Personal Best Piece Of Chrome

blairwelsh

Hello Everyone!

Thought I would post this one on the General Forum (Cause I'm up in Toronto, and wont be saying any location- the pics are also at night!)

Many may know that I have been doing at lot of NIGHT FISHING for Chrome out on some of the GTA TRIBS.

Whole different world out there.

Unique from PEIR FISHING or at the PORT / WHIRLPOOL.

I usually find myself all alone (Just the way i like it for that particular fishing) and like to keep my setup simple.

No Float (Just regular Ultralight Spinning Combo), No Laterns/Headlamps (Barely ever even use flashlight), No Glow ...

Roe, Hook & Sinkers ... work the shorelines, deep pools. Do both Static & some bottom bouncing.

So by my standards (LOL) have been very successful at this.

Making do with the best situation that i can.

Been landing a whole bunch of 2-3-4 pound charming little/med guys & gals, Some Browns ..... and then the other night (SAT) this is what happened:

MY PERSONAL BEST

(Yes, I'm bragging a bit *SMILES* but it sure felt/feels good to share this one)

Tonight was a classic.

Went out for Dinner with the Wife. Celebrating the new Job.

The "new job" means I will be WORKING TOMORROW on SUNDAY!

lol

Around 7:30 she notices that "minor distraction" in my eyes and train of thought.

I had stepped out momentarily for a cigaretter before desert & coffee and really felt how WARM it was out.

Clear Skis, no much wind.

Boy ... hard to guess what was on my mind.

So ... she knows I have the itch and says:

"Honey Bunny" ... you have to WORK tomorrow! If you go fishing, wont you come home late.

It's not good to "Burn the Candle at both ends".

BABY... we are talking FISHING HERE.

Get home, change in record time (About 2 minutes) .... pack my supplies (Roe, Hooks Rod, Smokes, Camera - LUCKY CHARM STONE)

* Found the "Lucky Charm Stone" (Red Rock- Cysrtal) about 3 weeks ago while out fishing. Havent been skunked since.

Hit the Water around 9:30pm - Figures I would get about 3 hours

First Pool produces:

NiceColour.jpg

Got a couple more 2-3 pound ones as Well! (All real bright, They all jumped, danced and put on a great Evening Show on the Water)

SECOND POOL: (a piece of Plywood by the shore provided a tempory "mount" - then it was back in the water). 3 fish caught at this pool

MountedRainbow.jpg

THEN I went to the 3rd spot (Almost wasnt going to go) figured I would use the last 3 Roe Bags I had tied (U know, the one's I use SEA SALT with!)

* I casted way over to the other side, usually this is risky because there are a lot of snags and shore brush. Didnt care cause I had already said if I get a snag, I would just pack up and go home.

My line became slightly tangled around my reel (under the Handle) ... as I turned the rod & raised it up to double check all is clear

MY ROD GOES DOWN & HARD like a Frieght Train ... pulling pulling pulling....

ZZZZZZ ....... ZZZZZZZ the drag is burning on fire ZZZZZ .....ZZZZZZZ (Thank God I had oiled the Reel, and things were set perfectly)

I could feel that jerk back and forth that only a BIG BOW likes to do, but so far no arieals .... it was staying deep and still pulling hard.

Ran around 50 yds on way .... then came back right at me.

I was not losing this beast (Back of my mind I was praying that my HOOK TIE was good on this one)

* 6 lb Ultra Light at Night sure is Heart Pounding.

It keeps down deep and does several circles around the pool. Been working it for almost 10-15 minutes now - WITH no SIGHTING.

I was starting to think it might be some freak late Salmon.

Actually got excited that maybe I could score some loose Chinny Roe!

First Appearance - I had em about 10 yards from my position and was guiding it towards the shore. It surfaces and I finally could see Flashes of White & Grey.

NO salmon, ALL CHROME!

It took off for one more run ... I hoped the line and hook set would keep holding. (Knowing my luck, something had to Break)

Fortunately it didnt!

This is one of my PERSONAL BEST for the SEASON.

Considering I havent been able to get up to the SAUG or NOTTY ... I'm very proud of this one.

100% KISS then ... Release!

HugeNIghtChrome.jpg

After Post (Update):

I just noticed the hook & roe bag sitting like that in the photo. (pointed out)

* I always take the hook out FIRST (Actually lost a photo op on a couple fish that way, they bucked & bolted. At night in the dark, all alone ...you have to move fast)

With this tank, removed the hook and just dropped the rod down right there. Wanted to get a quick photo, and back into the water.

The "orange by the belly" is a Leaf, not blood.

I can assure you this one absolutely SMASHED the BAIT!

NightChromeTank.jpg

Honestly ... we all have our pride and do like to boast a bit and share in some really good news.

So .... I just have to say:

THAT BOW was the BIGGEST ONE I have caught in a LONG TIME!

Seriously, i really did think it was a Late Salmon and at one point was even considering Snapping it off (IMAGINE THAT).

Then (Thankfully) a bit of Greed got in me and I figured if it was a Chinny Hen ... I'd play it out (6lb Ultra light) and maybe get a little fresh loose roe (Little hug- little squeeze - little milk)

When I did finally relize it was a BOW, My friggin heart rate went through the roof!

