarticle/228831

Convicted animal abusers should get stiff jail terms

Doug Draper, Reporter's View

Published on Jan 02, 2009

The thermometer on my dashboard registered an outdoor temperature of -8 C as I parked my van near St. Catharines' Montebello Park a week ago this past Monday. It seemed even colder up in the park's pavilion, where a night wind nipped at the 50 or so people gathered for a candlelight memorial.

But enduring the icy air was nothing compared to the pain the cat these folks came to memorialize must have suffered in the final hours of his life.

The cat was a 10-year-old Maine Coon named Bailey whose death earlier this month at the hands of one or more scumbags who, at the time of this writing, have yet to be found, made headlines across the country.

To keep the graphic stuff short, Bailey died on the way to an animal hospital after his owner and best friend, Carrie Hawkes, found him barely clinging to life outside her St. Catharines home. Following a post-mortem, it was determined that he had been savagely beaten before being doused with gasoline and set on fire. :(

As candles flickered in the wind, Carrie thanked those who came out on such a frigid night and extended her thanks to thousands of people from coast to coast who have passed on their sympathies and have donated to a reward now set at well over $6,000 for anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of whoever was responsible for killing this cat.

:worthy:

Through her tears, Carrie went on to stress that stronger laws are needed against tormentors of animals and that those laws must be enforced with vigour. "They (all creatures great and small) are living, breathing souls, and they deserve as much respect as people do." Aiming her words more directly at whoever brutalized Bailey, she said we, as a society, "need to stop this monster before he goes further and hurts another," including a person.

For those of you - and I know there are more than a few of you out there - who want to say something like; 'Here we go again. Another bunch of bleeding hearts wanting animals to have the same rights as humans,' it is important to connect the dots here. There are already enough studies that have been done across North America that show that people who went on to commit violent crimes against other people often got their start kicking the family dog or hanging a cat from a tree. The creep down the road who is using an animal as a punching bag one day could turn himself on you or one of your loved ones the next.

"Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages," said the late, great American inventor Thomas Edison. As far back as eight centuries ago, the legendary Catholic saint, Francis of Assisi, observed that "if you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."

Sad to say, it has taken more than 100 years of humane societies and other groups to shame our senior levels of government into finally connecting enough of the dots to bring Canada's shockingly weak laws for treating our fellow creatures on this Earth with dignity out of the 19th century.

This past year, our federal government finally passed a law with a maximum penalty for animal cruelty of five years in jail or a $10,000 fine, or both. Our provincial government is also finally promising to crack down on animal abusers with stiffer penalties, although none of these laws appear to go far enough to address abuse against wildlife, including wild animals taken into captivity for profit and for our amusement.

But to the extent the penalties have been stiffened, how willing are our judges and prosecuters to impose real jail times instead of the suspended sentences and small fines we've too often seen in the past, even for some of the most hideous acts of abuse?

Perhaps our law enforcers should ask themselves how they would react if a young person in their family came home and asked for their blessing to marry and have children with someone who had just poured gasoline on a cat and lit it on fire. I think they know how they would react.

It's time we started slamming some of these sickos away, not just for weeks or months, but for years.

In the meantime, if you have any information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for killing Bailey, call the Lincoln County Humane Society at 905-682-0767, ext. 1 or contact Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or by sending a text message to 274637.

Doug Draper can be reached at drapers@vaxxine.com.

Don't get me wrong here. This is a tragic story and I do think the cat abuser needs to be caught and the courts need to hold up the law accordingly, but there are new stronger laws in place. Why are ARA's still calling for tougher laws? What will be enough? They want Humane Society inspectors to have greater powers then the police with the ability to enter your property without a warrant!

If you have any knowledge of how badly the definition of "Humane Society" has been altered by the anti animal use crowd, you'll be astonished if they are ever given these powers! What really surprises me is that people like Doug Draper who formerly understood outdoorsman, now support these radicals in the request for power.

In a recent email from Niagara Action for Animals, requesting their stance on hunting, organization leader Catherine Ens states,

"our position is quite clear - NAfA is against the use, abuse or exploitation of any animal for any purpose. That would include the killing of animals for "sport" hunting.

On behalf of NAfA, cath hurwood".

Yes she uses many alias's. Makes it look like more people share her radical views.

In the ARA eyes, animal use is defined as using them as food (meat), clothing (fur), medical research and even pets! Yes if your in the livestock farming, medical, sporting, or pet industry including pet sales, boarding, feed, grooming or breeding, your public enemy #1 with PETA, NAFA, the Canadian and United States Humane Society and others.

