Passing the time

alexthegrrr8

For the time being it seems as if some of us are in a bit of a fishing "No Man's Land". With the rain I imagine that it reset things for those wanting to get out on the ice and for those who want to fish places like the river things are still cloudy. So I was wondering how other board members were passing the time.... from a fishing standpoint.

Personally, I've been reading "Trout Bum" by John Gierach and I've been spending some time at the vice tying some flies... patiently awaiting a shipment of materials. I bought the Orvis Fly Tying Guide and it is sweet. I've tied my first nymphs, soft hackles and some Steelhead/Salmon patterns like the Skunk, and Undertaker.

Alex

I'm still sorting through the mountain of Xmas goodies and leftovers. Right now, there is a mound of firewood to gather and cut before the snow is deep. The ice will come reel soon with a couple of nights below minus 10 expected. Tonight I'll finally start back at my little tackle making sideline with a new cabinet to hold inventory and supplies.

I don't have time to sit and twiddle. I just shift from one gear to the next :rolleyes:

I spend the am shovelling .....snow was so deep I broke the #%@&%# handle on my shovel ....spent another hour fixing it....good to plow again ! Lots of family visited , more to come today . Tomorrow is tonneau cover day in Fonthill ...must leave the truck all day to "thaw" so a proper job can be done . Then we have some tripping to do to visit friends & kin folk . By the time we get back to "normal" :P , the tuned up ice rods will be terrorizing those hungry citizens of the deep ! :rolleyes:

Try taking up the sport called hunting :D !! I really dont mind winter at all, even though you cant fish , well you can, but for me Im not a ice kind of guy. I hunt all winter and fish all summer. I really enjoy both sports equally.

i sit here and click refresh all day, waiting for a one of you to post a thread that inspires me to go find a new place to hike, fish or camp. Since you've all been holding out on me i went and explored the natural 12 mile creek today. seen plenty of deer, a few birds and a busy little beaver.

Anyone wanna fish the glen in the morning? :D

Was in the tree stand again today. When conditions aren't good for that I walk the tracks looking for bunnies. If I'm not doing either I'm in a kayak trying to creep up on some geese or ducks. If nothing is biting or presenting itself for a kill shot then I'm moving stands, scouting or finding new places to hunt. I regularilly track the weather and then there's my time spent here talking about it or giving and taking advice.

That was the longer version of Pike007's post :D

If I'm not fishing for trout, I'm preparing for them.

Teaching myself how to tie streamers.

22.jpg

11.jpg

Look out Romeo :D

knight:

Some nice ties.

I can send you some recipes for some pretty easy Steelhead patterns if you like. I've been tying everything but dries right now... nymphs and various patterns like Clousers, Skunk, Undertaker and so on.

Alex

knight:

Some nice ties.

I can send you some recipes for some pretty easy Steelhead patterns if you like. I've been tying everything but dries right now... nymphs and various patterns like Clousers, Skunk, Undertaker and so on.

Alex

That would be great Alex.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan:

I'll pm you those recipes... they are fairly straight forward and nice steelhead patterns. I'm waiting for some materials to arrive at my doorstep. LOL... it's addictive eh?! I'll be tying Spey/Salmon flies real soon as well.

Alex

Was in the tree stand again today. When conditions aren't good for that I walk the tracks looking for bunnies. If I'm not doing either I'm in a kayak trying to creep up on some geese or ducks. If nothing is biting or presenting itself for a kill shot then I'm moving stands, scouting or finding new places to hunt. I regularilly track the weather and then there's my time spent here talking about it or giving and taking advice.

That was the longer version of Pike007's post :)

I here ya on the not wanting to sit there in a stand, just to damn cold to be a sitting duck. Me and the boy took a walk through one of the spots this morning for bunnies , no luck, lots of coyote tracks though :Gonefishing:

Archived