IT's Not about SIZE, but it is sometimes ... right? *SMILES*

I "Wish" I had a scale or someone else to take a picture with it in my arms ... but that just was not the situation.

Certainly glad I caught it ....

IT REALLY, REALLY.. REALLY was a TANK!

*SMILES*

ps; Now thats all out of my system, time to get back to reality.

I hope to get out next mayber for Friday Night. - Gonna be a lot colder and wetter

Putting our past aside I really like those fish! I bet the big one gave an amazing fight!

I actually caught one that size too over the weekend except it had two lamprey marks and was ugly. One I caught later like that was a tad smaller, but it gave the best fight ive ever had so I can only imagine how hard the big one in front of your feet must have fought. :bb2:

lol

Putting our past aside I really like those fish! I bet the big one gave an amazing fight!

I actually caught one that size too over the weekend except it had two lamprey marks and was ugly. One I caught later like that was a tad smaller, but it gave the best fight ive ever had so I can only imagine how hard the big one in front of your feet must have fought. :bb2:

lol

Thank you (and "PEACE" *SMILES*)

Congrats on your(s) as well.

It did give a "Fight of a lifetime".... only different thing was NO JUMPS. (Which was weird)

It pulled, it shook its head, it went one way to the next .... came right at me hard.

But no Jumps.

The whole aspect of almost Total Darkest ... adds a "Flavour" as well.

You know what to do (I think...) but kinda use different senses and approach while your doing it.

Make sense?

Anyway .... the whole evening had magic to it.

Warm, Clear .... kinda surreal.

I WISH IT UPON EVERYONE!

Thats sure some nice fish there....congrats!!!! The way you tell the story is even better.....I was picturing this in my mind as I read your write up.

Nice going......

Great comments and point outs there MEPPS & CHILLI!

Stimulates me to explain my 2 bits. Here goes:

Firstly, I dont CENTRE PIN / FLOAT (Know a few guys who do at night ... and if of course your good at that ... probably slay em just as well or better!)

Secondly, I am a "Cheap Old Dog" set in his ways (OPEN to the good new stuff and suggestions ... ) but have always liked to keep it REAL SIMPLE & QUICK EASY Set uo!

Not saying its any better, just works great for me! *SMILES*

"Floro Carbon": at night not neccessary. Take into account, I'm not using SWIVELS, NO LEADER .... just 6lb Cajun red Mono line, egg sinker (use a smaller spit shot about 12" -18" up from hook to stop the egg sinker from coming down to hook) THATs it!

I personally find FLORO real expensive and in this particular set up and situation - NOT NEEDED.

Dont bother with the swivel, cause I'm not casting Hardware ... so no major twisting of the line or worry about perfect presentation or drift.

The egg sinker not being fixed allows for movement on bottom to reduce snags, and gives good feel on the taps.

The red cajun mono is REAL CHEAP (like $8 for 1600-2000yds) and has always worked great for me. Never a problem with strength, I change up ever other outing, cause its so cheap and dont want nicks in line (Bottom Fishing) to lose me a fish.

I use a #4 or #6 octapus hook (NEVER SMALLER) for the night fishing cause there is no need to CONCEAL the hook. Even the smaller 2-3-4 fish have NO PROBLEMS taking it with the BIGGER ROE BAG!

* Make sure your hook is FULLY EXPOSED! dont have to hide it or tuck it in with the bait. NOT ABOUT PRESENTATION! all about SMELL & SETTING the HOOK!

By NOT USING : Swivel, leaders.... "Split shot" stages.... I keep things SIMPLE AND FAST (Friggin easier at NIGHT) for when I have to change up or retie. No making fun of the guys who have amazing set ups in the Day with their Float Drifting, BUT: I've seen people spending HALF and HOUR tying up instead of having their DAM LINE IN the WATER! *SMILES* I know we have all seen this.

Again, no right or wrong or better way .... Just my way of doing it at night.

For the ROE: Man ... use the STINKY STICKY ....ROE! Dont worry if there are pieces of skein, if some of the eggs are half raisins, if some are gooey and so on!

Tie the bags big and tight ... (No colour matters: Use em all! I use regular white)

Its all about the SMELL!

At night here are your advantages:

1. NO ONE ELSE is THERE (no pressure, the fish havent had 500 drifts by them in the last 2 hours)

2. Fish arent spooked, cant really see you at night ... no worries

3. I think between 8-10pm they seem to be just as hungry as the early morning

4. DONT USE FLASHLIGHTS or any light unless your at shore and retying. Get used to the Star light, Moon light. All you need and makes the whole experience more Surreal. ITs cool!

5. Go to the HOLES you would EXPECT the fish to be in. You dont have to EXPLORE or go TRACKING all over the place. Be safe!

6. You can wear waders and do the STALKING in SHALLOW WATERS, has its effectiveness as well. They are in there darting around like STEALTH BOMBERS (Got to be more quite obviously)

CATCH & RELEASE all your FISH! *SMILES* ( not knocking anyone follow the regs, but the more you catch and release ... the bigger they get and the more fun we all have in the future)

Hope my 2 bits might help!

Archived