Chipawa Creek

dr_feelgood

I was down at the mouth of the upper river tonight and noticed an area fenced off. OPG has an 8" + barbed wire fence around a concrete pad that has given many of us hours of good fishing. I have a contact in OPG that is going to give me a contact name, but, I was wondering if anyone has heard why it is now fenced off. The "swimmers" are not afected and in 4 years of fishing there, I have never seen any trash on the pad. Summer time fishing can be tough trying to avoid the "swimmers" that scale the walk bridge and jump into the current and emerge BEYOND the fenced in area. I would like any input for when I talk to OPG later in the week.

Cant wait to hear an explanation for this one! I bring my daughter there many times throughout the summer.......that sucks! A few people have died there swimming though?

Cant wait to hear an explanation for this one! I bring my daughter there many times throughout the summer.......that sucks! A few people have died there swimming though?

They don't die from that spot. I watched people scale the fencing on the walk bridge and jump in. They really messed up my fishing when the current brought them around the concrete pad.

Are you talking about the section where chippiwa enters the niagara river? If so it could be a continuation of what happened with the divers a few years back where they got sucked down the pipes to the emback stations and with the work being performed to create emback 3, this could have been done to keep swimmers out of there as they were predicting the currents to change during construction. I learned of this during the Niagara Diver's presentation after the divers had passed.

Are you talking about the section where chippiwa enters the niagara river? If so it could be a continuation of what happened with the divers a few years back where they got sucked down the pipes to the emback stations and with the work being performed to create emback 3, this could have been done to keep swimmers out of there as they were predicting the currents to change during construction. I learned of this during the Niagara Diver's presentation after the divers had passed.

The swimmers dont jump off this area,they jump in from bridge or up stream further.

my company has the contract through opg to fence off all bridges and falls in the niagara region.....its sad to say but im fencein off areas i used to love fishin!.just put up huge fgate and fence at glen access and many more waterways will be next!.its liabilitie reasons and i can guarentee you will not get permission ive talked to a few bigwigs on sites that said permisson in these ares will not be avaiable. just to work on theses propertys we have to be supervised by OPG and theres lots of red tape...even security clearance.....so sorry to say you will not be gettin behind those fences without a huge fine! goodluck

Someone drown swimming in kingsbridge park this summer which is just up from this spot.....and Im positive that someone drown after jumping off the bridge 2 summers ago...there is a wooden cross and flowers which is the memorial for the guy who drown to the right of the concrete pad. I spoke with the kids mother while I was fishing. She was there planting flowers and paying respect on the 1 year anniversary of her sons death.....

Very sad but I am definately going to miss bringing my daughter there because it was so close to our house...

Someone drown swimming in kingsbridge park this summer which is just up from this spot.....and Im positive that someone drown after jumping off the bridge 2 summers ago...there is a wooden cross and flowers which is the memorial for the guy who drown to the right of the concrete pad. I spoke with the kids mother while I was fishing. She was there planting flowers and paying respect on the 1 year anniversary of her sons death.....

Very sad but I am definately going to miss bringing my daughter there because it was so close to our house...

This spot is not a swimming spot. I feel for the family of people who have bad judgement. I just don't understand why someone would scale a fence just to jump in water for a 30 second drift

i live in chippawa and last summer the grassy area between the parkway and the cement wall was loaded with cars on many days. a lot of these people were using this area to start their float of the creek. they go in the water there and float with the current all the way to the chippawa boat ramp. the problem is with the opening where the water flows into the creek. it is very narrow and close calls between boaters and swimmers were bound to happen. my biggest problem is the concrete pad was a great place to catch minnows. just one more shining example of the nanny state we are becoming thanks to premier McDAD AND THE IDIOTS IN TORONTO THAT KEEP ELECTING HIM

The nanny state and big brother , aka Mr. Orwell , aka Google legal spying is upon us ........There isn't a politician in Canada who can sway the power of the mighty corporations . It's not worth my time to vote again . Put your stock money into the fencing business .......

i live in chippawa and last summer the grassy area between the parkway and the cement wall was loaded with cars on many days. a lot of these people were using this area to start their float of the creek. they go in the water there and float with the current all the way to the chippawa boat ramp. the problem is with the opening where the water flows into the creek. it is very narrow and close calls between boaters and swimmers were bound to happen. my biggest problem is the concrete pad was a great place to catch minnows. just one more shining example of the nanny state we are becoming thanks to premier McDAD AND THE IDIOTS IN TORONTO THAT KEEP ELECTING HIM

Has nothing to do with McGuinty. It has everything with the law society. They find new ways to sue and make money, so we lose.

I wish there was worth while fish and game club around here that would fight for us to keep these spots open.Big brother USA does not do this because there would be 100 fisher men standing on the pad ready to be fenced in.I bring fence cutters with me every where I go now because its all BS.

Lets do this lets do that What we need to do is get a new fish and game club started and not call OPG or email Have 50 pissed off fisher men at there door might help more.

Just my 2 cents WRC

I wish there was worth while fish and game club around here that would fight for us to keep these spots open.Big brother USA does not do this because there would be 100 fisher men standing on the pad ready to be fenced in.I bring fence cutters with me every where I go now because its all BS.

Lets do this lets do that What we need to do is get a new fish and game club started and not call OPG or email Have 50 pissed off fisher men at there door might help more.

Just my 2 cents WRC

Tried to do that a few times. Some tried to start a new Niagara river club, and many attempts have been made to breath new life into the SCG&F. Long and short of it, most today are interested in pointing fingers while letting others do the work. That is why every outdoors sporting club in Niagara is slowly dying or already dead.

I heard the people that live in the houses accross the street put im a complaint.. The new fence is ruining their view. That was my main minnow spot.

maybe we should put some of that old school plastic strips in the fence to HELP the view

Tried to do that a few times. Some tried to start a new Niagara river club, and many attempts have been made to breath new life into the SCG&F. Long and short of it, most today are interested in pointing fingers while letting others do the work. That is why every outdoors sporting club in Niagara is slowly dying or already dead.

That's sad to hear...here I am trying to get involved in as many local clubs are I can. Does the SCGF hold meetings anymore or take new members? I recently joined the OFAH, but want to join more local clubs. I plan on starting to attend the St. Catharines BassMaster meetings once school is over. I read about the Niagara River Anglers Association, did that club ever take off? I guess I'm wondering, as a young and passionate angler, what are some of the local clubs I can get involved in? I'm willing to volunteer as much of my time as I can to some of these local clubs. As long as there are others with a similar mentality as myself, there is always hope!

Archived