Do You Believe Red Hooks Make A Difference??

fafaflohi

Well faf. that's a hard question , I have used them , both single red hooks & small trebles . You would have to compare them the same time & place to see if you are getting more action , otherwise , a slower/better bite would depend on the fishing action each day . A good bite today may be very slow the next day , as we all know ! :D So , I really can't say for sure if red works better , but since red simulates blood or a wounded fish, I think the red should give you an advantage over black or silver . I think sharpness & style is more important .

No. I used red hooks for ice fishing and after a short while the red wears off and turns to gold. The gold catches as many perch as the red. THe perch are more interested in the minnow not the colour of the hook.

FWIW...A buddy brought me 2 new rods he bought for his kids so I hooked him up with some bobbers and I tied on some red hooks. His daughter was so excited she dropped her line in before he could get worms and she caught a rock bass with just the red hook...I think the effect is marginal but it may just make the difference once in a while. It never hurts to try new things.

As far as bass fishing goes, Kevin Vandamn swears by red hooks. I heard him speaking about using crankbaits with a black hook on the front and red on the back and found the fish would hit the red ones even after switching the red hooks to the front. Says something! Slip

I've seen a rock bass hit a cigarette butt that someone had flipped into the water. I really don't think color is that important. Visibility is more important, and if red adds a bit of visability, then go for it. But chartreuse, yellow, even blue will do the same thing under the right conditions.

Guest Rockfish

Colour seems to make a difference in the right water conditions especially in clear water that isn't very deep. I was ice fishing with a guy a couple weeks ago that had a minnow on a jighead at the bottom of his line and a bare multicoloured (chartruese and pink) hook about 12" up. He caught a perch on the bare hook instead of hitting the minnow, lol.

Well , after reading the posts , I think colour matters , be it a red hook or chartreuse , or pink ,etc, etc. All you need to do is ask the guys who tie flies :Gonefishing: ....so many materials & colours to dress up a hook ! The lures we use to attract fish these days have much better paint jobs than the old spoons & plugs of the past ....and the fish themselves have so much colour. So , I would guess that a red hook helps , even though the fish may see red much differently than the human eye does........There has probably been tank test experiments done to see if fish showed more interest in different coloured hooks .(now I'm getting real scientific here) :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Gimmicky as red fishing line.

Now Tommy ....I saw you using shocking pink worms under your float :Gonefishing: ..... and thanks for those nice mariboos you gave me .......do you make them in any other colours than brown ?? :Gonefishing:

Red hooks are too expensive anyway.......................... :Gonefishing:

i was at sylvan lake in Alberta this past summer, and there were walleye wimming around in the marina i was in, had just a plain hook, so i took a cigarette filter and put that up, cast out with no weight, and let it sink slowly, 4 walleye caught like this. So I'd say if the fish are "on", they will hit anything, that being said, it certainly cant hurt.

Heres a photo.

5334_1221328614565_1269434311_13189.jpg

But you know PINK worms work....otherwise I would not be using them :)

Overall, if you have confidence your tactics and it helps you catch fish, then by all means continue to do so. :)

PINK worms worked well when wetting my line for trout in the harbour ,with a 3 way set up , but who knows if a black or white worm might do better ? I have tied a strand of red wool on a treble hook on spoons to simulate blood or just to add some contrast .Smell seems to be very important , they sure like those stinking maggots !icon8.gif It's all elementary Watson .........icon10.gif

Guest Rockfish

The colour of a lure is a much more dominate feature than adding some colour to a hook especially on a spoon or a crankbait. Adding red trebles on a crankbait can add a bit more colour but I've never bothered with it myself. You can also dab some red paint on a lure or paint an eye on a spoon, so whatever turns yur crank.

The colour of a lure is a much more dominate feature than adding some colour to a hook especially on a spoon or a crankbait. Adding red trebles on a crankbait can add a bit more colour but I've never bothered with it myself. You can also dab some red paint on a lure or paint an eye on a spoon, so whatever turns yur crank.

You really dont wanna know what turns my crank :)

Archived