So before you loosen your purse straps to help a animal charity or support them in calls for tougher laws, be sure you know what it is your really supporting. Don't let the cute little kitten pictures or sad abused dog eyes make your decision for you. These animals are being exploited for more than just animal welfare and someday Kevin Strooband might just get his way and he'll be forcing his way into your home because someone who doesn't like hunters falsely reported your dog was being abused. You may even find your not allowed to own a pet or keep a horse anymore. That is their ultimate goal. Read the red writing in NAFA's email one more time and ask Doug why on earth he supports or even quotes any of these people.

To quote Doug Draper:

Here we go again. Another bunch of bleeding hearts wanting animals to have the same rights as humans

That's calling it lightly Doug. They want animals to have MORE rights than people.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the kind of thing Doug will let go to print now. They (the ARA's) have control over what the public reads. Prove me wrong and get a pro hunting letter written.

http://www.thegrimsbylincolnnews.com/news/article/230650

Creatures, great and small, part of our heritage

Letters

Jan 14, 2009

This note is in response to Greg Farrant's Dec. 12 letter concerning West Lincoln Council's review of the Sunday Gun Hunting proposal.

As Mr. Farrant stated, many municipalities have already approved Sunday gun hunting. Most did so without public notice or debate. It was merely a motion brought forward and passed. It took people by surprise and since has made many people angry.

Over the past two years the strategy of the Ontario Federation of Hunters and Anglers has been to get one or two local members to place the issue of Sunday gun hunting on their local municipal agenda. The issue can then be, and has been, quietly passed, avoiding controversy.

I am no match for Greg Farrant, Manager, Government Relations & Communications of a powerful sport hunting organization - or that of the Ministry of Natural Resources. But I am not alone in my concerns and for those of you that feel the same way please contact West Lincoln Town Council for an opportunity to influence this process. (www.westlincoln.com)

Mr. Farrant points out that for hunters who work five days a week, or shift work, Sunday sport hunting would give them one more day to pursue their 'pastime' of hunting and killing 'nuisance' wildlife. (From what I understand, often this is done via hounds and/or ATVs and their targets can include a smorgasbord of squirrel, red winged blackbird, sparrow, rabbit, red fox, raccoon, coyote, deer. For a full list visit: www.mnr.gov.on.ca)

Well, if this is the only reason the OFAH is pushing for this policy, I think I have a safe, economical and mutually beneficial solution for sport hunters who can't pursue their recreational 'pastime' Monday through Saturday before dawn and after dark. Just partner with the reportedly frustrated and numerous farmers that are supposedly in dire need of assistance in controlling 'nuisance' wildlife on their property! Since legislation already exists to allow West Lincoln farmers to hunt any time of the year any day of the week, it seems to be a sound solution!

Then, 95 per cent of the Ontario population that don't hunt can rest easily and enjoy their quality of life in other recreational 'pastimes' on a Sunday. Hiking in our beautiful forests and fields to enjoy living creatures great and small is a big part of our Canadian Cultural Heritage.

For information concerning Ontario's environment and protected areas: www.peacefulparks.org. For an updated list of endangered and at risk species visit: www.sararegistry.gc.ca/species.

Jan Yates

Gee I wonder what a "sport" hunter is anyway ;):worthy:

Must be one of those Rambo guys riding around with a machine gun on an ATV :worthy:

Sure wish I could hunt one of those farmers properties but unfortunately Jan Yates or whatever her real name is, objected to discharging a firearm.

Hello is anybody listening?

What amazes me is how these bleeding heart groups slowly

gain momentum, and before you know it your behind the eight ball.

I don't know how many members there are with OFAH, but it behooves

them to make their voice heard, and loud before their rights are totally

usurped and hunting and fishing become a thing of the past.

Newspapers, TV, Radio, don't sell news. They sell advertising. That simple fact will often guide editorial policy.

The pet industry, ARA's, etc..., spend a lot of money, every month, on advertising nationwide. The outdoor community, hunting, fishing, etc... spend very little, by comparison, beyond their own specialized publications.

Naturally, the editorial position of the media will tend to be more sympathetic to a newspaper's bread and butter, else one loses revenue.

I wrote freelance for a few underground/independant rags back in the 80's. After writing a flame article that was embarassing to the Davis government, I got dropped real quick by one paper. The next week that one paper began carrying ads for the province for the very first time. Back then the govt did not put ad money into backroom rags. Money says it all.

There's more than money behind Draper's choice. He is one emotionally unstable guy. I remember his last article before they either tossed him or he quit and moved across the street to the Region. He basically let the world have it for being environmentally detached. His predecessor turned out to be nothing but a food critic and when Draper returned to NTW, he was a different guy. He used to be sporting friendly.

