Let's Say A Few Words 5 Guys And A Child Through Ice

Slevin

the one guy said it good enough "i like ice fishing, but i wanna ice fish every season, not just this one" didnt watch the whole thing.. but i think i get the general picture that those guys pushed there luck abit to far today..

the one guy said it good enough "i like ice fishing, but i wanna ice fish every season, not just this one" didnt watch the whole thing.. but i think i get the general picture that those guys pushed there luck abit to far today..

YES every day Pete does a ice report I think the ice was 4 inches but still soft from this weather,I seen 3 guys and a kid got out , But herd 10 guys 5 guys, JUST WATCH THE NEWS I guess

Wow.....close call ! ......should not have taken a kid out there on 'iffy' ice . Luckily , they made the resue just before dark , it could have been much worse with tragic results.........I'm sure we will hear more about this since these events are happening more frequently .

I just wish people would be more SAFE.

It's fishing

It's suppossed to be fun.

Common sense...

Why risk your life?

Doesnt make sense to me.

IMO

*It's like deliberately going out in a boat in a lighting storm...

It's like "Drifting the Niagara in a 10ft aluminum in Jan...

It's simply not worth it.

Just my opinion

Cooks is just so Well known.

PROBLEM IS ... this aint 20 years ago.

I`m not an advocate of the whole GLOBAL WARMING (blah blah)

But without a doubt, in the last 3 years the conditions for early season ice at COOKS has NOT BEEN what it WAS.

Simple as that.

Dont know why people cant actually SEE THAT right in front of their Faces.
Drive an extra 40 mins to and hour....

And be safe.

Aint complicated

lol

money not a problem yet

But lets say 2 air boats 1 chopper fire dept, ,cops,say 2 hrs rescue equipment man power etc etc HOW long before the people around there say keep my taxes down HOW

KEEP the fishing people out now what

Its too bad thet there are idiots who go out on thin ice and have to be rescued. There are a few around here that go out on the Grand and Martindale pond. When there is ice one day and gone the next?????? If thats not taking a chance what is.

Ice reports are all fine....but one report I watched "Cooks Bay" they showed 4" of ice....the guy walked another 20feet and it was less than 2" ice. Thats just crazy.....for a fish....you have to be nutz. No matter how you warn people....there is some who will allways push the odds.

This is exactly why people should not post "ice reports" on youtube videos! Let people check, and determine if its safe on their own.

When you get a guy walking on 4", and getting guys out there to say how they feel safe, it encourages people to take his word for it. Common sense and experience is being replaced with google searches.

I have to say that I agree with Kevin, about posing videos about ice thickness. Videos can provide a false sense of security.

They only show a small specific area, in short time period. Ice thickness can be different by location and over short time periods.

Ice at cook's bay was shown as 4 inches on Friday, but changed drastically on Saturday with the warm up.

With the warming, you HAVE GOT TO ASSUME conditions will be WORSE.....not better.

It's definitely NOT worth the risk.

Hopefully everybody who fell through is OK.

This is exactly why people should not post "ice reports" on youtube videos! Let people check, and determine if its safe on their own.

When you get a guy walking on 4", and getting guys out there to say how they feel safe, it encourages people to take his word for it. Common sense and experience is being replaced with google searches.

NO this guy does it DAILY and told everone to KEEP off the ice

I was there the week before- friend has a cottage at Gilford- there was still open water in the middle.... Catching perch are fun.. but not worth the risk for a 6 inch fish.

You need several days of minus 10 before its even advisable to think about it-... Anyone want to buy an ice hut? no use in 2 yrs? LOL

Yeah, these guys were foolish. My brother n I drove up to cooch and the ice looked sketchy... So we turned back because a perch just isn't worth the risk. Went to little lake in Barrie instead and caught slabs of Crappie instead where the ice was safe. There's absolutely no reason that there should have been a child involved in this. it's always a sad day when people don't use their heads.

theres a lot to be said about ice reports. peter does a good job but I think that too many reports gets people hot to fish, lot of them don't heed warnings lot of locals think because they live there they know the ice and wander out then people follow etc. its how you make the report. but lately there has been no common sense in people. they put them selves at risk too many times. as much as these reports are for safety they are business driven. you just need to read between the lines.

This is from a post up that way, about how ppl LISTEN

I can well see how and why people get upset each yer when folks go through ice and need a rescue.

But...some points to consider.....the Police will never say the ice is safe..

it is not always out of towners (GTA)..look at last year.......same 2 donks from orillia on 3rd rescue in three years..... blink.gif

We have laws agains drunk driving, but it still happens

So , in the end, no matter how many warnings , signs, posts or whatever...an annual percentge of mishaps will happen.

same with snowmobiles, same with house fires, same with skiers, same with boat owners.

Should they pay.I'm neutral on that one

Do I have sympathy for these induividulas.no

Am I happy to see no lives were lost, yes

, I agree with you, fines will not do the job......some were fined last year.minimal, the real question is were those fines everpaid? I can see that if this desire tohave set fines keeps coming up, I see Insurance companies lobbying for yet another rider.....something to think about

i get emails from peter daily and in no way has he encouraged anyone to go out on cooks bay ice in fact hes been saying the opposite. he keeps sending ice reports up until the time when the ice is safe always stipulating that "its not ready yet guys". im sure he provides this service so when it is time to icefish people will remember him and rent his huts

i get emails from peter daily and in no way has he encouraged anyone to go out on cooks bay ice in fact hes been saying the opposite. he keeps sending ice reports up until the time when the ice is safe always stipulating that "its not ready yet guys". im sure he provides this service so when it is time to icefish people will remember him and rent his huts

Well, I never mentioned anyones name specifically, but while we're on the topic............when he says its ready its ready? No, its ready when you go in person, spud your way out, drill a hole, check the type of ice, and make a decision personally.

I have had 4 calls from buddies already, who called and said "lets rip up to cooks bay and go ice fishing, the ice is good already, I saw guys out on it online".

Well, I never mentioned anyones name specifically, but while we're on the topic............when he says its ready its ready? No, its ready when you go in person, spud your way out, drill a hole, check the type of ice, and make a decision personally.

I have had 4 calls from buddies already, who called and said "lets rip up to cooks bay and go ice fishing, the ice is good already, I saw guys out on it online".

YES, and Pete is telling U in his report to keep off wait etc etc.THIS GUY is the BEST at what he does, he will call a SPADE a SPADE it not worth his rep to get a bad name

I absoulutley can't believe that everything turned out ok. The newspaper report said the police were called when witnesses observed people in the water clinging to ice flows. To be able to mount such a rescue in time is nothing short of miraculous.

Archived