Smerch's Surgery Update

smerchly

This can be called "fishing related" ......many of you are aware that I had surgery to remove skin cancer ( caused by fishing in the sun ?) and a piece of my left ear was snipped off to fill the hole at the edge of my nostril . The ear has similar cartilage & also has a curved edge like the nostril has . Well, the graft was successful and all the sutures were removed yesterday . The plastic surgeon has been taking close up photos as the transplanted tissue progressed & he was very happy to see how quickly it healed . One more follow up appointment will be done to complete his records . He told me this ear to nose graft is rare and these results can be used by other surgeons in the future . I told him he did a fantastic job and thanked him for his knowledge and skilled hands . I'm thankful we have access to these doctors who can do wonders with the medical knowledge they have these days .

As I said in my original post about skin cancer .......take care and use sunblock , hats etc.to help avoid this disease .....it's sneaky and can creep into your skin anytime .......

Thanks guys , the other good news is the pathology report said there was no cancer cells in the incision side of the tissue that was removed . The surgeon said I could start applying skin block to the skin graft next week . I must learn to keep some in my fishing bag for all my future fishing days , even during the winter months . :Gonefishing:

I just had lunch with my Father who is 65 and he just told me that he just found out that he has skin cancer on his nose... I'm wondering if he will follow the same procedure you did... he is a avid runner, every day, rain or shine 6 miles since he was about 30... he thinks that is where the exposure came from...

Great news Smerch!thanks for the update

Hope your father has the same success Bryan

I just had lunch with my Father who is 65 and he just told me that he just found out that he has skin cancer on his nose... I'm wondering if he will follow the same procedure you did... he is a avid runner, every day, rain or shine 6 miles since he was about 30... he thinks that is where the exposure came from...

Thanks again guys , I hope you all pay more attention to the threat of skin cancer as anglers , hunters & general outdoor enthusiasts we need to protect ourselves more than the average person .

Bryan , most nose , ear and other face/scalp skin cancers can be treated with radiation treatments and are highly successful . I actually had a piece missing from my nose which had to be snipped out & filled with other body tissue (from my ear) . I hope your Dad's case is the simpler fix with the radiation and I'm sure that is most likely the case . I wish him good luck , such as I had .

Archived