Pike Spearing

wainfleet

I was just looking for people's thoughts on not being able to spear pike anymore more. I remember as a child i looked forward to it every spring when me and my dad would go to the bird road ditch and spear some pike and have a good fish fry. I had lots of good times doing it. But now i think it might be a good thing they got rid of it cause i would like to see pike make a come back in lake Erie. Would like to hear some feedback and story's on the issue.

I myself have one story that i remember from being a child. One day me and my Father got a pike with a spear, and put it in the back of the truck. We tried another ditch, and on our way back to the truck. A hawk grabbed our pike and flew off with it. I guess the hawk had a better supper then us that night.

It does look a little fun, something i would try once if i could, but it doesnt seem like fair game. The one thing i would be concerned about is what if you spear a fish and its got tapeworms... or someother disease thats transferable to man, you just wasted a fish.

I've never done it, mind you I wouldn't want to.

Youtube has some pike spearing videos from Michigan and Minnesota and it's just not appealing to me, I rather catch them with a rod.

I know a lot of northern folks who wish they could do it, they dislike pike, pike are a pain in the ass, contrary to fishing shows the locals do not release pike up north, to them the pike over populate and take over their lakes which knock the walleye fishing out of whack.

It does look a little fun, something i would try once if i could, but it doesnt seem like fair game. The one thing i would be concerned about is what if you spear a fish and its got tapeworms... or someother disease thats transferable to man, you just wasted a fish.

Wouldnt you cook the fish though, and remove the bacteria?

Check this out. Especially towards the end of the video.

That was actually a good video, I guess if we grew up with those forms of fishing here and it was still legal we would probably be trying it more often then not. I guess it's what they have always done to catch pike, can't fault them for that.

I was shocked to see that they don't actually shoot the fish when using firearms, that was probably the most interesting part.

That was actually a good video, I guess if we grew up with those forms of fishing here and it was still legal we would probably be trying it more often then not. I guess it's what they have always done to catch pike, can't fault them for that.

I was shocked to see that they don't actually shoot the fish when using firearms, that was probably the most interesting part.

Personally, I just don't see the sport in that. However, as much as I disagree with it, I realize this is what these guys have grown up doing and was passed on from generation to generation, so it's really not my place to judge. I'll take a pole over a pitching fork or rifle any day though...

Personally, I just don't see the sport in that. However, as much as I disagree with it, I realize this is what these guys have grown up doing and was passed on from generation to generation, so it's really not my place to judge. I'll take a pole over a pitching fork or rifle any day though...

Me too steve! I see it more as a means of survival than a sport...IMO

I enjoyed the video Lorne . I tried spear fishing way back when the rules were absent , but I never tried shooting (at) fish . The idea of stunning them by concussion is similar to using dynamite or electric prods . When the smelts were running at Queenston , many years ago , we would watch the americans standing with their spears and a light shining into the Niagara R. for pike (or whatever else may be under the light) .

Me too steve! I see it more as a means of survival than a sport...IMO

Ya you're right. It's just like the gator hunters in the southern states. Like I said, it's not my place to judge. Ethics takes a backseat to survival.

All pursuit of game, whether hunting, angling. photography, has its roots in the harvest of meat for survival. Many who fish, including myself, still rely on a large part of the catch for sustenance. It is a part of the upbringing and heritage. C&R is a relatively young (30 year) concept in the history of fishing. The only game practice I do not care for is trophy hunting, as it is a rejection of the survival ethic, and is, in essence wasteful.

All pursuit of game, whether hunting, angling. photography, has its roots in the harvest of meat for survival. Many who fish, including myself, still rely on a large part of the catch for sustenance. It is a part of the upbringing and heritage. C&R is a relatively young (30 year) concept in the history of fishing. The only game practice I do not care for is trophy hunting, as it is a rejection of the survival ethic, and is, in essence wasteful.

You re absolutely right,theres still alot of guys that look at me like im insane as i release ALL trout that i catch.Have had a few mad at me too,when my answer was NO to them keeping my fish.

You re absolutely right,theres still alot of guys that look at me like im insane as i release ALL trout that i catch.Have had a few mad at me too,when my answer was NO to them keeping my fish.

Good for you RiveRLife.....Im the same...I release all the trout I catch. Im not really a fish eater as matter of fact....but I will keep some perch and walleye for the table, and nothing more than a meal or two. I enjoy the sport for the solitude, my surroundings , the anticipation and companionship. I have spent enough money on fishing, that I could have bought a lifetime supply of fish.....fish and chips....oh yes Im gain for that. I also could never shoot an animal like a deer...just not my nature. I have no problem with people keeping thier catch or the animals they shoot....Its just not for me, and I have nothing against selective harvest. Pitch forking and shooting fish is just plain wrong in my opinion...and thats just my opinion. I hate when people over harvest.........nothing about sport, and all about how many fish they can load up with, and usually they are also the ones who trash the place as well.

Speared a few back as a teen back in the sixties, it was great fun. Didn't get a lot, we usually went in a creek that runs by the Welland Airport that got its start up by my parents place on the Canboro Road. March and early April was the time, not a lot going on at that time, bunny season closed the end of Feb. and trout didn't open till May, it passed a few weekends. Remember too, the attitudes towards pike were different than now, they were treated almost as a trash fish like carp and suckers, and were thought to prey on more desireable species, " a good pike is a dead pike".

edit : just watched the video, we made our spears in high school metal shop :crazy:

Yes cooking properly would remove parasites, As i do, But i dont take a chance of eating a fish that has tape worms

Sorry for post twice gotta be the only 24 year old whose computer illiterate

Yes if cooked properly, which i do all fish, but i dont take a chance eating a fish with tape worms

I don't trust eating sushi ,although it may be considered safe .And I always eat meat like steak very well done ....no red showing at all . We have eaten perch with the odd worm that I missed while cleaning but a little extra "cooked" protein is a bonus ...ha ha . Rickyy33 , look for the delete word at the bottom of your post.......

I don't trust eating sushi ,although it may be considered safe .And I always eat meat like steak very well done ....no red showing at all . We have eaten perch with the odd worm that I missed while cleaning but a little extra "cooked" protein is a bonus ...ha ha . Rickyy33 , look for the delete word at the bottom of your post.......

MMmmmmm Sushi, sushi is actually rice, you can have it made with anything from raw fish to potato's to ........ anything..

I didnt see no delete? i'll try next time lol

Hmmmm....."fish sushi" ? :) ....Guy across the road runs a sushi restaurant . I don't know a lot about sushi ....but I can make saki ! :crazy:

Rick...I can easily delete a double post with "delete" at the bottom of each post .....don't know why you haven't this option .

I've been spear fishing with my dad, back when it was legal.

I eat a lot of Pike. Some think they're garbage fish.

People who don't appreciate pike are narrow minded anglers.

In the north, humans are a much greater threat to walleye than pike are. They get scapegoated.

Maybe I should have mentioned that although the guys I know dislike Northern Pike and refuse to throw them back, they do not waste them, everyone enjoys eating them, they are actually one of my favorite species to consume too. I usually don't bother keeping pike or anything I catch unless it is hooked bad. Last spring I ate 1 Channel Cat, 3 Yellow Bullheads and this 2012 season I have consumed 1 Northern Pike, 1 Walleye and a few Splake and unless I catch a fish that is hooked bad, then I probably won't eat any more all year.....sorry that's sort of a lie, if I can get back up North and get a few Ling or one huge one, I will be trying that....lol

Archived