What

Helron

The Grumps don't wear no white stripe :P The ice by port just isn't quite there to be making a "safe" ice report.

There were a few perch caught, but the ice is only stable for a short distance, and certainly not the recommended 4".

Some people believe in safety first :Gonefishing:

Quite right.

4" or 24" there is always some risk on the ice. That is why there is safety gear designed for ice fishing. Insulated floater suits, cleats, ice piks, etc...

No different than walking along the street. You cannot eliminate all the risks, unless you want to spend the rest of your days hiding in bed.

I wouldn't compare walking down the street with walking out on first ice. From experience I also wouldn't use the internet as a guide to what ice is safe and what ice isn't.

Common sense prevails :Gonefishing:

In Toronto, alone, there are an average of 2000 pedestrian vehicle accidents per year that are reported. Of those the death rate ranges from 25-50 per year. I'm certain there are a few hundred similar occurences in Niagara. Then lets add muggings, common assaults, theft, sexual assaults, trip and fall accidents. Hate to tell you this but the world is not a safe place. Ask any ER staffer or a beat cop. How you face that world is the difference.

I trust the ice as much as I trust any part of nature, and as much as I trust my fellow man. I don't. In fact I trust mankind the least. There are hazards inherent with all 3. Weigh them out, evaluate, prepare. Beyond hiding, that's the best that one can do.

May I suggest there be no ice fishing reports until the ice is 6" thick . We will fish in our spots we consider safe enough to auger a hole but refrain from reporting our catch . Mods....feel free to delete any posts about fishing on ice considered to be unsafe . :Gonefishing:

In Toronto, alone, there are an average of 2000 pedestrian vehicle accidents per year that are reported. Of those the death rate ranges from 25-50 per year. I'm certain there are a few hundred similar occurences in Niagara. Then lets add muggings, common assaults, theft, sexual assaults, trip and fall accidents. Hate to tell you this but the world is not a safe place. Ask any ER staffer or a beat cop. How you face that world is the difference.

I trust the ice as much as I trust any part of nature, and as much as I trust my fellow man. I don't. In fact I trust mankind the least. There are hazards inherent with all 3. Weigh them out, evaluate, prepare. Beyond hiding, that's the best that one can do.

Wow thats so so sad.

With Toronto's population at 2.5 million and surrounding area bringing it up to 5.5 million,

the percentage of accidents and mugging et al is less than .05 percent.

That's pretty exceptional when you look at the rush and hustle of a major city like that.

One is in control and responsible for their life.

In an area like Toronto, it's almost impossible to be aware of everything going on around one

at every moment because there is sooooo much fortuitous encounters.

When one goes ice fishing, the risk involved is based solely on ones decisions.

No other factors are involved. If one checks ice thickness every few feet,

makes it a point to know the body of water, the chances of an accident is slight.

If one goes out on the ice because many others are out there, and not checking things for themselves,

they have omitted some of their responsiblity.

If one going on questionable ice, they are possibly exposing them self to an accident,

that can could be prevented. Just don't do it. It's not worth the risk.

Also our part of the world is quite a safe place.

Hopefully common sense prevails.

:Gonefishing:

when I went ice fishing sunday, I did see some one on the ice, but I cracked open a pre drilled hole and checked the thickness first before even bringing my gear on the ice, since it was at the recommended thickness I decided to start fishing, I did not go any further than I thought was safe, which wasnt that far.

Whoa guys I never asked if anyone went out ice fishing on Lake Ontario. I was wondering about trips up north kind of thing, my chums from Massey for example are reporting really thick ice.

Saw a report from Lake Simcoe! They had to pull a guy and his daughter out because the morons took a snowmobile out on the ice. I don't care about the people who put themselves in stupid situations like that, I worry more for the people who have to risk their lives because these people took a chance and in that area should damn well know better considering every year there's a new picture or two of a nice brand new truck just sticking out of the ice.

Archived