The thing that bothers me the most is when you try to rationalize with these people they put on the blinders, plug their ears and say lalalalala until you stop speaking. Then the start whining their point without honestly considering what you've said.

There's more than money behind Draper's choice. He is one emotionally unstable guy. I remember his last article before they either tossed him or he quit and moved across the street to the Region. He basically let the world have it for being environmentally detached. His predecessor turned out to be nothing but a food critic and when Draper returned to NTW, he was a different guy. He used to be sporting friendly.

The thing that bothers me the most is when you try to rationalize with these people they put on the blinders, plug their ears and say lalalalala until you stop speaking. Then the start whining their point without honestly considering what you've said.

That is because the ARA position is not up for discussion. To them it is dogma. There goal is to convert us heathen or eradicate us. Their version of holy war. No rationale. Us vs. them. The battle is for the minds of the majority of undecided folks out there. In that regard the ARA's are putting a lot of ad money into the battle.

I think it is because they know the power of persuasion. Someone brainwashed them with some nonsense that seemed to make sens on the surface and used that to persuade them the ARA position is correct. They are afraid that if they hear another point they may have to face the truth.

And really who are the non hunting public going to listen to. A big burly hunter (often an Alpha male) who carries guns into the woods and animals out, who has been the villain of so many Disney movies like Bambi, the Fox and the Hound, and Open Season (and don't forget that the villain in Beauty and the Beast is a hunter) or some skinny short little floppy wristed ARA person?

I find people tend to listen to the opinions more of those they feel comfortable with not intimidated by. I have made a point in my professonal life to not reveal hunting as a pasttime until I know the opinions of thos who I am working with, I somehow feel this is wrong, but in my professional life I want to avoid as many hurdles as possible. That is what society has brought on me.

As hunters, trappers and anglers we have a long and hard fight in front of us. As more of our population lives in cities and gets further away from the woods, gets further away from farms, gets further away from the source of their food, to where food is something that is in packaged in the grocery store. That part of the population doesn't understand the need for wildlife management (in the terms of population controls), or over population, crop damage, they don't understand the comraderie of a party hunt. They don't understand the harvesting of your own food, just the purchasing of it in a store. Some don't even understand the preparing of your own food, just the purchase of it from a restaurant. This is also the population that sees guns as weapons and bows and crossbows as medievil weapons, Not tools for the harvest of food. This is the population that the ARAs have as easy targets. Those are the people who see bloody pictures of seals on the snow and have only seen blood in slasher flicks and war movies, their mind is made at that point right there. and They don't make the connection between a (pretty, wow, amazing) deer, moose, rabbit, duck... and dinner. These same people don't make a connection between a cow and dinner, or a chicken or turkey and dinner (probably a result from too many petting zoos/farms).

My wife (not an ARA) grew up in Kirkland Lake ON, and she will not eat a chicken from my Granny's farm, beef if she knew it was from my Mother's uncle or any game. She prefers her meat to come from the store, as this is how she was raised... :Gonefishing: I don't get it, I deal with it...I say good more for me. and when we see a picture of a deer, moose, rabbit or grouse, I say MMMm or dinner, to get this point through. I only hope I can raise our kids better than that.

FW

Doug Draper is no longer accepting phone calls (lalalala). I phoned NTW and asked to speak with him. I wanted to record a telephone interview (with permission) and ask him about his ARA views and what would be enough as far as animal cruelty laws go.

Well I was told Mr Draper doesn't have a phone. He can only be contacted through email. I asked if the News Paper wanted to get a hold of him, do they have to email him? I was told again that Doug Draper can not be reached by phone (lalalala) ;)

Doug Draper is no longer accepting phone calls (lalalala). I phoned NTW and asked to speak with him. I wanted to record a telephone interview (with permission) and ask him about his ARA views and what would be enough as far as animal cruelty laws go.

Well I was told Mr Draper doesn't have a phone. He can only be contacted through email. I asked if the News Paper wanted to get a hold of him, do they have to email him? I was told again that Doug Draper can not be reached by phone (lalalala) ;)

Like I said, Dan. He is not interested in discussing the issue. He is only interested in preaching the ARA gospel.

To paraphrase one evangelical preacher speaking to the congregation. " You must believe, or you must leave. The gospel and the devil cannot sit side by side."

You are gonna have to start wearing horns on your head.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Mr. Draper has "crossed the floor" :rolleyes: .He has been "persuaded" to partake in a more lucrative career ......... ......

" $${:content:}nbsp; :blush: "

But ,alas.....there are still some news people who may enjoy the woods through hunting , fishing or just camping . Here is this mornings article in a T.O. paper that appears not to be influenced by certain nut cases that make headlines in other media outlets.........I like the opening line...... :)

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnis...389966-sun.html

Archived