Morning in da Port

Mike Pike

Quiet morning today at Port D. Just a few folks out this morning and at one point I was actually by myself for an hour or so. A little TOO quiet! lol

As far as the fish were concerned, they were pretty quiet too.

Anyhoo, after drifting with a Gulp minnow for an hour or so with no takers, I switched to some old salmon roe I had tied up in a bright orange mesh. The only fish of the morning, this Brown, finally broke the silence. It's my best Brown of the season, so I wanted to post it.

med_gallery_177_61_30846.jpg

Thank you to my new friend from Kitchener for the net job and taking the photo.

Driving home to Hamilton around noon, the snow just started to come down and it's still coming as I'm typing this. Already enough on the ground to start shovelling in the Hammer. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Cheers!

Very nice fish. Love the colours. Looking at that picture I can see why smerchly would say my Atlantic salmon pic looked like a brown. But then they are related. . . Salmo salar and Salmo trutta. I've never caught a brown. . . hope to one day soon.

Very nice fish. Love the colours. Looking at that picture I can see why smerchly would say my Atlantic salmon pic looked like a brown. But then they are related. . . Salmo salar and Salmo trutta. I've never caught a brown. . . hope to one day soon.

If you want to get really picky you could name the strain as well, that looks like a Seeforellen. NY started stocking them in the 80's, they're the ones that grow to be the real pigs.

If you want to get really picky you could name the strain as well, that looks like a Seeforellen. NY started stocking them in the 80's, they're the ones that grow to be the real pigs.

I thought the exact same thing. Very sparse spot pattern..... Incidentally, I don't think we have stocked them over here in a bunch of years. Could be a "wild" (at least as wild as an invasive species can get) spawned fish

Thanks for the comments guys. Regarding the strain, I have to admit, as soon as I got a good look at it, it definately looked 'different' and of course first thing I thought was; Atlantic? But the spots on the body looked more like spots than x's. The fact that ya think it's probably a different strain totally makes sense to me because it's unlike any Brown I've caught before.

Thanks for the comments guys. Regarding the strain, I have to admit, as soon as I got a good look at it, it definately looked 'different' and of course first thing I thought was; Atlantic? But the spots on the body looked more like spots than x's. The fact that ya think it's probably a different strain totally makes sense to me because it's unlike any Brown I've caught before.

I wouldn't have thought it to be an Atlantic. But there are similarities. The picture I was referring to is the one I'm attaching below. This is a 15-16 lb hen caught near the mouth of the West River in Antigonish Nova Scotia. Landlocked salmon (which is what Lake Ontario Salmon would look like) will appear much like this but a bit less chunky and the colours not as bright. Copy this picture to your editor and blow it up to full size. . . the clours will blow you away! Your brownie is much the same in that respect.

n615965263_1283045_3774.jpg

I thought the exact same thing. Very sparse spot pattern..... Incidentally, I don't think we have stocked them over here in a bunch of years. Could be a "wild" (at least as wild as an invasive species can get) spawned fish

I thought NY still stocked a few Seeforellen's, or atleast until relatively recently. I know they were still putting them in well into the mid 90's but not sure about now. For the guys that are "Seefor whaa?", back in the glory days of the 80's NY brought back some eggs from Germany. These guys are pelagic browns that act alot like salmon in the big inland lakes of Germany & Austria and grow to be absolute pigs. That's when Lake O brown records started getting pummelled by 30's, I caught one off Bronte in the early 90's that was 36" and north of 20lb's, up until now that's been the only one I've seen on this side of the lake (which is why I got a bit excited when I saw the fish).

NY may have started stocking Seeforellen's on this side of the Atlantic, but it was MI & WI that went hog wild for them. Somebody caught a 40 in Michigan last fall.

world_record_brown_trout_Manistee_river.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. Regarding the strain, I have to admit, as soon as I got a good look at it, it definately looked 'different' and of course first thing I thought was; Atlantic?

The tail, on an Atlantic it will look like a salmon.

Erik your link didn't work for me.. but im quite interested in reading it.

yeah it only seems to work if you google search "brown atlantic hybrid" and go to the second link from the top sorry about that.

Archived